Why become a member? ×

Mark King to Markbass

franzbassist

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Who’s Mark King again? Was he the fella in the Beatles, or is it U2?

As a 42 year old, that's defo not your most observant or Level headed remark. 

Some even might encourage you to do some research on Google or YouTube... 😄 

• Haha 2

I am led to believe from a reliable source that the support Mark didn’t receive from TC to sort a rig for him out in Quebec whizzed him off so he decided to switch on the flight home.

MarkBass are definitely one of the “we’ll pay you to use our gear” crowd so it makes business sense I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SH73 said:

I've seen this set up at Camden shop this week, and it does look tasty, but the big question is...

..I have to borrow the quote from the fellow Basschater..

Is it good for metal?

Yup, absolutely. Just add any Darkglass pedal into the mix and, hey pesto, you'll have a delightful metal sauce. 

Is it just me, or has the look of Markbass gear gone a bit crazy of late?
I used to really like the workmanlike appearance of their heads, nothing fancy or overdesigned, just practical and sensible.
These weird big knobs they've moved to are pretty fugly in my opinion, and have you seen the Limited Marcus Miller heads?!
It's got gold knobs!

marcus_limited_250.png__600x600_q85_subs

little_mark_vintage_front_web_may19.png_

Compare both of the above to this >>

lm_iii_2014_ok.jpg__600x600_q85_subsampl

Personally, I much prefer the older stuff looks wise...

Eude

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

Yup that Stu Hamm head is the best of the bunch. 

Kinda the 'creme de la crap' looks-wise. IMO.

Or maybe it's just me? I can't stand the current trend for cabs that look like a 1950's T.V. either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

This is perhaps the best looking of the recent line up.

Has a 7 band EQ + 12Ax7 tube premap + 600W @ 8ohms + Markbass quality => likely to be a great amp too!

Image result for MB STU AMP 1000

I may be on my own, but that kinda shouts home electronics project to me... especially with the "Brush Flair.ttf" font.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I may be on my own, but that kinda shouts home electronics project to me... especially with the "Brush Flair.ttf" font.

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Of late? They've always looked minging*. *IMO, and not intended to be a comment on their performance

1 hour ago, eude said:

Oh dear, one worse than Papyrus, but not quite as bad as Comic Sans...

7 hours ago, barkin said:

Kinda the 'creme de la crap' looks-wise. IMO. Or maybe it's just me? I can't stand the current trend for cabs that look like a 1950's T.V. either.

Come on then gents, show us a frontal pic of what a good looking amp (any current make) should look like! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

All of those look horrific, but especially the Marcus one.

Italics, serif and handwriting fonts, silhouettes, and red & gold. Each one a design crime alone, but combined?!

Mesa, Aguilar, Darkglass and Genzler make the classiest looking heads IMHO.

Edited by dannybuoy

18 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nobody wants firsts dibs on my incoming Marcus Limited then 😂?

Get one of these cabs to go with your Marcus Limited and you can have a colour coordinated rig!  Which btw I supsect is gonna sound pretty much as good as any other rig on the market.

Besides, apart from us fellow bass players who are rarely if ever gonna be in your audience, who notices what the appearance of a bass rig is anyway? So as long as you're happy with it, weather the slings and arrows of others' snide comments and enjoy the sound!

Image result for vanderkley 210 mnt

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Come on then gents, show us a frontal pic of what a good looking amp (any current make) should look like! :) 

Pretty much any Darkglass amplifier. For me, they tick all the boxes with regard to a great looking amp.

26 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Pretty much any Darkglass amplifier. For me, they tick all the boxes with regard to a great looking amp.

Well I'm gonna find it hard to disagree with you, given that the very capable DG M900 is my (and indeed @fretmeister's) main gigging amp!

But do looks really matter?** Markbass is most definitely not to everyone's taste, but their previous bold colours have given them instant brand recognition and their gear has a great reputation and strong following. 

**I mean in particular for an amp. A bass, on the other hand, I totally appreciate that look and feel are 'up there'. 

Edited by Al Krow

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But do looks really matter?** Markbass is most definitely not to everyone's taste, but their previous bold colours have given them instant brand recognition and their gear has a great reputation and strong following. 

I'd say looks do matter. There's something reassuring about a good looking and well made piece of gear. You see it in the car world... cars are on the whole functional... but if they are pig ugly, despite how well they are made and perform, there will be a negative impact on how they sell.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I must admit, I really dont like the whole MarkBass styling of late. It's very gaudy and childlike. I think these 2 are quite simple in design. The Epifani looks functional, no thrills high end hifi and the Fender is simple with a slight retro look about it.

ul901-front-white-bg.jpg

preview.jpg

7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I'd say looks do matter. There's something reassuring about a good looking and well made piece of gear. You see it in the car world... cars are on the whole functional... but if they are pig ugly, despite how well they are made and perform, there will be a negative impact on how they sell.

Oh for sure, and a car is typically the second most expensive thing someone buys after their home (maybe that's not true for us bassists!) so you want to get something that looks, feels and drives well.

But the main job of an amp in my books is there to help you sound great. In some ways it's a bit like the engine in a car, although obviously more visible. If it can look good at the same time then that's a bonus - and frankly there's no good reason for it not to be designed well. But in the scheme of things a 5 band EQ with semi-para mids and 600W at 8 ohms in a portable package that hopefully sounds great on that Marcus Limited, more than offsets the fact that it's not as pretty as some amp heads. I would buy it over less pretty & less capable heads every time, so yup @fretmeister you can give me first dibs on your amp - it would make for an outstanding back up / alternative to our DG M900s! Oh yes, that's exactly why you're buying it in the first place! :) 

The look and feel of a bass, now that's a different matter!

But maybe that's just me speaking - if I have an emotional attachment to any of my gear it's my basses. The rest of my gear is there to help me and my bass sound great; if they look good then that's an added bonus. E.g. I keep my BF SC because it's an excellent cab and weighs just 21 lbs! I wouldn't rate it as the prettiest cab in the market, but that really doesn't matter. There's no other 112 , as far as I know, that can match it in terms of power handling and output at a broadly comparable weight.

Tbf I didn't always hold that view (I was originally quite scathing about how BF cabs looked!) But I've come to relegate the importance of looks, on everything other than my basses, to how well the piece of gear performs.

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Besides, apart from us fellow bass players who are rarely if ever gonna be in your audience, who notices what the appearance of a bass rig is anyway?

Sadly, very much this.

I did a one off gig recently, with a band I only knew of a couple of the people previously, where we got together for a run through the day before. The drummer (who I didn’t know) and I arrived first. When setting up, he asked if my rig was a Phil Jones (it is) and then asked about my basses. This seemed unusual, but pleasing. Then I found out he’s primarily a bass player; I should’ve known.

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I did a one off gig recently, with a band I only knew of a couple of the people previously, where we got together for a run through the day before. The drummer (who I didn’t know) and I arrived first. When setting up, he asked if my rig was a Phil Jones (it is) and then asked about my basses. This seemed unusual, but pleasing. Then I found out he’s primarily a bass player; I should’ve known.

What a great skill-set that 'drummer' has - any bass player who also can also put together decent drum lines gets my respect!

Edited by Al Krow