Why become a member? ×

Guitarist turned bassist. Help choosing a bass

Friskydingo

1 hour ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I've had a Squier VM Jazz 70 for the past 4 years or so and it's the best quality instrument I've ever owned. A real workhorse that would stand up to gigging and travelling, at a really great price (especially used).

I'm in Exeter at the moment and went to two quality music stores, recommend them for choices and got to play through a fender rumble and Mark bass. 

My decision is squire jass, cv or vm, in white, possibly burst. I love the tone and feel and I can always take off some of the lacquer. 

Now it's off to find one. Thanks guys for suggestions and help

Edited by Friskydingo
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 21:16, Geek99 said:

I think you’ll find @Norris uses one of these. Perhaps he will add his £0.02

Absolutely. My Indonesian Squier P-bass Special has been my main gigging bass for the last 3 or 4 years. Upgraded with a set of SD quarter pounders, a Kiogon loom with series/parallel switch and a Hipshot drop tuner. The P-bass Special has a jazz neck, and mine's like a matchstick. The expensive basses stay at home 

Ignore the name on the headstock. Find a bass that feels and sounds right to you 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 20:57, Friskydingo said:

There’s an identical pj on reverb right now that I’m watching for about £270 and I thought of taking the plunge.

my favourite bassists use squire precision (Scott shiflett and Matt Freeman)

If you want to get a similar sound to matt Freeman you may want to consider what album you like the sound of, he's been known to use jazz's and precisions. 

13 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

And so it's begun...

Just purchased Squier Jazz Vintage Modified in white. 

Thanks everyone for your help, amp and pedal suggestions next. But that's it. I swear 

As you’re a new member, you might not be aware of one of our rules...

:useless:

No photos, didn’t happen 😉.

On 18/07/2019 at 13:33, Friskydingo said:

I have played a vm jazz but not cv yet. I also played a sub ray4 which I also liked. Being in Ipswich I have to travel to find a good selection. 

Peach Guitars in Colchester have a pretty good selection these days.