Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop Phil Lynott P Bass - mental price

Edenburgh

So, one fender custom shop bass or how many original period Fender, Rickenbacker, Yamaha, Ibanez and Roland basses that Phil used can I buy? I think I could probably get one of everything and have change. Great bass player, a lifetime influence on my playing.  Must be a typo?

Edited by 3below

If a Fender master builder has gone to extreme lengths to built an exact replication of that original bass and undertook the research and buildwork entirely by himself then I can imagine that the hours spent on the bass would result in a much higher than normal price.  Considering that the original bass was a standard P bass with a few modifications, then I would suspect that this bass is for the wealthy Thin Lizzy fan and collectors only. It isn't designed as a 'player's bass' so I'm not really going to get my knickers in a twist over the price. It is what it is.

I mean, I love passive Precision basses (my main bass for twenty years is a passive S9 series) but in my opinion a good American Professional/American Original series bass will probably be just as good as a three grand Fender Custom shop passive Precision. In fact, since most of the Custom Shop basses seem to be designed with 7.5" radius, I would prefer the 9.5" radius on the Professional/American Vintage basses.  An exact spec 1960s Fender Jazz or Precision is not really an aspiration for me though. If it was though then I would probably look at a custom shop in the £3000 range before considering paying £6,000+ for a mid/late Precision or Jazz.

One's first reaction is 'Oh, do mess off, Fender'. The second is 'For how much less than £12k could I knock one of those up?'

And - as I never cease to mention - Lynott's back-up P-bass went for meagre £800 at auction a couple of years after he died, mainly because he'd thoroughly wee-wee'd his reputation up the wall after he left Lizzy :(

Don't get me wrong, I think he was a great man but there was a period of about five years either side of his death when he was regarded by many as a sad joke, hence the paltry auction price. How times change.

Edited by Sibob
swears
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, gjones said:

' Includes custom Anvil case, custom studded leather strap and custom studded wristband, mirrored aviator sunglasses and Certificate of Authenticity.'

Oooooooooooh!!!!!

To me, these additions ramp it up to Cringe Factor 10😎

• Like 3

19 hours ago, gjones said:

' Includes custom Anvil case, custom studded leather strap and custom studded wristband, mirrored aviator sunglasses and Certificate of Authenticity.'

Oooooooooooh!!!!!

4 hours ago, Donnyboy said:

To me, these additions ramp it up to Cringe Factor 10😎

It's a bit like the Gibson Hendrix Strat package over in the current Gibson thread which included a (printed) tie-dye tee shirt and a bandana. It's all a bit w@nky, as if we're really going to dress up like our heroes and go 'Look, Mum, I'm Hendrix'. 

If manufacturers are going to be doing retro classic rock case candy then they should strive for greater authenticity and include a handwritten set list, an empty miniature of Jack Daniels, a cling film wrap of red Leb and an opened packet of Benson & Hedges.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Someone , somewhere is going to turn up to play a gig with this in its case and be like "yeah, it was Phil's bass, you know".   

For the record, I used to play in a Thin Lizzy tribute act.  I went as far as playing a 70s precision but drew the line at a mirrored guard.   (In fact a member if this here forum has recently taken ownership of said bass)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

It's all a bit w@nky, as if we're really going to dress up like our heroes and go 'Look, Mum, I'm Hendrix'. 

Wait, what? We're not? 

Ummmm........... :$ [slides slowly out the room to get changed] 

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 3

I'm going to buy 5. Phil was a great bass player and this will be a fitting tribute.  In other news this week I finally retired after trying 5 years ago,  I was also served my divorce papers today, one day before going on holiday :)

Edited by 3below
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Maude said:

Wait, what? We're not? 

Ummmm........... :$ [slides slowly out the room] 

There's nothing wrong with purloining the occasional sartorial cue from those musicians who have played a formative role in our personal development just as long as we don't overdo it. For myself, I specifically wear the same brand of socks as did the late Mr John Entwistle during the period 1973 -1998 (M&S towelling socks / Black) but I don't make a song and dance about it; it's a discreet homage between me and my shoes.

But dressing up as Hendrix in a tie-dyed tee-shirt and a bandana would be de trop unless, perhaps, one were performing in a Hendrix tribute act like the gentleman pictured below. Crikey! You'd swear it was Jimi come back from the grave.

573ea794a7dc0_300_sq

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, 3below said:

I'm going to buy 5. Phil was a great bass player and this will be a fitting tribute.  In other news this week I finally retired after trying 5 years ago,  I was also served my divorce papers today, one day before going on holiday :)

I hope you're OK about it. 👍

• Like 1

If you want to get a Fender "Lynott" bass - and you can find one (like I did) then my very strong recommendation (to which you will be amazed at the quality) will be a Japanese made, non-export model PB70-US BLK which had the option of coming with a mirror scratch plate.

An insanely nice piece of Japanese craftwork from a period when they were knocking out top quality for about £500 delivered to the UK. 

Ummm.. something else I stupidly sold.. will.never.learn.

SSC_0008.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1