Why become a member? ×

TC RH450 cutting out intermittently

Tradfusion

Fairly old amp at this stage, it has been very reliable but recently has started cutting out during gigs, not shutting down completely, just losing power at higher volumes and when digging in a bit during a tune.. suddenly the volume will drop or disappear completely for a few seconds then cut back in again.. this is happening all the time now so I've had to stop using the head for live gigs.. it appears to be fine at lower volumes so I can still use it at home etc... Just wondering what might be causing this issue? Not that I can repair it myself, I'm useless that way, but I would like to steer whoever I get to repair it in the right direction.. could it be a power supply issue maybe?

Thanks for the replies lads.. I will need to check that the fan is still working.. I haven't noticed anything like a P or H on the display while this was happening to be honest... I will test it again and keep a closer eye on the display

Absolutely, no fan = no cooling, at higher volumes the amp will be working harder and creating more heat.  At some point the thermal protection will  cut in to prevent your amp from cooking itself.

Edited by nightsun

1 minute ago, nightsun said:

Absolutely, no fan = no cooling, at higher volumes the amp will be working harder and creating more heat.  At some point the thermal protection will  cut in to prevent your amp from cooking itself.

Hopefully its repairable... I love the amp.. not many repair guys around here unfortunately so I'll probably end up having to send it somewhere

2 minutes ago, nightsun said:

Not to fosters on your cornflakes but I had a RH450 which just died one night at a gig.  The only way to get it fixed was to send it away to the approved repairer at cost so didn't bother..  I ended up getting a BH8000.

yeah I dont want to spend too much on it... its almost 10 years old and has been heavily gigged... in fairness it owes me nothing but I'm still very fond of it

1 minute ago, nightsun said:

They are damn good amps...until they go pop 😞  I'd give the Ashdown RM500 a look now if I was replacing, I've heard good things.

I have a Quilter BB800 which I also love so I'm not stuck.. sometimes though I just love the tone from the RH450, especially with my old 70s jazz bass.. they just seem to be a perfect match.. lots of nice stuff out there these days and most of it is pretty good, even the cheaper end of the market

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tradfusion said:

I have a Quilter BB800 which I also love so I'm not stuck.. sometimes though I just love the tone from the RH450, especially with my old 70s jazz bass.. they just seem to be a perfect match.. lots of nice stuff out there these days and most of it is pretty good, even the cheaper end of the market

Can you use the TC preamp and the Quilter as a power amp?