Why become a member? ×

Florida,USA - vintage obsessed

shadven

Apparently I had an account here, but I had zero recollection of ever logging in:) hello, and I’d like to make my introduction.

I have a band in Florida (Cottondale Swamp), I play bass, write most of the songs, book all the gigs, and do everything. We gig almost every weekend, outlaw country, classic country, southern rock, Americana. A mix of “cover-band” bar gigs, and original gigs (festivals, openers for national touring bands).

I collect and play tube amps and old basses. I have a bunch of 1950’s Fender P-Basses and 1968-69 Telecaster basses, and other basses. Too many basses and amps to list. But, my latest passion is my newly acquired 1971 Marshall Major (Model 1978) I’ve paired with a Marshall VBC412. Oh my f**king gawd! What a beast! Crazy loud and a really great deep bass tone, excellent mids (to cut through in a band) a decent highs. The Major seems to be a ridiculously powerful head. I am sure it would over power my Ampeg SVT VR w/810. I’m a sick puppy, but now I am on a hunt for a 2nd VBC412.

Why didn’t I know Marshall made such great bass amps? The Major is top notch. 

Of course a Marshall stack is too much amp for 90% of my gigs, but when I can justify bring omg out the big guns, damn, I am going to play the Major. 

Next week, I am supplying bass backline for a Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary Show. 15 bands (I am playing in two of them). The show is sold-out, outdoor stage, 2000 people, full production / stage crew etc. I offered the promoter: Ampeg SVT w/ 810, Acoustic 360/361, or Marshall Major w/VBC412. We decided that the Ampeg rigid best for reliability for 15 bands. But, I am tempted to bring the Major (head only) as backup and use it for my sets.

I hope to be active on this forum and I want learn about Marshall amps and cabs, and I want to hear stories from people who gigged them and experienced them.

All the best. If anyone travels to Florida for gigs or for pleasure, I’d love to meet up for a pint! Cheers!

502FFF98-8010-4B5E-B712-E8BAFD927176.jpeg

1CBE0A20-2ED9-4174-BCDF-4F43EEFF8541.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...