Why become a member? ×

Guitarist turned bassist. Be easy on me!

Friskydingo

So I have turned to bass to accommodate new members of my rock covers band. 

I've been playing about 17 years and this will be the first time gigging with bass. 

I have a tokai bass, styled like a brand which doesn't like being copied.

What I don't have is a bass amp, so please help with suggestions for something £500 max, head or combo. 

Thanks, chris

Plenty of guitarists turned bass players here. Welcome to low end. Check out the for sale section here, you should be able to put a nice little rig together for about £500, Markbass stuff isn’t a bad place to start and there seems to be a bit available at the moment.

Welcome, getting "demoted" to the bass happened to Paul McCartney too, poor sod, ruined the man!

So let me get this right, your band "demote" you to the bass to make way for some young guitar hero and expect you to fork out for an amp? Come on now, there's space for emotional blackmail here :laugh1:

Have a look in the sale section on here Chris. There's some cracking stuff going at silly prices. I think there's still a Warwick stack going for about £250. Silly money. If all else fails and your back is up to carrying it, have a look on eBay for some old Trace Elliott gear. It goes for next to nothing these days, and you can't go far wrong with it. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

If you decide to check out gear for sale here on BassChat be aware that there's a Feedback sub-forum where members review other members with whom they've transacted. Not everyone is on there but it's a useful indicator. 

There are also helpful threads on Avoiding Rip-Offs, Couriers and Packing  and PayPal Gift Payments

Have a great time here :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

Thanks for the extra info.

You won't be thanking us when the GAS kicks in, your house fills up with basses and rigs and your partner starts giving you the hairy eyeball xD

Edited by skankdelvar

3 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

You won't be thanking us when the GAS kicks in, your house fills up with basses and rigs and your partner starts giving you the hairy eyeball xD

She has already accepted I'll need new gear for a bass rig. I have been selling stuff already and she got a new pair of Dr martens, so a compromise was made. ;)

• Like 1

On 15/07/2019 at 20:01, Friskydingo said:

So I have turned to bass to accommodate new members of my rock covers band. 

I've been playing about 17 years and this will be the first time gigging with bass. 

I have a tokai bass, styled like a brand which doesn't like being copied.

What I don't have is a bass amp, so please help with suggestions for something £500 max, head or combo. 

Thanks, chris

Is it like a Rickenbacker? 😃

The only thing they love around here more than a Rickenbacker, is a Rickensimilar. 🤩