Left leaderboard

Posted (edited)

It's with heavy heart that I put this bass up for sale, but needs must (with redundancy and a future house-move on the cards).
In great condition for its' age, and a lovely player, with gorgeous vintage sound :)

There are a few dinks and dings on the bass, including a 2mm x 1.5mm x 1mm dink on the back of the neck, around fret 11 - easily filled, though it never bothered me actually.
There's a light "bloom" of buckle rash in the usual place, which isn't easy to photograph.

The main thing to say about this bass, is that it's otherwise in great condition given it's approaching 40 years old. Somehow, this bass just feels and sounds absolutely awesome - it has a real vintage tone and feel. These basses are rated very highly by people who own and play them, and you have to try one to understand quite why. It's the best feeling and sounding P bass I've ever played.

With the job situation being as it is, I have to sell something (not urgently - so no daft offers please) - I just need to thin the herd, as we will be moving house within the next 8 - 10 months, and are down-sizing. I'm gigging with another P bass these days - only because it is slightly lighter weight, and is another great bass. I can no longer justify 3x P basses, plus my P/J Limelight. I may even list another P over the coming days, and keep this one.... as I'm so torn :(

It weighs in at just a shade over 4kg - so is no boat anchor. Like I say, I've got 2 other P's which are lighter - though neither is in my favourite 3TSB, Rosewood, Tort combo. Mrs S said to me the other day "Do you really need two basses the same colour?" of my Roadworn Jazz! ;) I had the bass set up, including a light fret-dress & level, by A-strings of Treforest, near Pontypridd. The frets are in good condition, with plenty of life left in them. I believe everything else is original on the bass (as I was told by the previous BC owner). I did change the control knobs for an old 70's set, as they were in better condition (re the chrome)

It's currently wearing a set of worn-in Thomastik Flats. It came with some Dunlop flats, and I tried several other strings, but decided it just felt better with the TI's. I can let you have the Dunlops, or a new set of rounds if you prefer? But I'll leave the TI's on, as they just seem to suit the bass

Based in North Cardiff - but I can meet somewhere half way, as I've got amp headphones and a battery amp (Roland) to test at the ubiquitous Motorway services / pub
Please note I am NOT looking for any trades at all, and would prefer not to post (abroad or UK) - I also want you to try this bass, and fall for it, like I did, and to know that you've got it safely in your hands
In this moment of madness, as I'm typing this, I may decide to either sell another bass instead, or else change my mind completely.... lol

I'm asking slightly less than what I paid for it, given that I had the work done on the bass

IMG_20190716_075823137.jpg

IMG_20190716_075832780.jpg

IMG_20190716_075916577.jpg

IMG_20190716_075841492.jpg

IMG_20190716_075930685.jpg

IMG_20190704_200641077.jpg

IMG_20190716_080021491.jpg

IMG_20190716_080050733.jpg

IMG_20190716_075930685.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, bassadder said:

What's the trussrod like is there plenty left on it?

Yes, plenty. I tested this myself just before the set-up. I was swapping around between different tension strings (low tension Thomastiks, some higher tension Dunlops and I tried rounds on it too - just to see if I'd prefer them) The trussrod moves freely, and with bags of adjustment... Cheers now

I've had a couple of messages about this bass recently
It's currently on hold, pending collection in the next couple of weeks  (apologies, I should have mentioned this earlier)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By loremil
      Hello,
      Purchased this amazing handmade Wilcock Short-Scale "The Mullarkey" bass. Handmade here in London, this is a fantastic instrument and only selling because I need the money. I bought it new from The Bass Gallery in London and the pictures they took still apply now - it is in great condition and sounds amazing.
      Comes with a set of short scale flatwounds and a long Neurotech strap with straplocks.
      Collection in London would be greatly preferred, and no trades please.
      Thanks for looking.
      Specs:
      - Alder or body
      - All Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard
      - 30 inch scale, 20 fret neck (60mm at 20th fret - 40mm at the nut)
      - Graph tech nut
      - Double action truss rod
      - Medium jumbo frets
      - Bolt on neck
      - Two custom Armstrong single coil Pickups
      - 3 way selector switch and master tone and master volume
      - All Hipshot hardware (Kickass bridge and super light tuners)
      - Dunlop strap locks - supplied with Neotech strap

• By bassintheface
      WITHDRAWN FROM SALE
      £2950.00

Hello all!
      This is a feeler for the sale my awesome condition 1973 / 74 Fender Jazz bass in Sunburst.
      Its RW board, block inlays and bound.
      Photos are here in my photobucket album - 
      http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/bassintheface/library/Fender Jazz Bass 1973 - 1974
      It's in really excellent condition with only a couple of minor chips which I've tried to clearly show on the pics.
      The serial number on the neck plate is 509063 which is 1973 / 1974 which puts it as one of the last 4 bolt neck versions out of Fullerton before they went to the bullet truss rod and 3 bolt neck in 1974 / 75.
      The CTS pot codes date the bass to 5th Week 1974 - Jan / Feb (1377405) so the feedback on the age was that it was likely put together very late 1973 or very early 1974 - as you know with Fender around this time, its a combination of date stamps that help you get an age of an instrument.
      It comes with a generic hardcase and re issue versions of the pickup cover and ashtray from a USA 70's reissue.
      I will get neck end photos and pickup photos - from memory, you can only see a stamp on the bridge pickup now since the rewind of the neck pick up - its 5 years or so since Matt had it open, so will check  his photos and hopefully  add to the photobucket album above - if not, I'll have to get it opened up.
      I bought it from a friend around 5 or 6 years ago and the story was (note that this is completely unsubstantiated) that it belonged to Andy Scott of the Sweet and was used for recording /demos and never gigged, hence the condition. I really don't know if this is true and no one will ever know, but Andy Scott is from my hometown of Wrexham so it is plausible.
      The bass had been unplayed for a number of years prior to my purchase and upon getting it, the neck pickup didn't work and the elecs were intermittent and crackly.
      I swiftly sent it over to the very excellent Matthew John Bascetta in Chester - http://www.mjbluthier.co.uk/
      for a full clean, pro set up and a rewind of the neck pick up - Matt is also the guy behind the excellent 'House of Tone' pickups - https://www.houseoftonepickups.com/
      and he did a full rewind using period correct wire and hand winding, inc wax potting - you can see him at work below.
      It now plays beautifully and sounds, IMO awesome!  
      Feel free to ask any questions - I'd just appreciate PM's with an expression of interest initially as I really don't want to sell it being honest, but it lives at home (non smoking household) and  don't gig it our of fear of damaging it.
      You won't find many in this condition.
      No trades, viewing welcome.
      Cash on collection or bacs.
      I don't want to post this out of fear of it being damaged! 

• By ChrisJaxon
      Price now £280
      I have another bass in-coming, so one has to go, and up for sale is my Squier Contemporary Active HH Jazz 5-string in black. I bought this new in December 2018, and I have used it at a few gigs and jams, and it sounds great, especially with the wide variety of tones you can get from the two humbuckers with the bass and treble boosts. It can really growl as well as honk. It would be a slapper’s delight, but I do not do slap!
      The bass is essentially in as new condition, all original.
      Specification details and video review available on the Andertons website here
      Strung with d’Addario EXL170’s.
      I can post the bass if required, but personal collection and try-out preferred. I live near Stroud in Gloucestershire.

• By ale29
      Sadowsky Metroline RS4, Made in Japan model with 2 piece Alder body and a beautiful Pau Ferro fingerboard.
      Very good conditions, considering it's been my only music companion for almost three years; used but not abused. I tried to take a picture of any ding.
      Year of birth 2015. Weight is 4.0 kgs. Completely original.
      It has always been strung with Thomastik Flatwound JF344 (flatwound strings), perfect setup.
      Sold with a Sadowsky NYC case, in average aesthetic conditions but perfectly functional.
      Payment with Bank Wire Transfer. 
      EDIT: Got a quote from the courier (Mailboxes etc.) about shipping costs: Packaging + Insurance + Delivery (any part of UK) would be around 115€, But I'm going to cover the shipping costs.

You can hear the bass here:

• By Can'tthinkofausername
      PRICE DROP: £240
      Offering up my Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass for sale. These are highly regarded and for good reason: fantastic quality, super-solid and with a beautiful neck. Plays as well as any bass I own or have owned, and with a Gotoh 201 bridge, Di Marzio DP 123 pick-ups and a Kiogon ‘push/pull’ loom will be more than a match for many other modern Jazzes. Knobs swapped out too for a more authentic look. A few small bruises as shown. Selling as it just doesn’t get the playing time it truly deserves and I just seem to be more of a Precision man!  Original pickups also supplied. Collection from near Oxford initially please: questions welcomed!