Why become a member? ×

Flatties for Dooseys

Tripehound

I've acquired a Duesenberg Starplayer bass and a lovely thing it is to look at but I'm not there with the sound yet. I'm finding it a bit - nasal?

I suspect flat wound might be better than the rounds that were on when it arrived. 

Any recommendations?

DSC_0267.JPG

Edited by Tripehound

My three favourite sets of flats are

Fender 9050L stainless. Although a long scale set, I've only used these on my mustangs so far. They came as stock onthe JMJ mustang and I liked them so much I got a set for the CIJ mustang. They sound very punchy but they have more upper mids than I'd normally expect from flats.

Thomastic JF-344 Jazz flats - I have these on my Precisions, Jazz and a few others. They start off a but zingy, but they mellow out and last forever. They are very low tension which I like and their flexibility makes them very comfy to play.

LaBella 750T white nylon tapewounds - I have these on a Epi Vintage pro thunderbird and the equivalent short scale set on my Squier SS Jag. These feel like flats but live somewhere between rounds and flats tonewise and there's a greater range of control over the tone using the bass's tone controls. These are even more comfy to play than the TIs

Try La Bella low tension flats. They are a lot thinner than conventional flags that tend to need the nut slots widened before fitting. The low tensions are pretty much similar to rounds and therefore fit as straight replacements. They have a good traditional thump sound which should suit.

I love the look of your  Doosey by the way, wish I could justify the investment.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Spelling error