Why become a member? ×

Mooer or TC Electronics octaver

isteen

I've not tried the TC but I would probably go for that due to the sheer number of options it has, you may be more likely to find the sound you seek. If you delve into the editor you can EQ the affected signal to remove some of the shrill upper frequency content from the octave up for example, which the Mooer can't.

Also there are 2 versions of the Tender Octaver. The first one (which I have) got pulled from the shelves because it was a direct clone of the EHX MicroPOG. The MkII is their reworked version, which I''m not sure is as good, you'd have to search for some comparisons!

• Like 1

On 16/07/2019 at 17:32, isteen said:

The price are almost identical, so what say ye: Mooer Tender Octaver or the TC Electronics SUB ‘n’ Up?

Main focus is the to - a nice warm bass tone is essential

Both of the octavers you’ve mentioned are digital. If you want warm, you want analogue. My personal #1 recommendation is the Aguilar Octamizer (There are a couple for sale here at the moment) but failing that, try and find yourself a Digitech Bass Synth Wah (digital I know) and use the solo octave setting. It’s one of the warmest sounding digital Octave sounds I’ve ever encountered, whilst also being one of the cheapest. 

There's a huge Octaver thread on here somewhere... I've owned a Sub 'N' Up but I found the latency to be a deal breaker. It does track well though and there are a lot of fine tuning options. I couldn't get it sound like an OC2 though. I have a Boss PS6, which has it's own limitations but superior latency IME. If you want that fat analog sound, there really isn't a digital option that I've heard that does it convincingly.  I don't think the Nether sounded anything like an OC2 either. I had an Emma Okto Nojs which was in the right ballpark, but in the end a s/h Boss OC2 was the answer for me. There is a volume drop, but that's a common problem - unity gain will be perceived as quiet thanks to how the human brain processes low frequencies. Valeton do an OC10 that few people rate highly for cheap. It really depends on whether you want/need polyphonic tracking and whether you are after a detuned bass sound or a sythy sine-wavy type of thing. 

Sub'n'Up is a fantastic POG killer but will really struggle with an OC2 sound sadly. Does sound absolutely huge with the right tweaks and can also do various modulation options if you dig into the software but the latency killed it for me a bit. I swapped out for a Brainwaves which has slightly fewer options for straight octave but at least properly lays into the weird stuff.

In terms of analog octaves my two recommendations would be the Aguilar Octamizer (massive, phat, and incredibly stable tracking)  and the Red Witch Zeus (glitchy in a good way, lots of fuzz options, probably overkill if you just want an OC2).