Why become a member? ×

Ready to gig... I think

SH73

With slight changes in my life I think I'm ready to gig. I've looked up some JMB adverts that are straight to the point.

When I started up playing as a teen we always had issues with a drummer, it got the point that when I left ( choose another career not that I ever got paid) guitarist gigged with drum machine.

Anyhoo, back to the point. Any advice from fellow BCs ? 

My current gear is only a 100 w practice amp and a few basses 😚 a pedal or two, so when the time arrives I'm happy to get some thing with plenty of umpf.

2 hours ago, SH73 said:

Anyhoo, back to the point. Any advice from fellow BCs ? .

Good luck!

It took me a while (and lost of auditions) to realise that if something isn’t making you happy, don’t do it.

What I mean by that is you’ll probably go through some band iterations or different groups where it’s just not working - and you’ll probably know that fairly early on.

My advice is rather than slog at it unhappily for months only for it all to fall away, cut your losses early and move on - eventually you’ll find something that works for you and you’ll be all the happier for it!

Unless you’re looking to make a living from playing music, the main reason we play is for enjoyment - if it’s not fun, move on!

• Like 3

good advice from @Jakester - decide what you want to do and go looking for that, and don't waste months of your life doing anything you're not enjoying that won't get you there.  So if you want to play originals, don't apply for covers bands (although they will probably get more gigs), etc.  That said, you may need to compromise - you may not find exactly what you want to be doing, but as long as what you find is within the Venn diagram of stuff you like then that's OK.

If you're really at a point where you want to be on stage, aim for the bands that are already gigging and need a replacement bass player - you are the solution that they are looking for.  Nothing against bands who are new, need a bass player and aim to be up and gigging ASAP...just be prepared to join some that never quite manage get on to the stage, and you may need to cut your losses and move on.

Difficult to assess those in the second category and there isn't one way to make sure that you've picked a winner, but my suggestion would be to look for a band with a strong Band Leader who has a realistic plan and the necessary contacts to put the plan into action.  While it's nice to be looking for global domination within six months, try and avoid bellends who tell you how the World is just waiting for them to unleash their musical genius and that you'll be selling out the O2 before Christmas. 

And anybody who refers to the band as a "project"

As regards the quality of your amp, depending on the band you join this may or may not be an issue.  100W may well be enough for rehearsals and some gigs (and other band members rarely have any idea about bass amps and concepts like head room), but a lot of rehearsal studios will have amps thrown in, and a lot of venues will expect to DI you through the PA so you won't need any amp and you may actually be far better off getting an amp sim pedal than investing in a mountain of backline.  Not so common on the pub covers circuit. 

You won't know until you start discussing things with bands, so have a chat with them to see what they are expecting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Contacted a band that is looking for a bass player on JMB. It turns out that there's no band, the guy is on his own😂

Sounds about right. Wait until you have to supply all back line, pay for the rehearsal room and drive the band to gigs - then you’ll be getting the full experience! 😂

(apologies if I come across as bitter - I’ve been in bands for 25+ years and have spent a fair proportion of that with time wasters. For a positive spin, I found one of my current bands on JMB, albeit I knew one guy in a different context, and they’re all committed and it’s going well, so it does happen!)

I won't lie, in my experience, a certain amount of adverts on JMB seem to be from cranks.  I'm sure this isn't always the case, but I've noticed that a good way to spot these is to watch for the ones who put the same adverts up every few weeks for months on end.  These seem to be the flakes who are dead keen up until it comes to the point of getting together for a jam at which point they stop responding or who are too difficult to work with that no one wants to stick around.

It might take time to find the right band, but go to as many jams and auditions as you can so that when the right one does come along, you already have some recent experience of going to jams/auditions so you won't be going in cold.  Also it doesn't hurt to play music that's slightly out of your comfort zone as it's a good way to expand your horizons and appreciate new stuff.  As long as you enjoy it that's all that counts.

I think you have to expect that, whether they mean to or not, you will feel like some people will have wasted your time.  Don't take it personally and I guess just be honest with upfront about what you are looking for and what you can and can't do depending on other commitments you may have and don't leave them hanging.  If you're not into what they're doing just tell them.

I fully endorse what @Monkey Steve says about having a band with a band leader who is switched on and has contacts.  It makes a world of difference if you're looking to gig.  Ending up having to fire emails off to venues and promoters who probably won't get back to you is a headache, especially if it's someone else's band.  So if you have someone on board who can ring up his mate and sort a gig then that saves a lot of time and energy.  Plus removes a lot of doubt about whether you're wasting your time or not.

As for gigging, if you're expecting to play pubs and small venues you'd probably need around a 300W amp.  See what type of band you end up in and what set up they have though before taking the plunge.  You may just need a head or amp sim with a DI out to the PA system or you might want a combo amp.

Best of luck and enjoy it!  It's a great experience and when it all comes together it's lots of fun.

just jammin with another musician is better than playing on your own, even if they aren't wanting to form a band.

Play with others and things will fall into place, hopefully.

go to open mics, it's a great way to meet other musos,and most won't have a bassist so you could sit in, or at worst, talk to them afterwards with a view to jamming or joining up with them

Edited by bazzbass
  • Like 1

Don't listen to all this sensible jibber-jabber!

I take it we're talking rock'n'roll of some sort here?

In that case all you need is to look like you're The Band - get some great trousers and shoes, work on The Stare, practice walkin' the walk and standin' the stance. Soon old ladies and young mums will be crossing the road to avoid you, young children will stare in awe and youths will finally understand what a role model is. Then you'll be ready!

And get a big amp with at least 500W and the biggest speakers (not just 1!!!) you can find (*) cos rock'n'roll ain't noise pollution... (**)

*make it class D and neo speakers - you've got to take care of your back

** don't forget those ear defenders - you don't want white noise to drown them all chanting your name!

• Haha 1

I think I joined a “band” that was just one guy about 12 years or so ago. Still in a band with him. We’ve gone through some drummers and guitarists but been the same lineup for about 8 years. So don’t write them all off!! 

Edited by bigjohn