Why become a member? ×

Guitarist turned bassist. Help choosing a bass

Friskydingo

In brief: I've moved over to bass for my rock covers band to accommodate another guitarist. 

I've been playing and gigging for about 17 years but this will be first time gigging on bass! I have a bass (that shall not be named) which I want to replace. I'm liking the sterling stingray or squire jazz. Played both recently. 

After selling/trading my current bass I'll have about £350 to spend, I play with a pick if that matters. Your thoughts and opinions? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I picked up a Sterling SUB last year for about £330 new from PMT cos I fancied trying the MM style. Nice light comfy bass, but PU is very hot, so finding a clean tone was a struggle, just about got it sorted now, I happily play it with a pick with no issues, but I'm more of a fingerstyle guy out of choice.

I recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified 77 Jazz Bass. I’ve had many Jazzes over the years, ranging from budget Squier Affinities to Fender US Deluxes and in between Mex Fenders. The VM77 is the only one I’ve gelled with playability wise. All of the others were fine basses but this one, well it’s one of those basses you just don’t want to put down. Def worth trying out imo. I’m also a pick player btw.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

You might like to try a Yamaha BB235 or an Ibanez SR370, as they are in the same price bracket and both companies make very nice instruments at all their various price points. However, it’s hard to go wrong with a Squier Classic Vibe, as they’re a fine bit of kit that is easily upgraded with superior hardware should you feel the need.

If I lost my basses and had to start again on that sort of budget I think I'd seriously look at the Sire Marcus Miller range, never tried one but folk rave about them on here for bang per buck. There's one here for under £200 which is silly money

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-marcus-miller-v3-4-string-in-black-v34bk?lgw_code=16284-V34BK&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjrvpBRC0ARIsAFrFuV9W7vlETuIIqOrGBAE96pKpCvVQ7FBqxPKy1U_uAsuNpp3fP2j1igQaAv7vEALw_wcB

• Like 1

So between the Stingray and Jazz, I’d recommend testing the Stingray standing and playing with the pick in ‘excited’ mode. Some players find Stingray pickups ‘click’ when they play, the pup has massive pole pieces that can pick up everything. If that’s the case with you, then the Jazz would likely be cleaner in that sense - and you could always add a push/pull pot to wire the pickups in series too if you ever need a fatter sound for a tune or two. 

Buy second hand if you can, because if you end up on the forum for good you’ll be buying and selling more than Gordon Gekko...

Coming from a guitar background a short scale bass might be an easy transition, a Squier vm jaguar short scale might be ideal, it has jazz and precision pickups, and are highly regarded by many bassists. Slap on some steel or nickel roundwound strings of your choice. They sell of under £200 brand new, and you have a bass ready to rock!

A passive Yamaha BB bass will do you well - they come up for £200-350. The current BB434 is excellent. The previous 424s are also excellent.

A Chinese made Squier Classic vibe 70s P bass or Jazz bass are outstanding too.

1 minute ago, doc40hz said:

A passive Yamaha BB bass will do you well - they come up for £200-350. The current BB434 is excellent. The previous 424s are also excellent.

A Chinese made Squier Classic vibe 70s P bass or Jazz bass are outstanding too.

Which bass has a smoother neck? I.e less lacquer and poly? 

1 hour ago, Friskydingo said:

I've seen a few squire jazz classic vibes and vm 2nd hand good price. I personally want olympic white or a burst but beggers can be choosers 

As ray Charles said in the blues brothers “you have good taste, my man”

25 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

I'll take that on board. Is a cv better 'built' than vm jazz? I. E better electronics, pups, fret work? 

Not better built, both are on par. I would suggest you go and play/test both. As what someone else's likes might not be what you like!

As another guitarist turned bassist I just bought a Squier VM PJ.  Tried a few different Precision’s including a few Mexican ones for 4 times the price and the VM was I’m my opinion the best of the bunch, can’t fault it, especially for the price

82dVyIF.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

There’s an identical pj on reverb right now that I’m watching for about £270 and I thought of taking the plunge.

my favourite bassists use squire precision (Scott shiflett and Matt Freeman)

I think you’ll find @Norris uses one of these. Perhaps he will add his £0.02

42 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

There’s an identical pj on reverb right now that I’m watching for about £270 and I thought of taking the plunge.

Sounds like a good idea. However, you should be aware that the members of Basschat are all enablers 😂.