Why become a member? ×

My(Our?) Moog Bass Journey....

knicknack

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2020 at 22:46, Quatschmacher said:

Was this the one that was on eBay for £500? That was a bargain. 

Sadly not. 
I was watching that one but went a bit crazy on an earlier auction. Very pleased with it though. It’s in amazing condition complete with manual and also has the CVs Out factory mod. 

I considered a Sub 37, Grandmother and B Poly D too. In the end went for a Little Phatty as it has presets and the Sub looked like a steep learning curve for a synth newbie, with loads of controls.

Next step is to learn to play. Deeper Underground, some Dua Lipa, Doja Cat - say so, etc and the reason I bought a synth in the first place - Herbie Hancock :Steppin in It  

Moog Subsequent 37 arrived today, not had a chance to have a play yet, I feel the hours will fly by tomorrow. I have been on a bit of a Synth bass splurge of late as by new Source Audio C4 Synth pedal arrived along with its friend a dual expression pedal also today.

Tomorrow should be Konig and Meyer stand and HXFX. My head is spinning with the amount of stuff I am going to have to learn! Still it will be fun.

On 13/07/2020 at 09:46, knicknack said:

@obi 2 kenobi welcome to the club! When you feel up to it we'd love to hear something :D 

I've been spending some time away from social media/forums etc, but have done a few new ones since i was last here... even got @Bill to double up for PYT! 

You killed this mate.

• 2 months later...

How is everyone doing with their Moogs?

With no rehearsals or gigs, I am just working on the synth. So glad I got a 3 octave keyboard (Little Phatty). Already learned Bruno Mars 24k Magic, Finesse (need 3 octaves for that), Tuxedo (Fux with the Tux & U like it), Jamiroquai (Deeper Underround) and Herbie Hancock (Steppin' in it).

Next is Stevie Wonder - Too High, Weeknd - in your eyes and some Dua Lipa

Trying the match the original sounds is learning process in itself!

@obi 2 kenobi I can't believe I hadn't thought of Tuxedo for some synth bass stuff... Great shout! That Bruno album is a goldmine too, still trying to get the 'that's what i like' patch together.

I just had a setlist through for a live stream gig in 2 weeks, and I think about half of it is Synth bass classics so it's back to the shed for sure, would love to do them justice!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, knicknack said:

@Quatschmacher epic! Could deffo get away with that in a Band context. Have long been trying to cop the Rhodes Bass sound too, which is close to this. Fancy sharing?

This one works better in the higher registers. The modulation options on the Subsequent are fairly limited for in-depth sound design so adjusting for different registers isn’t always possible. Might be able to tweak it for bass. Might have a crack on another synth though. I guess poly would be a better choice.

I might have a go at the Rhodes bass, though that’s a bit more complex.

Yes, happy to share this. Got a reasonable clav one I did too. I’ll get sysex dumps done tomorrow and share. 

20 hours ago, knicknack said:

@Quatschmacher epic! Could deffo get away with that in a Band context. Have long been trying to cop the Rhodes Bass sound too, which is close to this. Fancy sharing?

19 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

This one works better in the higher registers. The modulation options on the Subsequent are fairly limited for in-depth sound design so adjusting for different registers isn’t always possible. Might be able to tweak it for bass. Might have a crack on another synth though. I guess poly would be a better choice.

I might have a go at the Rhodes bass, though that’s a bit more complex.

Yes, happy to share this. Got a reasonable clav one I did too. I’ll get sysex dumps done tomorrow and share. 

@knicknack here you go:

QM Wurlitzer 2.syxQM Clav 1.syx

On 11/12/2020 at 20:07, Quatschmacher said:

@knicknack how did these work out for you?

By the way, I got pretty close to the Rhodes bass sound on my summit the other day. Forgot to save at that point though as I was aiming for something else. Definitely doable though but that has three oscillators per voice (or six if I use the bi-timbrality).

Edited by Quatschmacher

• 1 month later...

How's everyone getting on? I'm trying to get back into making videos just to give myself a decent goal every week, something on bass and something on synth. This one is slower paced, but one of my favourite atmospheric pop songs!

Also had fun dialling in some patches for a pop gig that didn't end up happening, very interesting to hear the isolated sounds from the records. So often entirely different from what you think they will be!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...