Why become a member? ×

Ali Express Woes

mefgames

I ordered a fakenbacker 4005 bass back on 11 June. Item arrived today and is broken at the neck joint. the overall quality for what I paid, is not bad, but the neck joint construction is a joke. Maybe 1 and 1 1/4 inches of the neck is glued into the pocket. Ridiculous !!! I knew when I ordered it I was taking a risk, but I was hoping for the best. I am trying to open a dispute, but I cannot get confirmation that it is opened. I cannot seem to get past EVA, that infernal BOT. I have contacted the seller, but because of the time difference , I probably won't hear til tomorrow. Any ideas on how to get a live person on Ali Express. 

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7564.jpg

• Thanks 1

Time difference here too. Currently 2am in the UK.

Have you clicked  "order received" ? Seller doesn't get paid until you do. Open a dispute and follow procedure.

Hopefully you paid by credit card or through paypal,both give you better protection for refunds.

• Like 1

No return necessary. I am going to try to repair it with a deeper pocket into the body to act as a mortise, then removing about 1/2" to 5/8" of the lower part of the heel and gluing a piece of maple to it to act as a tenon into the deeper pocket. Not sure if it will work, but that's the track I'm on right now. 

6 hours ago, mefgames said:

No return necessary. I am going to try to repair it with a deeper pocket into the body to act as a mortise, then removing about 1/2" to 5/8" of the lower part of the heel and gluing a piece of maple to it to act as a tenon into the deeper pocket. Not sure if it will work, but that's the track I'm on right now. 

If the worst came to the worst you could get one of those Allparts uncut headstock necks and have it cut to the right shape and re rout the body to suit or even have the neck modified at the heel to make it a set neck

Update !!! Spent the last few days since receiving the bass working out a viable solution to fix the neck/body joint break. Pretty much had to remake the neck heel by cutting the broken part and adding a tenon, then mortising the body to mate the two. Glued and clamped it up and let cure for 2 days. This is the result. Still need to finish the repaired area and tweak the action and intonation. Electronics work fine. Tuned it to pitch and all seems well. And that "R" has got to go. possible harp tailpiece replacement and a correct bass bridge from Winfield.

IMG_7581.jpg

• Like 6

Still in the process of tweaking string height, but for now it plays well. One of the pickups has noticeably lower output  than the other, but I will be changing those and the electronics soon. I'm thinking about putting a set of D'addario Chromes on it as well. 

Edited by mefgames
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, mefgames said:

Impossible to find a hardshell case for this one, so I built this. Just need to finish the 2 compartments.

IMG_7668.thumb.jpg.4e955ab1934674f51e6c723734e5377c.jpgIMG_7673.thumb.jpg.565077b78cc5892db60c99e20aeeba48.jpgIMG_7676.thumb.jpg.c4f7bfb37b6ae224555c908090af4aad.jpgIMG_7671.thumb.jpg.4ef28124382e19eac15320f88994902f.jpg

IMG_7666 2.jpg

I’m always impressed when people build things like that. God knows what it would have looked like if I’d done it 😁.

22 hours ago, mefgames said:

Impossible to find a hardshell case for this one, so I built this. Just need to finish the 2 compartments.

IMG_7666 2.jpg

So ... here’s one I knocked up in ten minutes using Lego painted black and a few cotton wall balls. 

Sarcasm aside ... fabulous