Why become a member? ×

Bass ramps?????

Jimothey

3 hours ago, Davo-London said:

I know some famous players use them but as said if you have a good technique they are not necessary - also they prevent you from digging in and this would annoy me tremendously.  There are times I really want to pluck!

Davo

Players like Matt Garrison, Gary Willis and Janek Gwizdala use them. They all have tremendous technical ability. It’s mainly for players who play quite fast and intricate lines. It helps to avoid inadvertently dig in too hard. It doesn’t necessarily prevent you from doing so if you want to. 

I would like to try one, but I really don’t need one. Much like I really didn’t need a fret wrap but I enjoyed the process of buying one to try it out to check that it wasn’t just a gimmick (I was impressed, but I don’t need it and I generally don’t use it).

The theory behind a ramp intrigues me, particularly the ability to potentially ‘unlock’ a number of potential playing positions inbetween the two pickups on a Jazz bass.

The only reason I have not tried a ramp is that I am too lazy to make one myself or instruct someone to make one on my behalf. 

I picked up this idea from Billy Sheehan.  He has his pickup covers on the split P pickup set quite close to the strings and uses it as a ramp. Yes, it prevents you from overshooting the strings too much so you can play quicker, more consistently and less fatiguing.  But, because it's a much smaller area than a proper ramp you can play around the pickup if you do want to dig in more or use a plectrum.

There's an Attitude Bass owners group on FB. Some of the guys there have done what Billy does and apply a layer of epoxy to the surface of the pickup covers to get them closer to the strings without getting the pickup coils themselves closer.

I'm not that brave to I got some 3 ply pearloid scratchplate material cut down and stuck it to the top of the pickup covers with strong double-sided tape.  Looks great and plays even better.

15037350_10154741771939837_7921466079663627751_n.jpg

15094508_10154741771619837_6646660810490771507_n.jpg

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

I just can’t get past the aesthetic... 😕 

... shallow I know but they look so awful any enjoyment I might get from improvement in technique would be wiped out the second I looked at the thing 😕

Yeah I know what you mean, they do look a little cumbersome. 

How about a clear one though? 

transrampjazz1.jpg

• Like 1

On 07/18/2019 at 20:51, visog said:

Don't you guys do a search before posting?

We've done this before. They're great but not a panacea for technique....

Grumpy! :on_the_quiet:

And just for the record - Rotosound Nexus ones / 4 string / passive / P or J / no fanned frets / fingers / milk no sugar (I'm sweet enough) / Marlboro Gold / Speyside / ketchup / chips pudding & gravy. There, that should just about cover everything 👍

What was this thread about again? :D

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

Grumpy! :on_the_quiet:

15 hours ago, visog said:

I deserved that!

I have eaten humble pie on this matter. I'm seeking advice about flying into incandescent rage every time I see a repeated or misfiled Basschat post.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

I just can’t get past the aesthetic... 😕 

... shallow I know but they look so awful any enjoyment I might get from improvement in technique would be wiped out the second I looked at the thing 😕

IMG_8721.thumb.JPG.f257a2cd9464b3c9cd7350f9d8abdd50.JPG

I went for the stealth look on mine. I planned with (Jon) Shuker to create a fully adjustable ramp - mine can drop right down in to the body and it practically disappears. Jon now uses this design for most of his orders that ask for a ramp now unless they ask for something a bit more specific - @MacDaddy I’m looking at you mate :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I know this threads been dead for a few months now but just a little update

For the last couple of months I’ve been using the ramp on my wick copy and I really like playing with a ramp on its definitely helped me with the speed of my playing and made my touch a lot better, to start of with I kept missing/hitting the wrong strings etc but once I got used to it it has become a permanent fixture...........👍

• Like 2

On 19/07/2019 at 17:06, Greg Edwards69 said:

I pickups up this idea from Billy Sheehan.  He has his pickup covers on the split P pickup set quite close to the strings and uses it as a ramp. Yes, it prevents you from overshooting the strings too much so you can play quicker, more consistently and less fatiguing.  But, because it's a much smaller area than a proper ramp you can play around the pickup if you do want to dig in more or use a plectrum.

There's an Attitude Bass owners group on FB. Some of the guys there have done what Billy does an apply a layer of epoxy to the surface of the pickup covers to get them closer to the strings without getting the pickup coils themselves closer.

I'm not that brave to I got some 3 ply pearloid scratchplate material cut down and stuck it to the top of the pickup covers with strong double-sided tape.  Looks great and plays even better.

15037350_10154741771939837_7921466079663627751_n.jpg

15094508_10154741771619837_6646660810490771507_n.jpg

That looks great, especially as this way you can add a little more width if needed as well as hiding the pickups to some extent!

I'm currently making a clear Plexiglass ramp for my 4005. The pickups being so far apart, one butted up to the bridge and the other touching the neck means I can't use them as an anchor point for my preferred plucking position. Also the design of Rickenbacker toaster pickups is that they are mounted on top of the surface rather than in a routed cavity so the strings clear the front of the bass by a good inch. So I'm making a clear ramp that fits from one pickup to the other and nestles against the scratchplate so it'll hopefully nearly disappear. It'll be more thumb anchor than ramp but it'll stop the weird times when I've managed to catch a finger under the string in battle as well.