Why become a member? ×

Legacy Mac driver. I knew it would happen. I am still fed up about it :(

Owen

My 2009 iMac 24 was so slow it was like swimming through treacle with a cow tied around my waist. I knew I needed to re-instal OSX and start again. I had had trouble with the driver for my aged M-Audio Ozonic firewire keyboard before but got around it by telling the Mac that it was cool to load anything from anywhere. Sadly now I cannot get it to load. I am on 10.11.6 and the driver is for 10.7. The most recent driver(10.7) is sitting there and happily going into install action but then says that it cannot install at the end because "there is no software found to install". I know that the answer here is to £££££up and buy a new interface and keyboard controller, but I would really like to not be shelling out the coin if I could help it. Any suggestions/work arounds? Thanks as usual.

Edited by owen

Rolling back to an earlier OS on MAC is a real pita. Basically you’ll need a copy of the installer and then you’ve got to partition the HD, install the old OS, move all of your stuff across and then boot from the new partition (old OS) and delete the partition with the newer OS on it. 

Unless of course you’ve got a Time  Machine backup. 

You*do* have a TM backup, don’t you...?

I didn’t; that’s how I know how to do this! 😉

Thanks all. I do actually have a TM backup. I unmounted the TMHD before I reformatted the Mac HD. Having plugged the TMHD back in it is not actually giving me the option of seeing it as a pick and choose backup. When I went to reload everything originally it just could not see the TM. I have spent quite a bit of time setting it up (backups elsewhere as well) but I guess I will just go back and reformat off TM as it is now picking it up and telling me it goes back to June 1st.

Well done! Glad you found a workaround.

I stopped updating the OS on my home Mac (a 2012 Mac Mini) some time ago, due the driver of my audio interface (an old Allen & Heath mixer) no longer being updated. I think a lot of "pro" studios seem to work on this basis too - i.e. once you have a stable platform, leave it the hell alone! 😉