Why become a member? ×

My(Our?) Moog Bass Journey....

knicknack

2 hours ago, Phill said:

Ive got to recreate this bass synth soon on a Sub Phatty! I'm close but just can't get the tone of it right 😩 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7vObnFUJc I'm not a huge Beyonce fan, but the baseline is pretty sweet 

Seeing that video again I am reminded that I’m definitely a Beyoncé fan! 😅

My band have done this a few times but I’ve played it on bass, it’s a tough one for the singers with its many key changes! 

Will have a play round and see if I can come up with a sound. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rattle&Drum said:

Seeing that video again I am reminded that I’m definitely a Beyoncé fan! 😅

My band have done this a few times but I’ve played it on bass, it’s a tough one for the singers with its many key changes! 

Will have a play round and see if I can come up with a sound. 

I do admire as a musician 😁 it is! the artist I'm working for is class so no worries there! Thanks for the help 

• 4 months later...

I've neglected this thread since the summer... safe to say the journey is in full flow and the collection has grown! I'm still going to put the idea of a shared dropbox in place, drumming up support from across the pond too!

3 synths is a bit much so the Sub Phatty will be leaving shortly, once I've managed to mimic all my patches. I wanted the extra octave, and the Novation is great for smaller gigs. I prefer the Moogs for sure but the Bass Station does do certain things really nicely too. 

IMG_5281.JPG

• 1 month later...

I must spend some more time on my Subsequent. (I seem to be spending more time with the FI at present.) I might be tempted to share some patches.

Really interested in the Sequential Pro 3 but really I’m trying to hold on for a 5-octave poly synth. Haven’t found one I like enough yet. I like the Prophet 6 and OB-6 but they are only 49-key. I’m really hoping Sequential do a poly based on the Pro 3.

Edited by Quatschmacher

I'm one of those "I've got to work with what I got" guys, you know, disabilty, retired from working in the cooking biz, no income coming in, soooo....I have a NORD LEAD ll that I try to get those PFunk Bernie Worrell sounds outa its what I got. But I have loved the Moog since the day it was born

• Like 1

Performed with a couple of my favourite local bassists behind me... trying to pretend they arn't there! This is a track I've always wanted to do!

@Quatschmacher Have you considered any of the Behringer offerings? Looks like the Deepmind 6 could be a useful tool for us lot!

• Like 2

On 12/02/2020 at 23:12, knicknack said:

Performed with a couple of my favourite local bassists behind me... trying to pretend they arn't there! This is a track I've always wanted to do!

@Quatschmacher Have you considered any of the Behringer offerings? Looks like the Deepmind 6 could be a useful tool for us lot!

Love this track!

I didn't like the Deepmind. I had their Model D but it was faulty (modulation would never get to zero which threw the pitch out). It sounded awesome otherwise. 

I'm actually waiting to see what Sequential come out with in the hope that they'll release a poly that I'm interested in.

Edited by Quatschmacher

• 1 month later...

I've been threatening to buy a Sub Phatty to keep me occupied through lockdown - it would be my first keyed instrument. Nice to join somebody else's journey since you've done exactly what I'm gonna do.

You simply must learn this. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 11:11, knicknack said:

Anyone else spending more time on their synth playing at the moment?

They said it, and I want to join in with the choir: you bloody nailed it, Knicknack.
Wonderful timing and wonderful patches (and I just love bringing in an appeal-to-authority argument in that I'm a keyboard guy who taught synths 'n' stuff at music college once, just so you get the idea it ain't meant as idle words).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Duarte said:

I've been threatening to buy a Sub Phatty to keep me occupied through lockdown - it would be my first keyed instrument. Nice to join somebody else's journey since you've done exactly what I'm gonna do.

You simply must learn this. 

Had a crack at programming this on the Future Impact:

Anyone else notice the remarkable similarity of the B section bass line to the opening of Parliament's "One Nation Under A Groove"? Check the 1.08 mark, then compare it with this:

@lee650

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...