Why become a member? ×

Eden Nemesis Trouble!

jhamler

My Nemesis 4 x 10 combo has just started doing something really WIERD...

When the power is plugged in and the amp is switched off, the power light stil runs kinda half on, slightly flickering.. (very dodgy!)

When I flick the switch on, the power light gets marginally brighter but no sound emerges. Not a hum.

Has anyone had similar problems or is my amp well and truely screwed?

Jon

[quote name='jhamler' post='37025' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:46 PM']My Nemesis 4 x 10 combo has just started doing something really WIERD...

When the power is plugged in and the amp is switched off, the power light stil runs kinda half on, slightly flickering.. (very dodgy!)

When I flick the switch on, the power light gets marginally brighter but no sound emerges. Not a hum.

Has anyone had similar problems or is my amp well and truely screwed?

Jon[/quote]

I'm no expert (standard get-out phrase I believe :huh: ), but I'd be pointing a finger at the on/off switch to start with, assuming that an internal fuse hasn't gone.

There is a fuse for the treble driver (an aircraft light I think!), but this wouldn't cause the symptoms you've got if it had gone. Does the amp section hum when you put your ear right next to it? If so, then power is getting to the power supply section. If not, then either the power supply is sh*gged or the switch isn't making/breaking the correct contacts. Well that's my guess but I'm happy to be proved wrong and learn a bit. :)

In any case, get it checked by a professional if you're not absolutely sure. I've arced and melted one screwdriver too many.

[quote name='woodster' post='37169' date='Jul 26 2007, 09:29 AM']I believe that the mains fuse in Eden amps is AFTER the on/off switch and power light so if this blows, the amp appears to be on but won't make any noise.

Might be worth taking a look....[/quote]

Woodster,

If you are right and all I have to do is change a fuse, you are my new best friend.

[quote name='jhamler' post='37235' date='Jul 26 2007, 11:05 AM']Woodster,

If you are right and all I have to do is change a fuse, you are my new best friend.[/quote]
...........but, find out why the fuse blew in the first place!!!