Why become a member? ×

New Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Osiris

11 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Has anybody had a chance to get their hands on one of these yet? What's the verdict? My eldest (8, but a big 8, wears age 14 clothes) is struggling with my selection of full scale basses and he doesn't like the look of the 2 Ibanez short scale offerings... That's my excuse to buy one of these for myself!

I got a white one (even though I said I wouldn`t get another short scale!) a few weeks ago. Plus points: mine is super light, the lightest bass I have owned, the fit and finish is nice, no sharp fret ends which is good at the price point.

Negatives: the stock tuners are crap, they feel like they were made of butter. I hate cheap tuners so changed them for a set of Kluson Vintage ones which are better. But the original tuners might be okay for somebody else, I`m just fussy. The output from the pickups is quite low and I will try and raise the pickups a tad see if that improves things.

Overall a well made bass for the price.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2019 at 02:28, jrixn1 said:

I'd almost made up my mind to pre-order one of these Classic Vibe Mustangs...

but then I saw this! 😍

343966.jpg

Would be perfect if it didn’t have blocks

Si

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2019 at 02:28, jrixn1 said:

I'd almost made up my mind to pre-order one of these Classic Vibe Mustangs...

but then I saw this! 😍

343966.jpg

I bought the green one. Love it but it does lack the bass end the 51 cv has. But it has the p bass growl but because of the lighter wood it lacks low end. For me that’s fine

• 7 months later...

Apologies for resurecting an old thread but did anyone else manage to get hold of one of these in the end? 

I'm trying really hard to stop myself buying the surf green one at the moment as I've always fancied a mustang and these are just beautiful... so if anyone has any more experiences to share I'd be all ears! 

• 5 months later...

Well, about a year after ordering one and cancelling it as it was going to take a long time, I hadn't got round to reordering. In fact I wasn't going to reorder as I got a 5 string Talman short scale bass, so all taken.

Then a surf green one popped up locally for £250, new condition. I thought about offering less, but I didn't. Then a week later it went to 225, so what the hell, so yesterday I went there and picked it up. It really is as new, it had the stickers and the tag on the neck and not a mark on it. I have had older looking new ones (so new my wife made me look in up as she was convinced it was nicked, but he was a guitarist).

Played it a fair bit last night, its a fun thing, plays well. It doesn't have some of the loose ends that I have read about in places, like the bad neck heel. The only real complaint is that the pickup seems a bit microphonic.

I have a feeling something like flats would be good for it, and of course a perloid pickguard!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, about a year after ordering one and cancelling it as it was going to take a long time, I hadn't got round to reordering. In fact I wasn't going to reorder as I got a 5 string Talman short scale bass, so all taken.

Then a surf green one popped up locally for £250, new condition. I thought about offering less, but I didn't. Then a week later it went to 225, so what the hell, so yesterday I went there and picked it up. It really is as new, it had the stickers and the tag on the neck and not a mark on it. I have had older looking new ones (so new my wife made me look in up as she was convinced it was nicked, but he was a guitarist).

Played it a fair bit last night, its a fun thing, plays well. It doesn't have some of the loose ends that I have read about in places, like the bad neck heel. The only real complaint is that the pickup seems a bit microphonic.

I have a feeling something like flats would be good for it, and of course a perloid pickguard!

Slightly off-topic, but how do you find the Talman shortie 5?

Si

19 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Slightly off-topic, but how do you find the Talman shortie 5?

I like it quite a lot.

The strings are a bit looser than I would like, it is head heavy as hell, the neck is quite thick, the knobs and controls are cheap (so cheap  that the tone control wiring actually came off the pot), the J hums a bit with any interference.

But apart from all that, it sounds great, its fun to play I kind of like the look, it is solidly built (wiring aside) and it costs next to nothing!

of all that, I will replace the pots and knobs, and it would be nice if something could be done about the neck dive, but the rest isn't an issue

• Thanks 1

OK, now I was going to try to get some flats, but they are so expensive. Normally I don't mind but every experience I have had with flats has had me running back to rounds. But I thought this probably is something it would work with, so maybe some chromes would work? But the wrong side of £40 or having to shop with Amazon, nether of which I am particularly keen on. Seems if you get long scale they are cheap, but am I right in thinking I need medium?

I suppose i have my last set of 5 string chromes, maybe I can just trim those down.

50 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

OK, now I was going to try to get some flats, but they are so expensive. Normally I don't mind but every experience I have had with flats has had me running back to rounds. But I thought this probably is something it would work with, so maybe some chromes would work? But the wrong side of £40 or having to shop with Amazon, nether of which I am particularly keen on. Seems if you get long scale they are cheap, but am I right in thinking I need medium?

I suppose i have my last set of 5 string chromes, maybe I can just trim those down.

In terms of a 4 string set, the Fender 9050L set that is standard on the JMJ Mustang come in at about £27, I’ve been pretty impressed with these and suspect they’ll last for years.

As the Squier CV is also string through body the long scale strings are spot on.

Edited by martthebass

28 minutes ago, martthebass said:

In terms of a 4 string set, the Fender 9050L set that is standard on the JMJ Mustang come in at about £27, I’ve been pretty impressed with these and suspect they’ll last for years.

Ooh thanks, I will get some of those then

I put flats on it yesterday. Considering I don't play 4 string basses, and I don't like flats, I am enjoying this a surprisingly large amount, its really good (a bit buzzy in my living room) although the pickup is a bit microphonic.

So where can you get a perloid scratchplate for this? I have looked around, can't find anything.

I could just get the material and make something, but it would probably be bad if I did.

I know there are custom places, but it seems that this would be a normal thing?

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I put flats on it yesterday. Considering I don't play 4 string basses, and I don't like flats, I am enjoying this a surprisingly large amount, its really good (a bit buzzy in my living room) although the pickup is a bit microphonic.

So where can you get a perloid scratchplate for this? I have looked around, can't find anything.

I could just get the material and make something, but it would probably be bad if I did.

I know there are custom places, but it seems that this would be a normal thing?

I got a scratch plate for the JMJ from AxesRus 

AEF70206-1E61-46E4-A0E1-490066D2131D.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Thanks - will investigate, although those pickups look a lot bigger than the ones on the classic vibe, or maybe it is an optical illusion

I’m not sure. I think the plate is CIJ size so should fit 

Edited by Low End Bee

3 hours ago, Low End Bee said:

I got a scratch plate for the JMJ imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2from AxesRus imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2

AEF70206-1E61-46E4-A0E1-490066D2131D.jpeg

Wow, that totally changes the look. Might look at one of those for mine too.

Being of a somewhat lazy disposition today, any chance of a product link @Low End Bee?

Edited by ezbass