Why become a member? ×

Fender American Pro Roasted PJ Precision

NJE

• 2 months later...

I’m starting to gas after this, not for the roast maple neck or daphne blue limited edition finish though.  I like the idea of a pj with separate tone and volume controls for each pick up.

Has anyone got any idea whether Fender are likely to mass produce pj basses like this, with their usual colours or Is this likely to be as limited as they say?

On 20/10/2019 at 23:00, BillyBass said:

I’m starting to gas after this, not for the roast maple neck or daphne blue limited edition finish though.  I like the idea of a pj with separate tone and volume controls for each pick up.

Has anyone got any idea whether Fender are likely to mass produce pj basses like this, with their usual colours or Is this likely to be as limited as they say?

I'd imagine this will be a limited version only.

If you've got a PJ - I would think that a certain Mr. @KiOgon could make you a double stacked knob loom for substantially less than the cost of this Bass!

I’ve just taken a day off to buy one.  I drove to darkest Essex, to Peach Guitars to try one out, and compare it to an American Performer PJ (and a Reverend Thundergun).

I was underwhelmed.  I was hoping the way the tone and volume pots were done, I would get more tones out of it than the American Performer PJ.  Not really.  Maybe if I had played around with the controls a bit more or was listening to it through a different amp I would have heard something more.

The Roasted maple neck is nice but it doesn’t really fit with the Man City colours of the body and pick guard, in my opinion.  It definitely isn’t Bisto like, more Knorr pork gravy colour.

The Reverend Thundergun is really light, at least compared to a Fender P.  Good of you need to stand with one over your shoulder for a couple of hours but it felt like a toy compared to the Fenders I tried.  Tone wise it’s fine but I’m really after a P or a PJ to put rounds on, so it wasn’t for me.

So, I went to a guitar shop, with money, with wifey’s permission and I walked out without buying a bass!  Peach Guitars is great for basses though, if anyone lives near Colchester they are well worth a visit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Love mine.

It's light, the 63 neck profile with 9.5 radius & higher frets just work beautifully. Does look a little unusual that fretboard/headstock, sort of decades of smoke all over it.

As with all P/J's I have, I just dial a touch of the jazz in occasionally for a little growl. Just a personal (lack of) taste thing.

The P pup, tone rolled off, with deep switch on the Mesa is just sublime, even with rounds. It's a lovely versatile passive bass imo.

• Like 2