Why become a member? ×

Bass ramps?????

Jimothey

I don’t know if this should be in the repair/technical section please move if it’s in the wrong place but I keep seeing bass ramps advertised and I’ve never played a bass with one but I’ve read it helps develop your playing technique???

7F15037D-D733-4FFC-9888-C7BE0DE81093.thumb.jpeg.c903ebde51ea85b94851e66b25908e7b.jpeg

so my question is do they work and help the way you play or are they just a gimmick???

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

. . . . . .  I keep seeing bass ramps advertised and I’ve never played a bass with one but I’ve read it helps develop your playing technique???

It doesn't develop anything, but is supposed to prevent players from plucking too far under the strings.

So if you already have a good technique a ramp will be of no use at all.

9 minutes ago, chris_b said:

It doesn't develop anything, but is supposed to prevent players from plucking too far under the strings.

^^^This. However, they do provide a nice, big thumbrest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, visog said:

Don't you guys do a search before posting?

We've done this before. They're great but not a panacea for technique....

I could say the same mate don’t you read previous post Reggaebass posted the same link 3 hours ago.............😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

My first 5 string bass had a ramp. It was an Ibanez BTB33 and I really liked having the ramp. A few disclaimers though - if you play with a pick or like to dig in a lot, you may find the ramp to be in the way. Also, as has been said, it’s not a magical fix for poor technique. Nor is it a necessary component for developing good technique.

To be honest, it’s just a matter of personal preference. You may find that not being able to dig in too far helps your ability to play faster or play more consistently. You may find it limits your dynamic expressivity. The only way to know if it’ll be useful to you is to try it out yourself.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

My first 5 string bass had a ramp. It was an Ibanez BTB33 and I really liked having the ramp. A few disclaimers though - if you play with a pick or like to dig in a lot, you may find the ramp to be in the way. Also, as has been said, it’s not a magical fix for poor technique. Nor is it a necessary component for developing good technique.

To be honest, it’s just a matter of personal preference. You may find that not being able to dig in too far helps your ability to play faster or play more consistently. You may find it limits your dynamic expressivity. The only way to know if it’ll be useful to you is to try it out yourself.

Thanks for your advice, I was going to ask about if you use a pick does the ramp get in the way because some songs I do use a pick?

i understand that it’s not a magic fix but I’m new (again?) to playing after not picking up a bass for near on 20 years so I thought it’s worth a try and just to see if I get on with it??............😀

i don’t know if anyone will be interested but I’m going to do a little build thread on how I made the ramp 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks for your advice, I was going to ask about if you use a pick does the ramp get in the way because some songs I do use a pick?

The ramp gets in the way of everything. That's it's job.

It's intended to force the player who uses a "full blooded" plucking or digging in technique to skate over the top of the strings. I'd use a ramp if you play like the former but want to change to the latter. It has no use if you dig in and want to continue playing like that, or you already play over the pickups. They are already doing the job of a ramp for you.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

I experimented with a homemade ramp on my Status S2, I liked it so much it stayed on there till I sold it (bottom pic).
I made it from a piece of balsa wood clad in three different types of veneer, stuck to the bass with carpet tape. I think I did a half decent job of colour matching it! :) 

I had one built in to my Shuker bass (top pic). A much more sophisticated affair, height adjustable to match the pickups.

I haven't got one on my Sire V7, and really miss it. I'm going to have to sort one out. I like the feel of it under my fingers.

ramp.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chris_b said:

True, it's not an exercise tool to help develop but I would add that its also not a gadget designed to make up for poor technique either. I don't have poor technique but I like using a ramp in the same way that I might like using an effect pedal or plectrum.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

The ramp gets in the way of everything. That's it's job.

It's intended to force the player who uses a "full blooded" plucking or digging in technique to skate over the top of the strings. I'd use a ramp if you play like the former but want to change to the latter. It has no use if you dig in and want to continue playing like that, or you already play over the pickups. They are already doing the job of a ramp for you.

With poor technique I would agree with you that the ramp could get in the way, but I have no problem plucking around the ramp when I don't use it and slip straight in to position when I do :) 

Pickups are rubbish ramps unless the pickup shells (at least) are radiused to match the fretboard. I'd say they were a halfway house to the helpful function of a ramp even if loads of people "do it". 

p.s. sorry if it sounds like I am picking holes, I'm genuinely not :) Just wanted to offer a different view on ramps :) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Thumb rests are the only reason i have 2 of my basses fitted with ramps.  I dont dig in, cos i ain't a digger, so dont need a ramp to stop the digging in, ...dig ?

I like the way you work it .... No diggingity, I got to bass it up, bass it up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jimothey said:

i understand that it’s not a magic fix but I’m new (again?) to playing after not picking up a bass for near on 20 years so I thought it’s worth a try and just to see if I get on with it??............😀

i don’t know if anyone will be interested but I’m going to do a little build thread on how I made the ramp 

The best way to try it out before taking the plunge then, is to force yourself to play directly over your existing pickups, using them as a kind of mini ramp. Does the pickup housing get in the way of your pick/fingers in a negative way? Does it feel annoying or restrictive? If so then the ramp may not be for you. This is easier if your bass has humbuckers/soapbars as you’ll have a bit more margin for error in terms of playing position. With Jazz single coils you’ll have to stay more rigidly in the same plucking position for the test to work.

• Like 1