Why become a member? ×

What bass cabs are you using for reggae?

jazzyvee

Rather than hijack the reggae bass thread, i decided to pose my question here. 

I'm just curious about what cabs you use specifically for playing reggae.  Up until about 18 months ago i was using a selection of mesa boogie powerhouse cabs. i had a 4x10, 2x10 and 1x15 that i used in various combinations depending on the gig and if I was going through the Pa or not. Mostly I used the 4x10. I found them to be great all round cabs but for reggae i found that i couldn't feel the bass well off axis and jt didn't do clean and deep at higher volumes effectively and with the band wanting that depth of sound on stage i felt it was struggling to do that without distorting and farting out especially on the low B string and if the volume was up. 

These days I'm using a selection of three Barefaced cabs which deliver lots of good clean and powerful bottom end that i can get whether the volume is low or high on stage and regardless of me bass being in the PA or not. 

i have a bb2, bt2 and dubster2 and the only one i would hesitate to use on it's own on a non PA reggae gig is the BB2.

what are you guys using?

I don't really ever do gigs like this where there isn't pa support, so it's just for stage. I have an epifani 1x15, first series UL i believe and it's lovely. Sometimes I toy with the idea of a second cab for bigger stages, but they're hard to find secondhand, and also most of the time I get to play a bigger stage there's always a lovely big ampeg waiting for me to just plug straight into anyway!

Edited by zranyard

I'll dig out 2 Super Compacts and either of my Aguilar amps.

I wouldn't use 1 cab even if I was in the FOH. I'd need the stage sound to be full and enveloping.

IME FOH can be a mixed blessing. I played with a Reggae band at a festival a couple of years ago and the stage sound was very good. When I heard the recording, taken from out in the audience, the sound guy had killed the sound of the bass by EQing almost exclusively towards the mids!!

• Sad 1

Barefaced bass Dubster V1. I too wanted something that could handle a B string and once I had this I never felt the need to look at cabs again.  I did get a much more powerful amp though! :)

I am curious about how it would sound compare to the V2. V1's are 2x15 rather than 1x18.

1 hour ago, zranyard said:

I don't really ever do gigs like this where there isn't pa support, so it's just for stage. I have an epifani 1x15, first series UL i believe and it's lovely. Sometimes I toy with the idea of a second cab for bigger stages, but they're hard to find secondhand, and also most of the time I get to play a bigger stage there's always a lovely big ampeg waiting for me to just plug straight into anyway!

Most of my gigs are big stages with PA support, but the dep gigs I do are much smaller venues and at soundcheck i often get more bottom end out of my barefaced cabs than through their own pa sub so in those cases they choose to leave me out of the PA.

I would for once like to plug into a big ampeg that sounds clean. i cant ever recall plugging into one provided at a venue and getting anything other than a distorted bass sound. 

I went through a lot of cabs when gigging a lot of reggae. The ones that I really like was a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo 15” paired with MB extension cab, this had nice definition and was light. Also the Ampeg SVT410HLF x 2 was monstrous..and heavy but better sounding to my ears than the 8x10 fridge. The Barefaced Dubster V1 was great too, especially for low UK roots style dub. I’m now using an old Hartke 2x15” when I get together with the reggae boys, sounds sweet and tight at the low end...and no rattle. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/07/2019 at 14:20, jazzyvee said:

Most of my gigs are big stages with PA support, but the dep gigs I do are much smaller venues and at soundcheck i often get more bottom end out of my barefaced cabs than through their own pa sub so in those cases they choose to leave me out of the PA.

I would for once like to plug into a big ampeg that sounds clean. i cant ever recall plugging into one provided at a venue and getting anything other than a distorted bass sound. 

This Friday night I got an Ampeg SVT and an 8x10 cab on my backline for a 80's weekender reggae gig I was less than a year old. Now I get what the deal is with them. That said I still prefer the sound and weight of my barefaced cab. But I was just pleased to hear for myself what all the fuss was with them.