Why become a member? ×

Any Italian builders out there?

honza992

My other half is Italian.  But as happens to all Italians who have been here for more than a few years, the lack of sun has finally defeated her.  She likes the UK, she even likes us, for God's sake, but she simply can't understand how any country can have such consistently dreary weather.  She can't accept that it's possible to go through all of July and two thirds of August before you get a decent day of sunshine.  I've tried to introduce her to the joy of a deserted, wind-swept Welsh beach, 15 degrees in summer and sand in your sandwiches, but I'm afraid she just doesn't get it. 

So long story short we're moving to Italy, most likely at the beginning of next year. 

So I was wondering if there are any Italian builders out there?  We're probably going to be in Tuscany/Liguria, somewhere between Pisa and Genoa.  

Ciao for now!

Interesting, as a ginger who retreats at even a slight beam of sunlight, I've been struggling with the heat for weeks.  Feels like we're talking about different countries......

Admittedly it is not like this every year....

Hope your relocation goes well.  My dad's mate was married to an Italian lady and when we were kids I just remember regular visits to their house for days of coffee and amazing food.

I'm originally from Florence, so I may sound biassed if I recommend moving to Tuscany! :D (And tell your wife I do feel for her re. the weather. This country is really, really lucky to have so much more going on for it, or nobody would stay who wasn't born here - at least until 31st October...)

I left Italy the best part of three decades ago, so I don't know any Italian luthiers personally, however, I have carried out an instant search on google.it with these results:

Biarnel Liuteria from Cascina (Pisa)

Liuteria Russo near Turin

Jaracanda in Milan

Persegato near Vicenza in Veneto

Ross Liuteria, in Milan, apparently headed by a woman!!! ( 😮 😛 )

I'm sure a more detailed search will find many more. :)

Good luck with your move.

• Like 1

All the best for the relocation. We abandoned ship this February for Germany, Mrs O. being of that ilk and wanted to go home.

Regardless of luthiers and not being particularly adventurous it's the best thing that I've done for a long time. 🙂

On 19/07/2019 at 21:45, Jabba_the_gut said:

Keep posting your builds on here when you get set up over there as they are fantastic! You can skip any pictures of the food, scenery, weather or your drum sander.....!

All the best 

Relic ?

Thanks all, some good stuff for me to look up.  I love biarnel and Wood & Tronics, and lots of others I hadn't come across so I appreciate all of your posts!

Any amateur builders in Tuscany/Liguria?

@Silvia Bluejay  She's from Massa Carrara, so Tuscan, though we may head up into Liguria.  Chiavari is a possiblity.....Where are you from?

If you can ignore the politics and the bureaucracy (and that's a pretty big if), then Italy has lots going for it.  They really do like children there.  In restaurants the neighbouring tables will actually talk to Natasha (who's 3 and needs no encouragement), rather than just put up with her as mostly they do here.  The waiters will happy whisk her away to go and meet the chef leaving you alone for a precious 5 minutes without a tiny person asking 'why' repeatedly.....

On 24/07/2019 at 10:29, Andyjr1515 said:

Trust you will carry on with your immaculate builds ;)

I've got one starting this very day!  😁  There's a bit of time before we go....like ummm 6 months....so I shall shamelssly keep stealing Basschat communal knowedge before unleashing it on the unsuspecting Italians.....

On 19/07/2019 at 09:31, Huge Hands said:

Interesting, as a ginger who retreats at even a slight beam of sunlight, I've been struggling with the heat for weeks.  Feels like we're talking about different countries......

HH, today has been record breaking, but when I mention that to Mrs Honza she looks at me witheringly then says she's cold and can I find her jumper.  Honestly, it's as though we are biologically different animals....

Let me vouch for Meridian Basses.

The guy's in Avezzano - in the Abruzzo region. It's the town I'm originally from.

Went to see him once and he looked a genuinely good guy - I like the aesthethic of some of his instruments, however I've never played one. Still, I hear good things.

It's quite far from where you're going to move at (we're talking central Italy here, Rome level), but do get in touch with him!

Also, I second recommendation for Wood&Tronics. He makes some really great looking basses - imo - and they sound very modern and bright, a-la fodera.

Divertitevi! ;)