Why become a member? ×

Is it just me who does adequate research?

warwickhunt

On a similar rant, why doesn't anyone RTFM any more either? My social media feed has been bombarded this week with posts by people who blatantly didn't bother to read the very clear instructions that came with a software update and are now ranting that their hardware won't work properly. This has then propagated to other folk not bothering to read and research following up with comments suggesting said hardware is crap because it doesn't work properly. Oh my, the halcyon days of common sense...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dood said:

On a similar rant, why doesn't anyone RTFM any more either? My social media feed has been bombarded this week with posts by people who blatantly didn't bother to read the very clear instructions that came with a software update and are now ranting that their hardware won't work properly. This has then propagated to other folk not bothering to read and research following up with comments suggesting said hardware is crap because it doesn't work properly. Oh my, the halcyon days of common sense...

Off topic, but we've had a similar issue at work with a policy around "agile working".  Since them half the team have been taking advantage of the bits of the policy which suit them (like, say, you can leave at 4.30), and completely ignoring the parts which don't (like, say, if you leave at 4.30 you need to make up your hours elsewhere in the week).  

Whenever they get picked up on it, the same two defences are rolled out:

"the policy isn't clear"

(points to sentence in the policy that says hours need to be made up)

"well nobody ever said anything about that before"

So expecting anybody to read stuff is way too optimistic, and for any changes at work we now have to have a meeting to explain everything, and the policy is a reference document in the background that can be referred to (but rarely is)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Is it a reflection on society in general where people will post on Facebook asking when the next bus is from A to B or what day does the bin man come around?  It would seem to be the norm to ask someone else to do your research rather than do your own work!

Just seen one of these. New product launched last week and promoted on FaceBook by manufacturer. First question asked - "how much is it in UK I'd really like to know". Time delay for message to filter through to manufacturer and response of £769 takes 30 minutes.

Simple Google search reveals it's already discounted to £749 and that 7-8 retailers are taking orders at £769. Time taken to discover this was less that it took the guy to type out his initial question.

I'm now watching to see if he asks where it's available. . .

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

I've just made an eBay purchase and didn't ask a single question as I knew all about the item (research) and the condition was described... I compare my approach to the kind of people who frankly ask questions that have me scratching my head.  

Even if I know everything about the item, I usually try come up with a relevant question to ask someone before I buy something of value, just because I am more interested in the response, rather than the answer to the question. If they can't be bothered to answer before I give them money, what chance do I have dealing with them once they have my money?

8 hours ago, Dood said:

Wouldn't it be cool if you could work out a way to monetize your expertise? 

I get paid by my clients who clearly value my advice (otherwise they wouldn't pay me for it!) and which is how I've put a roof over my family's head and food on the table for the past 5 years when I've been running my own consultancy. Btw I don't treat any of their questions as being 'too stupid'! 

So why shouldn't folk value your expertise? 

£1 a question for straightforward queries? More for complex guidance. Seems fair. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Wouldn't it be cool if you could work out a way to monetize your expertise? 

I get paid by my clients who clearly value my advice (otherwise they wouldn't pay me for it!) and which is how I've put a roof over my family's head and food on the table for the past 5 years when I've been running my own consultancy. Btw I don't treat any of their questions as being 'too stupid'! 

So why shouldn't folk value your expertise? 

£1 a question for straightforward queries? More for complex guidance. Seems fair. 

It's interesting you make this suggestion. Short version: I've been spending the day figuring out how to turn my teaching space in to a vlogging/video set up. It's been pretty successful so far, so maybe that is something I need to add to my offerings!

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Even if I know everything about the item, I usually try come up with a relevant question to ask someone before I buy something of value, just because I am more interested in the response, rather than the answer to the question. If they can't be bothered to answer before I give them money, what chance do I have dealing with them once they have my money?

I've learned in the last couple of years that ebay is now firmly in the 'If it isn't as described, you'll get a full refund' camp!  There is the hassle of having to return something but the chances of coming unstuck via ebay/paypal (as a buyer) are slim.  I take your point about sizing up the seller and I'd imagine quite useful in many cases.  

1 hour ago, Dood said:

It's interesting you make this suggestion. Short version: I've been spending the day figuring out how to turn my teaching space in to a vlogging/video set up. It's been pretty successful so far, so maybe that is something I need to add to my offerings!

Go for it buddy! And if there's anything that your fellow BC'ers can do to support, please don't hesitate to be in touch! 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Go for it buddy! And if there's anything that your fellow BC'ers can do to support, please don't hesitate to be in touch! 

I feel silly for not reaching out to BC in the first place! I'll start a new thread when I have my set up functioning properly as there's lots of things I wouldn't mind trying out. I'll invite ideas and maybe have a chat with @ped about material we can do for the BC community.