Why become a member? ×

Gibson Lawsuits. How low will they go ?

kodiakblair

If their past is anything to go by the Dean situation is nothing. Back in 2010 Gibson sued WowWee over kid's cardboard guitars !!

One of their reasons

"Gibson claims that WowWee's Web site also featured a promotional video with a character that was unable to distinguish between a Paper Jamz guitar and a real Gibson-manufactured instrument."

The Guitars series 2#134C6D (2).jpg

This company seem to have a very short memory. 

Does anyone remember when Gibson announced this Jimi Hendrix monstrosity?  Looks familiar? 

I really just don't understand how they even went as far as building prototypes without someone at Gibson going, 'You know what?  I think this is a bad idea, doesn't anyone think it looks a little too much like one of our competitors instruments, so perhaps we shouldn't build any.'

Perhaps the R&D team were just too feeble to say no to the captain of the ship, but mind you, when ol' Henry was at the helm, it was probably very much a case of any goes, eh?

Hendrix-Black_zmevei.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Does anyone remember when Gibson announced this Jimi Hendrix monstrosity?  Looks familiar? 

I really just don't understand how they even went as far as building prototypes without someone at Gibson going, 'You know what?  I think this is a bad idea, doesn't anyone think it looks a little too much like one of our competitors instruments, so perhaps we shouldn't build any.'

Perhaps the R&D team were just too feeble to say no to the captain of the ship, but mind you, when ol' Henry was at the helm, it was probably very much a case of any goes, eh?

Hendrix-Black_zmevei.jpg

It even says 'authentic' on the scratchplate.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Hendrix-Black_zmevei.jpg

I was just about to post that! 

I wonder how this concept was conceived at Gibson HQ... 

"Hey guys, how can we celebrate  Hendrix's famous association with our main competitor brand?" 

😂

Edited by Mastodon2

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

(Snip) Does anyone remember when Gibson announced this Jimi Hendrix monstrosity?  Looks familiar? (Snip)

Hendrix-Black_zmevei.jpg

:) One might agree that Gibson transgressed the boundaries of good taste with that item were it not that Fender's current Hendrix offering is likewise a lefty neck on a righty body. Strangely, this 2019 below is the first Fender Hendrix trib since 2002, a curious 17 year gap which might reward investigation. 

Strat-WEB.jpg

Frankly, I have never understood why Fender no longer simply chop out a left-handed Strat with a modified logo (below). They look much nicer than the lefty-righty Frankensteins (no Eddie ref) but I suppose they're a bit more difficult to play (pots and wang-bar). 

73-201392195441_540x360.jpg

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Especially with this as an option!

JV.jpg.b3433adce90700390af141754b4454df.jpg

I think much of the legal stuff comes from earlier versions of the company- regardless, I have high hopes for the new setup. Early PR bumps notwithstanding, the new ranges look pretty strong to me (admittedly, a Gibson fan).

Looks like Gibson missed an open goal here.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Looks like Gibson missed an open goal here.

Flying Vee

The Gibson Custom shop knocked out lovingly handcrafted a limited run of 300 Hendrix V's in 2007 for sale at a mere $12k apiece (rolls eyes). But you're right. Anyone would think they'd have something out there for a couple of grand.

That Gib-Strat

Returning to the Gibson Hendrix Str*t, let us never forget that the guitar was only part of a complete entry-level guitar package that also included " a Hendrix signature Voodoo Child amplifier, and a Foxey Fuzz pedal ... an instructional DVD and a USB drive containing exclusive Hendrix media content and a “Hendrix inspired tie-dyed tee-shirt and bandana.” '

Who among us aspiring to Mr Hendrix's spirituality and technical prowess might not eagerly don the included apparel and headwear. After all, tone isn't in your fingers; it's all in the bandana.

gibson-guitars-jimi-hendrix-package.jpg

Above: Not remotely exploitative marketing exercise by Juskiewiecz-era Gibson

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Flying Vee

The Gibson Custom shop knocked out lovingly handcrafted a limited run of 300 Hendrix V's in 2007 for sale at a mere $12k apiece (rolls eyes). But you're right. Anyone would think they'd have something out there for a couple of grand.

This makes me despair. Not even slightly surprised it cost $12k...

23 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

That Gib-Strat

Returning to the Gibson Hendrix Str*t, let us never forget that the guitar was only part of a complete entry-level guitar package that also included " a Hendrix signature Voodoo Child amplifier, and a Foxey Fuzz pedal ... an instructional DVD and a USB drive containing exclusive Hendrix media content and a “Hendrix inspired tie-dyed tee-shirt and bandana.” '

Who among us aspiring to Mr Hendrix's spirituality and technical prowess might not eagerly don the included apparel and headwear. After all, tone isn't in your fingers; it's all in the bandana.

gibson-guitars-jimi-hendrix-package.jpg

And this makes me want to vom. But at the very least it was an entry-level package aimed at inspiring young beginners. It was probably decent value for money as well - probably approached the build quality of the Custom Shop Hendrix V...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

That Gib-Strat

Similarly, I look forward to seeing Fender's offering for the Mark Knopfler Strat starter pack...

Edited by EliasMooseblaster
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stofferson said:

See the post on FB yesterday? Announcing "boutique" collaborations . .

Link >> Gibson Facebook Post

Absent any further details this looks quite interesting. In short, it reads like Gibson are (i) granting certain independent boutique luthiers and peripherals makers a license to use Gibson-trademarked shapes and (ii) promoting those individuals / companies through Gibson's marketing channels.

It's not clear how the new licensees are expected to reciprocate. Must they pay a license fee? Promote the fact they're now licensed? Say nice things about Gibson?

On the face of it, this development is in line with Gibson's stated preference for collaboration rather than confrontation but begs the question as to why they released the - er - confrontational 'Play Authentic' video. Perhaps this was what they meant all along but Agnesi either got the tone wrong or was poorly briefed. Either way, it seems to be a step in the right direction but only time will tell.

42 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Absent any further details this looks quite interesting. In short, it reads like Gibson are (i) granting certain independent boutique luthiers and peripherals makers a license to use Gibson-trademarked shapes and (ii) promoting those individuals / companies through Gibson's marketing channels.

It's not clear how the new licensees are expected to reciprocate. Must they pay a license fee? Promote the fact they're now licensed? Say nice things about Gibson?

On the face of it, this development is in line with Gibson's stated preference for collaboration rather than confrontation but begs the question as to why they released the - er - confrontational 'Play Authentic' video. Perhaps this was what they meant all along but Agnesi either got the tone wrong or was poorly briefed. Either way, it seems to be a step in the right direction but only time will tell.

My thoughts exactly. If Gibson had led with this rather than that absurd video, they would have avoided the entire guitar community cringing whilst actually earning a bit of respect.

Let’s not forget, though, that they’re still carrying out legal action behind the scenes aren’t they? So it’s not all sunshine and roses, positive as this latest development seems.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 19:45, CameronJ said:

This makes me despair. Not even slightly surprised it cost $12k...

And this makes me want to vom. But at the very least it was an entry-level package aimed at inspiring young beginners. It was probably decent value for money as well - probably approached the build quality of the Custom Shop Hendrix V...

I was in a guitar shop with my OH last week who looked at a Custom Shop guitar and said, "so people are paying £8,000 for guitars that are made to look like they're broken?" and I had no justification for any of us - I opened my mouth to try and just nodded 😂

• Haha 2