Why become a member? ×

New Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Osiris

I note that the nut is 42mm and not 38mm which I think is usual for Mustangs. My Squire VM is 38 and takes a little bit of getting used to. 42 would be more comfortable for most folks I think.

Pity about the colour. If only they would do a SUNBURST!

Keen price.

Edited by grandad

Very tempting indeed. I wonder why they made the pickup on the Squier a tiny bit smaller than a regular Mustang pup? To make upgrades less straightforward I guess lol! Or are they in the same sized casing but just spaced slightly differently? Comparison pic below (Fender Vintera on the left and Squier on the right). 

1468775519_MustangVintera(L)vsSquier(R).thumb.jpg.f851bb7a49f19f2e5715cbf58cfe3500.jpg

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ikay said:

Very tempting indeed. I wonder why they made the pickup on the Squier a tiny bit smaller than a regular Mustang pup? To make upgrades less straightforward I guess lol! Or are they in the same sized casing but just spaced slightly differently? Comparison pic below (Fender Vintera on the left and Squier on the right). 

1468775519_MustangVintera(L)vsSquier(R).thumb.jpg.f851bb7a49f19f2e5715cbf58cfe3500.jpg

Hmm, that is curious. Not quite sure if it’s a spacing thing or a size thing - hard to tell for sure. I’d suggest, economically speaking, that it wouldn’t make a great deal of sense to make an entirely new pickup housing just for this range of Squiers. But who knows with Fender!

4 hours ago, ikay said:

I'd suggest they're actually the same size and it's just that (1) the photo on the left is a bit clearer, (2) the pickups are angled a bit so that you can see the side of the casing?  The photo of the squier is less clear and I'd guess the pickups are set flatter.  It could also be that the Squier was photographed further away, which would mean that less of the side of the pickup casing would be visible.

All this conjecture is because I quite fancy giving the Squier a go, but I'd probably want to put a pearloid scratchplate on it!

17 hours ago, grandad said:

I note that the nut is 42mm and not 38mm which I think is usual for Mustangs. My Squire VM is 38 and takes a little bit of getting used to. 42 would be more comfortable for most folks I think.

Keen price.

I've had a quick look around and every place other than kennysmusic has this as a 38.1mm nut.  Similar to my previous post, I hope that's the case because I quite fancy one of these but I'd want it to be a Jazz width nut. 

I've been quite concerned for my sanity recently because I've been unusually GAS free, but it seems that order is being restored!

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 20:10, grandad said:

I hope not, that would make it unplayable for me.

On 18/07/2019 at 20:10, grandad said:

Whereas I don't mind them doing a sunburst as well, its got to be the worst colour so I am glad they have picked others, and to be fair, it is a 60s mustang and mustangs didn't really come in sunburst until the 70s.

They did come in red though, which would have been nice to go with the green and white.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The white would be nice but has a tort guard which I couldn't live with.

WD Music do three-ply plates in BWB and WBW for the Jap RI and likewise for the American vintage, cost £26.95. Also tons of other colours for more money.

• Like 2