Why become a member? ×

Here are three Blues standards, based on the 12-bar blues sequence. All have slightly different chord changes though, and illustrate how these changes can make a memorable song.   You can use these techniques, such as substitution chords, in your own bass lines and song writing. 

There is a free downloadable PDF of these bass lines, with tab.  Click the link in the video description on YouTube. 

Enjoy the lesson, and please like and share this if you found it useful.

https://gregsbassshed.com/videos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Some nice lines there Greg, good choice, The thrill is gone and Black magic woman were some of the first lines I learnt...I have modified the thrill is gone to a slightly more funkier line over the years and actually forgotten the original line so it will be good to re-cap and re-learn it lol....keep 'em coming.
Some good Rhythm n Blues lessons would be nice....Cheers Bob.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Some nice lines there Greg, good choice, The thrill is gone and Black magic woman were some of the first lines I learnt...I have modified the thrill is gone to a slightly more funkier line over the years and actually forgotten the original line so it will be good to re-cap and re-learn it lol....keep 'em coming.
Some good Rhythm n Blues lessons would be nice....Cheers Bob.

Thanks Bob, glad you like the lesson. 

Good suggestion to cover some Rhythm n Blues.  Were you meaning British Rhythm n Blues in particular? Any suggestions of artists you would like to see in that lesson?

Cheers Greg 

1 hour ago, greghagger said:

Thanks Bob, glad you like the lesson. 

Good suggestion to cover some Rhythm n Blues.  Were you meaning British Rhythm n Blues in particular? Any suggestions of artists you would like to see in that lesson?

Cheers Greg 

Hi Greg,
More American 60's RnB/Soul think James Jamerson, Tommy Cogbill, Jerry Jemmott, Willie Weeks, Duck Dunn ect, will leave the choice up to you, there's so much out there but to me the above represent that classic Motown, Soul and RnB era.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Hi Greg,
More American 60's RnB/Soul think James Jamerson, Tommy Cogbill, Jerry Jemmott, Willie Weeks, Duck Dunn ect, will leave the choice up to you, there's so much out there but to me the above represent that classic Motown, Soul and RnB era.

I’m with you now. Some great bass players you have listed there. I do have a Motown lesson planned, but a nice idea to showcase some of the bass players that sometimes get overlooked. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greghagger said:

I’m with you now. Some great bass players you have listed there. I do have a Motown lesson planned, but a nice idea to showcase some of the bass players that sometimes get overlooked. 

Hi Greg sounds great looking forward to the Motown lesson.

• Like 1