Left leaderboard
Gamble

Warwick Thumb NT 5 Custom 2003 [FS/FT] £1800
£2000
Norwich

Posted (edited)

Hiya

Rather sadly I'm just not playing my Warwick basses anymore so I think it's time they found a new home, so here's my 2003 Custom Thumb NT 5. 

I bought this bass nearly new quite a few years ago now, it's spent more of that time tucked away in it's case than it should have so it's still looking pretty good - there's a handful of tiny dings here and there, I can try and get pics if you want but most of them aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them (if you see what I mean). 

Custom options wise it's an ovangkol body with an ebony fretboard and a 3 band eq, I had the Dunlop recessed straplocks fitted by the Bass Centre in London where I bought it (if anyone knows Jimmy who used to work there it was him who commissioned the build and sold it to me). Comes with a very solid Warwick flight case and truss rod tool, and of course the straplocks to go with the recessed buttons. 

Apart from that it's a Warwick Thumb Bass, pretty distinctive sound and looks, what else do you need to know? 

Seriously though, don't be shy with any questions or corrections if you know Warwick basses better then me, I'm asking £1800 (was £2000) but as you'd expect the price is negotiable. 

I'll consider trades plus cash either way, I'd be interested in;

Exotic woods/finishes/body shapes on basses, Warwicks with the pre '00s neck profile, Status, Dingwall, something unusual - 5 stringers only. Darkglass heads, barefaced cabs. 

Cheers! 

20190719_104604.jpg

20190719_104631.jpg

20190719_104642.jpg

20190719_104618.jpg

20190719_104706.jpg

20190719_104648.jpg

Edited by Gamble
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don't all NT Thumbs have 3 band EQs? 

Another custom option would be the brass JAN I.

Great looking bass. NT Thumbs have a piano like clarity that only my Ritter Roya can match. They also have one of the tightest Bs in the game!

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 1

I think you're right about the 3 band eq actually, wasn't 100% sure but wanted to mention that it was a 3 band rather than the 2.

14 hours ago, dyerseve said:

Don't all NT Thumbs have 3 band EQs? 

Another custom option would be the brass JAN I.

Great looking bass. NT Thumbs have a piano like clarity that only my Ritter Roya can match. They also have one of the tightest Bs in the game!

No older ones have 2 band. I have two ‘89 Thumbs both 2 band. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gamble is a good guy, deal with confidence. 

Edited by Dood
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2019 at 10:06, Gamble said:

Good knowledge! 

If you like Thumbs they are one of a kind and you can’t go wrong with them. Been gigging a Thumb since ‘97 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Back up she goes, still open to trades and offers. Cheers! 

Edited by Gamble

Back to the top! 

Still interested in trades for interesting 5 strings, Darkglass heads and Barefaced cabs. 

Cheers! 

Hi, interested in your thumb. Do you have any Warwick documents saying the bass is a custom build? I know a lot of warwicks have a custom stamp where the serial numbers are. Thanks Brian 

9 hours ago, Brian45 said:

Hi, interested in your thumb. Do you have any Warwick documents saying the bass is a custom build? I know a lot of warwicks have a custom stamp where the serial numbers are. Thanks Brian 

Hi Brian! I'll have a look and see for you, but I don't remember having anything like that. I did message Warwick asking them to confirm the specs a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back so I'll chase that up too. 

I've been told there's a few (but not many) Ovangkol Thumb NTs out there, but as far as I know they've never been off the shelf with that body wood. 

Cheers! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BenTunnicliffe
      Hi everyone, selling my Overwater Perception Pro Deluxe Custom 5 String with its Overwater/Hiscox Case.

Manufactured 2007 Purchased by me in December 2010 5 String 24 Frets 9V Active 4.6kg (bass on its own) Volume, Pickup Pan, Bass, Mid, Treble, Push/Pull High End Boost Bolt-On Neck Upgraded Overwater PreAmp (Fit By Overwater) Overwater/Hiscox Hardcase Selling Due To No Longer Playing Collection-Only, Cardiff, UK Strung Bb - Gb  
      As far as I can remember, the ‘custom’ in its name denotes it having a non-standard bridge to what was offered at the time of manufacture. In October 2015 I safely sent the bass to Chris May at Overwater for some love & attention and it was at that point in its life that its active preamp was upgraded to the newest model available at the time and a ramp between the pickups was also fit with the most matching wood Overwater were capable of providing. The bass also had a full service while it was with them.
      I do not have Facebook myself but if you were to head to overwater’s FB page you will see an image they uploaded while it was with them in the shop that verifies the date these upgrades were made by them.
      I have no altered the bass in any way myself and it is in remarkable condition. That said, it has been used to me in hundreds of professional environments therefore has the faintest of hairlines present on some of the body/neck but nothing that affects playability. I have always been careful to not let the bass come in contact with belt buckles/belt sanders and if it wasn’t in a hardcase it was always propped up safely on a stand. The gold hardware has began to reflect a slightly more silver/chrome finish due to my hands running over it so regularly.

I have professionally used the bass with much love and care since I bought it and am only parting with it as I no longer have any yearning to be involved in the business. It seems an absolute crime to have this stunning instrument sat in its case doing absolutely nothing.

The bass is for sale for £1050 including the case and I will have to insist on it being pick-up only from Cardiff. The only thing I can imagine being sadder than parting with the bass is for it to be damaged in transit. 
      I would also really like for someone to come and have a play of the bass rather than trying to pay me from overseas and have me deal with a third party here acting as a courier. This is only because it would allow too much room for miscommunication and I am not confident in my ability to safely package something so delicate for international shipping.
      Thanks for reading and I will do my best to reply to any queries asap!

• By tvickey
      Just arrived from Amsterdam today (Bass Connection)... a silver Warwick Chrome Tone LX 5 from 2004.  Seems to be in pretty good shape... the wood body on this thing was chromed at the Warwick factory.  Fingerboard is Ebony and it has bell bronze frets.  MEC pick-ups.  Very nice sound.  It has some very minor scratches and dings which add character, but that also means I won't feel bad about gigging it. 

• By ChrisJaxon
      Price now £280
      I have another bass in-coming, so one has to go, and up for sale is my Squier Contemporary Active HH Jazz 5-string in black. I bought this new in December 2018, and I have used it at a few gigs and jams, and it sounds great, especially with the wide variety of tones you can get from the two humbuckers with the bass and treble boosts. It can really growl as well as honk. It would be a slapper’s delight, but I do not do slap!
      The bass is essentially in as new condition, all original.
      Specification details and video review available on the Andertons website here
      Strung with d’Addario EXL170’s.
      I can post the bass if required, but personal collection and try-out preferred. I live near Stroud in Gloucestershire.

• By topgun
      Hello everyone,
      I have given up on the dream. Middle age has won and I'm selling (nearly) all my gear, including this fantastic instrument. I bought it second-hand, and since then it has never been gigged, just used for fun and recording at home, and always put back in the case (included) at the end of the day. Sounds and plays great, as you would expect from these. It's in a very good cosmetic shape (see pics). 
      Not much to say, really, other than it should go to someone who intends to use it more than me.
      I'm not interested in any trades, sorry. I need to get rid of stuff, not just replace one thing with another. I think I've priced this fairly, so hopefully that helps you make up your mind.
      It's 4.3kg on my bathroom scales.
      Local pickup preferred but I'm willing to meet somewhere not too far from home (South London). Alternatively, I'm in Worthing 2-3 days a week for work, so I could bring it down there if that suits. If you want it delivered, you will have to pay for fully insured posting.
      Happy to answer any questions.
      Thanks
      (Ps. I'm also selling an Xotic XP4, Sire Marcus Miller V7, Markbass CMD 121H combo, and some effects and stuff - look out for those postings as well, if you're interested.)

• By TJ Spicer
      Warwick Starbass II Custom Shop 2010 - £2650 £2375 £2250
      There's only one of these in the world, and I think it's absolutely stunning. Sadly, the neck's too skinny for me to be really comfortable and tonally I'm an Alder+Maple bolt-on traditionalist when it comes to sound, whereas this bass offers some really great harmonic complexity. If you want a bass to draw the attention - this is it. I never cease to get comments from people every time I take it out - aesthetically and sonically. 

It's a Bubinga Body, and Mahogany neck, Ebony fingerboard. The inlays are a gorgeous combination of mother of pearl and abalone. It's bound all the way around with black binding. It's got Warwick's quality bridge and Just-a-Nut III to get the action just where you want it.

It has a few very very tiny marks which I've photographed. It comes with a hulking-great robust flight case which I'm happy to take out of the deal and reduce the price if it's not wanted. This will likely make shipping a little more than usual - but does replace the need for insurance 😉. 

I'm happy to ship, have the bass collected, or meet you somewhere on my travels.

Thank you for looking!