Why become a member? ×

Ibanez sr bass advice.

Jamescullum

Hi all wanting a bit of advice from Ibanez sr users. I have made my mind up that I want to get another sr bass. I have the 300e at the moment but want a higher spec model. I was wondering if you would recommend a brand new 500e say or a second hand 900 but an older one without the switch on the pre amp. Which would be the better bass? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Old is gold for me. I have an pair of 89s, an 800LE and a 1000E which cost less together than a new 500e. I would go second hand base it on the features I’m looking for rather than a higher number. I love the sound of the reversed P and J setup and the older necks are a smidge thicker than the current ones, I think. Hence, the early ones attract me but it’s hard to go wrong with the current roster. They’re generally excellent from the mid-range models up. Find what it is you like and get the one which has that.

D3C0FF37-9E22-4E69-8C4D-1CA98E697DAC.thumb.jpeg.b23c52437c39d7107b7c82e55d7dd725.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Buy one with the Nordy big singles. Different class altogether than the Bartolini's on the cheaper models.

This - Ibby's don't hold their value at all and you can get a mint second hand prestige for between £500-£600 which is a steal for this level of instrument.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, burno70 said:

This - Ibby's don't hold their value at all and you can get a mint second hand prestige for between £500-£600 which is a steal for this level of instrument.

See if you can get a premium, the older prestige's have the bart pickups (although I love my sr1000, the pickups are better on the 1605/2605, and the current prestige's are more than 500 / 600.

the 500s are good (I had one) although not hugely exciting, I don't know the 900 but would expect it to be better. However if you can find a 4 digit one, go for that

• Like 1

Echoing the above really. Get a recent model Premium if you can with the Nord’s in. For a current model Prestige you’re talking circa £1200 not £500. I think there’s an SR 1400 Premium for sale on here around £700. 

• Like 1

In once owned an SR 500 - one of the earlier models. It was an absolutely stunning bass. Great big sound, superb Bartolini pickups and electrics.
I only sold it because I was moving more in the direction of vintage tone. And after getting back into Fenders (with J necks as preference).
The necks are very slim - if you like that sort of thing. Turns out, I like my necks somewhere between a slim Ibanez and a chunky Fender P ;)

I've seen second-hand SR500's going for silly money, given their quality. They turn up on here now & then - get one from a BC member - perhaps place a wanted ad?

17 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

See if you can get a premium, the older prestige's have the bart pickups (although I love my sr1000, the pickups are better on the 1605/2605, and the current prestige's are more than 500 / 600.

the 500s are good (I had one) although not hugely exciting, I don't know the 900 but would expect it to be better. However if you can find a 4 digit one, go for that

I actually meant the premium's - not the prestige. Doh!