Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop Phil Lynott P Bass - mental price

Edenburgh

1 hour ago, bakerster135 said:

Guy's clearly never heard of Thin Lizzy. For one, they're not called "Thin Lizzie", and for two, there's definitely not a lot of buzz around them at the moment! 😂 

Indeed, although 20th August would have been Phil Lynott's 70th birthday 😮

On 24/07/2019 at 16:56, Low End Bee said:

Just wondering what accessories the Fender Custom Shop Sid Vicious P Bass comes with?

They did a good job recreating the bloodstains!  😋

sid-vicious-13.jpg

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Sad 1

Just weighing in here.  Price and legacy aside, how would John Cruz go about building 60 of these?  Building 60 of anything is hard work and monotonous; just think about putting together 60 Billy bookcases.  I put seven together once and I was actually thinking suicide would be a better option at one point.

Does ol' Cruzy just pop down to the the neck and body blank area in the Fender warehouse, bolt everything together and burn in the custom shop logo on the reverse of the headstock OR does he have a team doing the work for which he takes the credit OR does he in fact build everything from freshly hewn timbers? 

• Like 4

On 19/07/2019 at 21:22, Dood said:

If you want to get a Fender "Lynott" bass - and you can find one (like I did) then my very strong recommendation (to which you will be amazed at the quality) will be a Japanese made, non-export model PB70-US BLK which had the option of coming with a mirror scratch plate.

An insanely nice piece of Japanese craftwork from a period when they were knocking out top quality for about £500 delivered to the UK. 

Ummm.. something else I stupidly sold.. will.never.learn.

SSC_0008.JPG

Ah yes, it's mine now.... twas I who purchased said lovely P bass from you Mr Dood :)

Insanely good P bass that is much more befitting as a PL tribute.

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Ah yes, it's mine now.... twas I who purchased said lovely P bass from you Mr Dood :)

Insanely good P bass that is much more befitting as a PL tribute.

I'm afraid it's not the same one my buddy! I sold mine to Frusty and tried to buy it back last year ha ha!! Unless he ended up selling it, mind! That said, anyone who has one of these will LOVE it :) 

On 24/07/2019 at 16:52, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. So there is. Says it has a Bass Collection bridge, but is fitted with a BABICZ 🤔

That's odd, some of The Bass Centre basses can come with or without the BabicZ fitted (which is an extra £100 option on some models, which you can choose at the checkout), but it doesn't seem to be an option on the Lizzy bass:

http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/the-bass-centre-lizzy-bass.html

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dood said:

I'm afraid it's not the same one my buddy! I sold mine to Frusty and tried to buy it back last year ha ha!! Unless he ended up selling it, mind! That said, anyone who has one of these will LOVE it :) 

I def bought mine on here.... must've been from someone else!

I’m sure it’s already been said, but you could buy a tasty 77/78/79 precision in black for about £1400/£1500 and a nice mirror pickguard for about £50 (Fender had them as spares when they made the Steve Harris...)

and then have a nice holiday. And a new car...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m sure it’s already been said, but you could buy a tasty 77/78/79 precision in black for about £1400/£1500 and a nice mirror pickguard for about £50 (Fender had them as spares when they made the Steve Harris...)

and then have a nice holiday. And a new car...

+ 1 Or even buy an Ibanez as used by Mr Lynott during that era for even less money (and they are very nice basses from personal experience of that time).

Edited by 3below

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oooo... I'd wager a small amount that somebody has made a small mistake there, with the photo's showing the bass with a £100 upgraded bridge.

As I'm sure you know, The Bass Collection bridge is what The Bass Center describe as:

Bridge Vintage - Style Roller Bridge

If Sims are selling that bass as pictured for £325 -- Looks like a bit of a bargain one way or another!

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 22:07, gjones said:

' Includes custom Anvil case, custom studded leather strap and custom studded wristband, mirrored aviator sunglasses and Certificate of Authenticity.'

Oooooooooooh!!!!!

One and a half grand for the bass, ten and a half grand for the shades, belt, wristband and a bit of stencilling!

• Haha 1

On 18/07/2019 at 21:52, ezbass said:

OK, it’s built by John Cruz, but FFS, it’s a P bass at nearly £12k! I don’t think so.

Scandalous price!  Leo always claimed to make high quantity basses not high quality.Fender appear to be cashing in on the recent death of Philomena Lynott. Saw Phil use his P bass in concert and pretty certain at Croydon Greyhound a I'm sure it didn't have a Badass bridge. I could put a mirror pickguard on my SX and save well over 11 grand  a d I challenge anyone to notice the difference!  

2 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

It's not even a complete replica for that £12k - where is the Yamaha BB3000 bridge pickup that was fitted to Phil's #1?

Aye.   Here's another thing bugging me about this :

"Master Builder John Cruz has painstakingly recreated this bass in precise detail, as only a Custom Shop Master Builder can..."..."Not only is this limited-edition bass a true-to-the-era replica"....."a lacquer finish to let the body breathe with more tonal resonance"

Ummmmm.  Late 70s was the era of lashings and lashings of poly as far as I recall.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The cost of this bass is a total rip off...and in actual fact has quite a few discrepancies to the ones Phil actually played. For example..this new one seems to feature an 80's style logo (Phil's were the 70's version)..plus his flight case didn't have this exuberant logo on..just a much smaller "Phil Lizzy Thin Lizzy" stencil bold configuration. Having played one of them at Philomenas I can vouch for this and have plenty of photos. So, in terms of a "custom replica" I think they are bending the truth. Just buy a 70"s Precision...fit a Badass and mirror scratchplate for well under half this cost. Fender need to give themselves a nip

• Like 3

My old 70's p bass was bronzed and used for the Phil statue in Dublin. My only claim to fame! The guys at the Guitar Emporium in Belfast had Phil's black p bass in the shop courtesy of Philomena and they spec'd mine to match Phil's before the bronze casting.

Edited by krispn
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, krispn said:

My old 70's p bass was bronzed and used for the Phil statue in Dublin.

Respect to you, Sir :)

phil-lynott-statue.jpg

Most times I'm over in Dublin I stop by this statue and give a nod to The Great Man. I've always wondered how they did the bass and where it came from.

And now I know :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 5

Yup mine was a non-original '79. It had the paint stripped and a non-original bridge when I got in it trade for Ibanez!!! The shop were actually selling the bass on my behalf as I was moving to Scotland, where I now reside. They had ot for a while in the shop and called me one day to declare they were gonna buy it. When I asked why the change of heart they insisted I get to the shop and all would be revealed!

Here it was before it got bronzed holding down the low end for swagger-core pioneers Bloodbath Callaghan and The Warcrimes

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 14.11.28.png

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 14.12.37.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1