Gamble

Warwick Thumb NT 5 Custom 2003 [FS/FT] £1750
£2000
Norwich

Hiya

Rather sadly I'm just not playing my Warwick basses anymore so I think it's time they found a new home, so here's my 2003 Custom Thumb NT 5. 

I bought this bass nearly new quite a few years ago now, it's spent more of that time tucked away in it's case than it should have so it's still looking pretty good - there's a handful of tiny dings here and there, I can try and get pics if you want but most of them aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them (if you see what I mean). 

Custom options wise it's an ovangkol body with an ebony fretboard and a 3 band eq, I had the Dunlop recessed straplocks fitted by the Bass Centre in London where I bought it (if anyone knows Jimmy who used to work there it was him who commissioned the build and sold it to me). Comes with a very solid Warwick flight case and truss rod tool, and of course the straplocks to go with the recessed buttons. 

Apart from that it's a Warwick Thumb Bass, pretty distinctive sound and looks, what else do you need to know? 

Seriously though, don't be shy with any questions or corrections if you know Warwick basses better then me, I'm asking £1750 but as you'd expect the price is negotiable. 

I'll consider UK trades (can't be dealing with international shipping I'm afraid), ideally with cash my way - I'd be interested in;

Exotic woods/finishes/body shapes on basses, Warwicks with the pre '00s neck profile, Status, Dingwall, something unusual - 5 stringers only. Darkglass heads, barefaced cabs, Line 6 Helix, maybe a Headrush (I'll have to read up on them. 

Cheers! 

20190719_104604.jpg

20190719_104631.jpg

20190719_104642.jpg

20190719_104618.jpg

20190719_104706.jpg

20190719_104648.jpg

Edited by Gamble
Update to price & trades
  • Like 2

Don't all NT Thumbs have 3 band EQs? 

Another custom option would be the brass JAN I.

Great looking bass. NT Thumbs have a piano like clarity that only my Ritter Roya can match. They also have one of the tightest Bs in the game!

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 1

I think you're right about the 3 band eq actually, wasn't 100% sure but wanted to mention that it was a 3 band rather than the 2.

14 hours ago, dyerseve said:

Don't all NT Thumbs have 3 band EQs? 

Another custom option would be the brass JAN I.

Great looking bass. NT Thumbs have a piano like clarity that only my Ritter Roya can match. They also have one of the tightest Bs in the game!

No older ones have 2 band. I have two ‘89 Thumbs both 2 band. 

• Like 1

Gamble is a good guy, deal with confidence. 

Edited by Dood
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2019 at 10:06, Gamble said:

Good knowledge! 

If you like Thumbs they are one of a kind and you can’t go wrong with them. Been gigging a Thumb since ‘97 

• Like 1

Back to the top! 

Still interested in trades for interesting 5 strings, Darkglass heads and Barefaced cabs. 

Cheers! 

Hi, interested in your thumb. Do you have any Warwick documents saying the bass is a custom build? I know a lot of warwicks have a custom stamp where the serial numbers are. Thanks Brian 

9 hours ago, Brian45 said:

Hi, interested in your thumb. Do you have any Warwick documents saying the bass is a custom build? I know a lot of warwicks have a custom stamp where the serial numbers are. Thanks Brian 

Hi Brian! I'll have a look and see for you, but I don't remember having anything like that. I did message Warwick asking them to confirm the specs a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back so I'll chase that up too. 

I've been told there's a few (but not many) Ovangkol Thumb NTs out there, but as far as I know they've never been off the shelf with that body wood. 

Cheers! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Raslee
      Higher end 'Cort GB5 Custom' in great condition, low action, 34" scale, B is super tight and sounds huge, usual minor marks top of headstock. Comes with Cort gig bag and can be well boxed for transportation if required. New strings about to be fitted. Really is a fantastic bass which i ended up keeping over 2 x Laklands, Stingray 5 and a higher end Yamaha bass - I can't imagine a better 5 string for this price.
      This bass had a John East Uni pre amp fitted which improved the overall tone tenfold. It can also be switched between Active & Passive with a very handy passive tone. The extra dip switches puts the Seymour Duncan pickups in parallel with each other and the other switches between active/passive.
      Specs from the t'interweb:
      . BODY: Swamp Ash with Spalted Maple Top
      · •NECK: Canadian Hard Maple
      · •FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius (400mm)
      · •FRETS: 22 / Large (2.7mm)
      · •SCALE: 34" (864mm)
      · •INLAY: Rectangular White Pearl
      · •TUNERS: Hipshot lic.
      · •BRIDGE: EB12(5)
      · •PICKUPS: Seymour Duncan SJ5-3N & SMB-5D
      •ELECTRONICS: Upgraded to John East Uni
      All in all a fantastic bass for the money that I will miss dearly but I need something lighter. 
      Bargain - now £375  (Have a good box for packing) or collection from Plymouth.
      May consider trades up or down for a 5 string bass strictly under 8.5lbs in weight. This one weighs in a exactly 10.2lbs.
      Weird camera angle shot (kind of makes the bass look twisted .....)

£375

• By Jarczan
      NEW PRICE 1000 !!!!
      Body: Afzelia(front) + Sycamore Thin Layer +  Bubinga(back) Construction: Neck-Through-Body Fingerboard: Ebony with Blue Led Dots Neck: Shedua with Flamed Sycamore Strips Scale: 34 String spacing: around 19mm Tuners: Gotoh Pickups: EMG 40P5 + EMG40DC Electronics: EMG BQC System 18V (Vol - Balance - Stack Mid/MidFreq - Stack Treble/Bass) Bridge: Brass Hipshot A Style Shaller Straplocks Included Hard Case Included Weight around: 5.1kg / 11lbs The bass recently came back from the luthier:
      The old keys were replaced with new Gotohs Old Schaller Bridge was replaced with a new Hipshot A Style Electronics upgraded to 18V One EMG 40DC replaced by EMG 40P5 New frets Fingerboard sanding before placing new frets Setup for 40-120 strings Bass is located in Poznań, Poland. I'd prefer to keep it EU only.
      Money adjustment to be discussed.

• By DanTM
      Hello there !

So I fell in love with a Sandberg which I've already ordered and since I am not Richie Rich I need to sell something to raise the funds for this aka live in peace with the mother of my children.

I have to admit that this move is stupid since it burns the money I've spent in the blink of an eye but the love for the Sandberg is so strong ..... I don't care.

Up for sale is the Warmoth PJ project that has just been finished and is built from only highclass parts. So far has been played on for maybe 3 hours so it is like new !

Warmoth Custom Body
      Model: Chambered P Bass®
      Orientation: Right handed
      Scale: 34"
      Wood: Flame Maple on Mahogany
      Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
      Battery Box: No Battery Box Rout
      Top Finish: Transparent Purple
      Back Finish: Transparent Purple
      Finish Type: Satin Finish

Warmoth Custom Neck
      Style: J Bass®
      Orientation: Right Handed
      Neck Wood/Hals: Roasted Flame Maple
      Fingerboard/Griffbrett Wood: Ebony
      Nut Width: 1-1/2" (38mm)
      Fret Size/Bünde: 6150
      Tuner Ream: BML (17.5mm)
      Radius: 10"
      Scale: 34"
      Fret #: 21
      Pre-Cut Installed String Nut/Sattel: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
      Inlays: Cream Face Dots
      Side Dots: White Side Dots
      Stiffening Rods:Standard Steel Rods

I put several layers of TruOil on the neck and put one seal of wax on it in the end - Feels just awesome and looks amazing !

Tuners: HipShot UltraLite
      Bridge: HipShot Style A Aluminium Bridge
      Pickups: Sandberg Black Label
      Electrics: Noll TCM 4 XM (B 2083) - Runs with 2 x 9 Volt batteries = 18 V for more headroom
      Potis: 3 x Tandem
      Pins: Schaller Security Locks
      String retainer: Sandberg

At the moment it is set up for D Standard --> DGCF

4,5 KG

This baby was put together by a professional luthier in Germany (Acys Guitar Lounge). It received the best treatment and all the routings and the electric cavity was shielded professionally.

This is what it cost me:
      Pickups: 230 EUR
      Bridge: 130 EUR
      Electrics inkl. Potis: 200 EUR
      Body and Neck incl. shipping and all taxes: 1500 EUR
      Tuners: 145 EUR
      Security Locks: 20 EUR
      Luthier costs to put it together professionally: 630 EUR

In total: 2.855 EUR

I put it up for sale for 1.670 GBP inlcuding ...

... shipping to anywhere within the European Union
      ... standard Sandberg Gigbag
      ... higher insurance

I am not interested in a trade

You can play and pick it up in Munich/Germany and pay in cash if you want to. You can also pay by bank transfer (You cover the transfer costs) or by PayPal (Family & Friends only)

If you want to I can make more pictures.

• By Hellzero
      CONKLIN Groove Tools GT6, originally a GT7 that became a GT8 and now is a GT6, the missing link.

Would prefer selling it, hence the low price, but trades are always welcome, especially for a fretless bass : 4, 6 or 8 (no octave strings) strings unlined are my preferences.

If you want a wide strings spacing bass, this one is for you. Sounds like a full Bartolini fitted bass, with loads of bass and precise highs. Also has SIMS Custom Led's installed.

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £850 GBP !!!

In fully working condition and in excellent overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : 2 pieces swamp ash with a bookmatched flamed maple top
      Neck : bolt on 7 pieces of wenge and purpleheart
      Fingerboard : purpleheart with side (and also front) Led dots
      Frets : 24 (no wear at all)
      Headstock : 3 + 3 shape (angled) with butterfly and cross inlay back lit by a Led
      Pickups : 2 active Bartolini P4
      Preamp : Conklin/Bartolini 2 bands
      Controls : volume, blend, bass, treble, switch for the Led's 
      Tuners : Gotoh
      Bridge : brass Warwick two pieces
      Strings spacing at bridge : 20 mm
      Nut : bone
      Strings spacing at nut : 11 mm
      Knobs : metal
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : black
      Truss rods : 2 (fully working)
      Output jack : locking Neutrik
      Finish : gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : Korea
      Serial number : none
      Year : discontinued in 2005 is all I can say
      Weight : 5.4 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the C string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with a brand new semi-rigid case modified to accommodate the very long bass side horn.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

I'm only selling this bass because I don't need it anymore being a fretless player and it's too heavy for my broken back.

Here is the long story short : I got it as a GT8, but the strings spacing was too narrow, and as I like wide strings spacing I decided to have it converted to a non existing GT6 aka the missing link, removing the two extra tuners, cutting the unnecessary headstock and replacing the existing tuners with better quality real Gotoh. I ordered a made to measure Hipshot 20 mm strings spacing bridge that was never made after 3 months, so I opted for a Warwick 2 pieces bridge instead. This bass is really easy to play and really deserves the name wide neck. 

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC. It has two new batteries (one for the preamp and one for the Led's) and has been fitted with a brand new set of D'Orazio nickel-plated steel round wound strings (30 - 45 - 65 - 85 - 105 - 125), which fit the bass to perfection and will also be delivered with a spare set of these exact same strings fitted on another bass for less than one hour.
        Here's the link to the original ad : 

Here Billie Jean played by Johan when it was still a GT8. Hope you don't mind @therealting : Billie Jean - Conklin Custom 8 String Bass.mp3

What you see is what you get !

Look at the pictures taken under different angles to see the real condition : almost in new condition with no visible dings.

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By Acebassmusic
      I've reduced my Ritter down to £4,800 Trade offers welcome.

Here’s something you don’t see up for sale everyday……a Ritter! Not only that, it’s a 10th Anniversary Limited Edition from 2007……and its number 1 of 10.  I have taken great care of this bass and it in mint condition only having had light use. I am the second owner and bought the bass in July 2008. It comes with the original certificate of authenticity, truss rod tools and lightweight Ritter case as shown in one of the links below. I'm open to partial / full trades. Lets see what ya' got.

The Roya has a one piece quilted redwood top, one piece flamed maple back. The flame maple back is by far the most 3d piece of flamed maple I've seen. Flamed maple neck with an ebony fretboard and a 24K solid gold sword inlay at the 12th fret. The electronics are active / passive.

Shape: Roya
      Number of Strings: 5
      Scale 35" (889mm)
      17.5mm string spacing at the bridge
      Hardware : Gold
      Body-Wood: Flamed Maple - One Piece
      Body-Top: Quilted Redwood - One Piece
      Body-Finish: Transparent High Gloss
      Neck-Wood: Maple Construction Bolt on 3-Piece
      Neck-Finish: Transparent High Gloss
      Fingerboard: Ebony
      Electronics: RITTER MASTER Parametric
      Pickup Bridge position: RITTER MASTER Triple/Slim with ebony cover
      Pickup Neck position: RITTER MASTER Triple/Slim with ebony cover
      Weight 4,2 ( 9.24 lbs)
      Bridge / String Attachment: Ritter 3D / B1 String Attachment
      Tuners: RITTER BT - Custom made by Gotoh
      Nut: Bone
      Strap Buttons: Schaller Security Locks
      Special Features: 10th Anniversary 24K Gold Inlay Limited Edition Nr. 1/10

Link to my Google photos album : https://goo.gl/photo...qNUK1UxboVm4sy7
      Ritter 10th Anniversary Bass Page : https://ritter-instr...dition-10th.php
      Ritter 10th Anniversary Bass Page showing my bass and me (hopefully that won’t put you off!) : https://ritter-instr..._info.php?i=273
      This is an album of photos I found on the net (my bass but not my photos) which shows the case it comes with : https://get.google.c...lK5Z?source=pwa
      Similar Ritter 10th Anniversary Bass on Reverb website : https://reverb.com/i...maple-bass-2006