Why become a member? ×

I Love Gigging!

Jazzmaster62

pretty much the only reason I keep playing bass is for gigging, can't see the point of it otherwise. Guitar I could happily play at home or with mates around the campfire but the bass is an ensemble instrument IMO and only sounds decent in the context of a band. That said, I could listen to Bobby Vega play solo all day so Im talking tosh really, but the general rule applies!

• Like 3

If I wasn't gigging I'd probably barely play. I currently play around 100 weddings / functions a year (I refuse to play pubs - not my thing at all) and when one is finished, I'm already looking forward to the next. I'm fortunate enough to have a really enjoyable day job that allows me flexibility to gig lots and a hobby that I adore which also pays well. Yeah there are moments when people get a bit annoying but that goes with the territory in any job. 

I don't miss it; it's been 18 months or so.  I used to think it was the peak of musical creativity; getting it out there.  Meh.

The constant drudgery of midweek 100+ mile round trips to play 'well promoted' shows to a handful of people, the stream of two faced promoters and club owners who never even offered to cover our fuel expenses, or the one who actually charged us for water and two Magnum lollies after we'd driven 100 miles to get to his shitfest and had to pay for parking (he told us there was limited parking to the rear of the venue for staff and he would clamp us if we parked there).  Ooh, I could go on.  That nasty smell of cheese, beer and smoke that I just couldn't shift from my gear after playing the St. Moritz.  The way that if you supported a 'biggish in the 80s', C-list name band how they just ignored you.  Travelling to Italy and gigging in Milan and Turin; the realisation that you really don't like the other guys in the band and how we just split into three factions for the duration.  Oh, it was crap, generally.

Recording is so much nicer.  Decent coffee, pizza delivery, easy, home by 10.30pm.

• Like 4

I find recording exhausting.   On the other hand I’ve always enjoyed gigging, since the late fifties in fact. OK, I’ve driven from Banbury to Fleetwood for an audience of 6 but most of the time it’s very much the other side of the coin. I don’t do quite as much as I did but I’ve got a regular Tuesday paid gig that I look forward to. 

I play in 2 bands at the moment. One is a long established, busy gigging band, with musicians of a professional level. The second band is a collection of more amateur, less experienced musicians, who love getting together and playing music for their own pleasure. I like rehearsing with the second band but love playing gigs with the first one.

Music is meant to be played in front of an audience, it's meant to be shared. Playing live gigs is where the magic happens.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

Based on admittedly limited experience, I can take it or leave it. To me the music is the important thing, whether I am playing in front of an audience of punters, playing alongside other musicians privately or at rehearsal or even playing along to a record or video at home. I do not need an audience to enjoy playing or even care about giving others happiness via my playing. I like playing for me because I love music. 

• Like 2

as others have said, if it wasn't for gigs I wouldn't pick my bass up, sure there's bad gigs and hassle, getting there, setting up, hanging around (and worse, getting home afterwards) but when you get a good gig, for me,  it makes it all worthwhile.

Don't really like recording loads of hanging around while others do their bits, and don't get me started on the mixing, very boring

I think I would enjoy the recording process if I was in a talented recording band creating new stuff but that's not my forte and I've never been in a proper originals band so it's the live work that keeps me going despite how much I might have a whinge about whichever act I'm in at the time. I don't think I'd last very long just staying at home and learning other people's stuff as an academic exercise, other interests would take over and I'd be selling my gear before too long. I'm not even sure how long I've got left as a gigging bassist as it is, it will probably tie in with how long I have left in full time work.

I absolutely hate the build up to a gig, we don't gig often so we put in some extra practice. Then there's the nerves for a couple of days before and that gut wrenching fear on the day then the gig itself is usually great fun after the first couple of songs. Despite all that if it wasn't for gigs I wouldn't really see the point in it all , each to their own obviously but at my age ... playing my bass in the bedroom doesn't really do it for me any more

I can just about cope with the set up as there is the anticipation of having a job on and trying to do your best but the breakdown is a PITA. I'd love to earn enough from a gig to take someone and pay them to break my gear down and load the car.

I love gigging that much I do regular open mics playing acoustic guitar and singing, my partner on drums, in some ways it's more enjoyable than the band gigs, no setting up just turn up and plug in, no pay so no pressure, have a few pints chat with other open micers and spend the night in the pub

Yes. I love playing live, to the point where a week or so ago I figured if I hadn't had to work for a living and do other family stuff I might have applied for the Edinburgh Royal Tattoo job purely for the joy of performing.  

I was late into playing bass.  Had my first paying gig at 51 and I'm soon about to crash headfirst into 62.  For me being part of a band and making music feels like the piece of me that was missing all those years has finally fallen into place.  So as a result of that I love every single aspect of it.  I love practicing at home.  I love getting new gear and tinkering with it.  Even a new lead will make me smile :)  I love it when the band decide on a new song to play and so I get to learn something new.  Then, when we get to rehearse it the first time, when it all falls into place and we nail it.  Absolutely love all this - to be a part of a group of people who, through just playing instruments, can create (or recreate) some powerful music from nothing is an amazing experience.  But gigging... gigging is something special - that wave of appreciation you get back is a feeling like few others.  To know that you have contributed to a whole bunch of people's enjoyment is absolutely brilliant.  

• Like 5

Nothing like that buzz (well nothing legal) of that moment when everything is working well, the crowd love it, you are on fire and it’s what life is about. I wouldn’t bother with all the other crap otherwise. If it wasn’t for gigs I would probably noodle a bit now and again and then do something else.

Guest oZZma
8 hours ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Anyone else thinking playing live is the pinnacle of being in a band? 

If you enjoy it, of course it is. Some people seem to be born to be on a stage, and I envy them, but it's not me.