Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop Phil Lynott P Bass - mental price

Edenburgh

18 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

So if they sell out, like many M&S items do, will they send a substitute?

Only if you look bloody young but are just backdated with high heels. because simple things you see are all complicated.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 00:27, skankdelvar said:

One's first reaction is 'Oh, do fück off, Fender'. The second is 'For how much less than £12k could I knock one of those up?'

And - as I never cease to mention - Lynott's back-up P-bass went for meagre £800 at auction a couple of years after he died, mainly because he'd thoroughly p1ssed his reputation up the wall after he left Lizzy :(

Don't get me wrong, I think he was a great man but there was a period of about five years either side of his death when he was regarded by many as a sad joke, hence the paltry auction price. How times change.

Ha, saw the bass yesterday in Dublin. 

402DDFAB-6141-4C77-BC58-A43F4E4E2E00.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It seems that price raises lots of interest and discussion (Alembic, Fender...), so should we simply have a topic for prices. No BS, no guessing of the owner, just the bass and the price? Like a simple list that anyone can admire? As a reference, some classical music instrument prices might be a nice addition.

Yes, Limelight could make a better instrument for fraction of the price. But this is useless speculation.

On 19/07/2019 at 17:40, skankdelvar said:

It's a bit like the Gibson Hendrix Strat package over in the current Gibson thread which included a (printed) tie-dye tee shirt and a bandana. It's all a bit w@nky, as if we're really going to dress up like our heroes and go 'Look, Mum, I'm Hendrix'. 

But you know in fifty years time it could be worth a lot on antiques roadshow if all the bits are kept together... Or a holographic recreation of Fiona Bruce will just say "nah, they were sh!te"

• Haha 1

On 19/07/2019 at 20:46, skankdelvar said:

There's nothing wrong with purloining the occasional sartorial cue from those musicians who have played a formative role in our personal development just as long as we don't overdo it. For myself, I specifically wear the same brand of socks as did the late Mr John Entwistle during the period 1973 -1998 (M&S towelling socks / Black) but I don't make a song and dance about it; it's a discreet homage between me and my shoes.

But dressing up as Hendrix in a tie-dyed tee-shirt and a bandana would be de trop unless, perhaps, one were performing in a Hendrix tribute act like the gentleman pictured below. Crikey! You'd swear it was Jimi come back from the grave.

573ea794a7dc0_300_sq

Pie Hendricks

On 18/07/2019 at 22:06, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

It isn't a musical instrument - its a collector's piece.

Any sold will probably never be played but will live in a glass cabinet.

With a little printed plate that says

"Looks like Phil Lynotts one" 😆

• Haha 3

Chris
Hi, can I provide you with any information or product advice?

Client
No thank you, I was just looking at the Fender CS Phil Lynott bass.

Chris
Hi good afternoon!
Many thanks for getting in touch, phenomenal bass - there's only 60 being made, 19 are coming to Europe and we're lucky enough to be getting 2!
This as you can imagine has had lots of interest from collectors, it's such a desirable bass to own

Client
I'd figured as much, at that price it's not going to go to a player.

Chris
You never know
there's a lot of buzz around Thin Lizzie at the moment
ultimately it's a bass made by John Cruz, you get what you pay for, the guy is a genius

Client
Undoubtedly.
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to come to your website and start a debate. I merely came to see if the reported price was indeed correct. The last thing I want to do is take up your time.

Chris
Not a problem at all, please don't worry about that - yes I can confirm the price is correct - please don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else, we're online 7 days a week.
It was nice talking to you. If you require anymore advice you can email me on [email protected] or call us on 0800 456 1959. Have a great day, bye for now!

• Haha 1

I mean, the Phil Lynott bass is a snip at £11,699. The real value for money offer is the special EVH 1979 Bumblebee Tribute, which is a bargain at only £15,729. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190717346254008--evh-1979-bumblebee-tribute-replica-blackyellow

I have always wondered what a band featuring Phil Lynott and Eddie Van Halen would have sounded like. Now (just as soon as myself and my brother find an elusive £27,428) we will be able to find out!

What a time to be alive. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, thodrik said:

I mean, the Phil Lynott bass is a snip at £11,699. The real value for money offer is the special EVH 1979 Bumblebee Tribute, which is a bargain at only £15,729. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190717346254008--evh-1979-bumblebee-tribute-replica-blackyellow

I have always wondered what a band featuring Phil Lynott and Eddie Van Halen would have sounded like. Now (just as soon as myself and my brother find an elusive £27,428) we will be able to find out!

What a time to be alive. 

HAHAHAHHA! I thought the same with that insane EVH guitar. They talk about case candy like it makes up for about £5k of the price. You get special plectrums. Thanks.