Why become a member? ×

Fender Player Series verses older MIM models

Exile252

Afternoon everyone

I've recently got back into playing bass (and music in general), and noticed the Fender MIM series has been replaced by the Players series. However the costs have skyrocketed! I have a MIM Jazz V from 2007 (when they had the 5 tuners all on one side of the headstock), and was wondering whats the difference in the player series that has caused them to jump up by around £300.

Thanks guys :)

On 16/07/2019 at 19:24, yorks5stringer said:

I have a new series Player P Bass in Buttercream and well the neck plays like....! Cant vouch for the pickups as the previous owner swapped them for 62 Custom Shop ones and who was I to complain!

Plays like...? I can’t quite tell if it’s a positive expletive or a negative one O.o

I believe quality has increased a bit since, but a good 2007 should be as good as a good one now - more or less. I have a 2008 MIM P, and it’s a cracking bass. The pickup was the only thing I thought was a bit poor, but that was easily sorted. 

• 1 year later...

The hardware is very poor on Player series basses in my experience. I've seen several reports about failing tuners + dropping saddles and that's exactly what happened with mine (Buttercream P-bass). Except for the poor hardware they are very nice. In many ways I like them better than current MIA Fenders. Well, at least the maple neck ones. I'm not a big fan of the pao ferro versions. Not that I don't like pao ferro. I actually think it's a very nice wood for fretboards. But when Fender does pao ferro it often ends up very bland/pale looking and with a rough 'dry cardboard' feel to it.