Why become a member? ×

Lemmy in Frankie goes to Hollywood

police squad

Great song, great Trevor Horn production, probably the worst bass miming ever! 

Missed Lemmy (distracted by the lady) - I'll have to watch it again......

He did pop up everywhere in those days mind, usually on Tiswas

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 1

Just to stray moderately back on topic ...

a) that Lemmy / stripper cameo has to be the weirdest sequence I've ever seen. Do you suppose the Frankies knew any of that was going to happen?

b) isn't that one of the Calm Down Scousers on drums?

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, V2factoryman said:

Brilliant clip! Wasn't this band put together by Paul Morley to prove that hit music could be "manufactured"? Opened the floodgates.

I don't think so, they formed as a proper band but Trevor Horn produced the snot out of them with his Fairlight after signing them to ZTT

On 15/07/2019 at 15:54, Shaggy said:

Great song, great Trevor Horn production, probably the worst bass miming ever! 

2 hours ago, V2factoryman said:

Brilliant clip! Wasn't this band put together by Paul Morley to prove that hit music could be "manufactured"? Opened the floodgates.

According to an interview with Trevor Horn that I heard back then, they were a proper band. The bass player, Mark O’Toole, was quite a busy “slap-bass player”. Horn had to simplify a lot of his lines as part of the production process.

I remember FGTH rehearsing at Nomis Studios for their TOTP debut, I had to restrain the bass player from the band I was working with so he didn’t stagger in to drunkenly berate Holly & Co for their bad playing, which, tbh, wasn’t that bad, or perhaps we were both rather drunk, not sure.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SICbass said:

According to an interview with Trevor Horn that I heard back then, they were a proper band. The bass player, Mark O’Toole, was quite a busy “slap-bass player”. Horn had to simplify a lot of his lines as part of the production process.

Norman Watt-Roy played the bass that Horn sampled for 'Relax'. But, yeh, O'Toole was a slap-merchant.

Trevor Horn did a terrific work when you hear that original unedited version... But tha are way much worse original versions, like Devo, for example.

Thanks Lemmy (who surely must be a god 😁), there were fantastic producers and arrangers by the time.

Lemmy... what a top geezer.

And does anyone remember that summer of XXXL white tees with black bold caps across the front: all starting 'Frankie says (the first was 'Frankie says Relax', it went from there). Fashion eh?! That was the work of Paul Morley and the ZTT hype machine ;)

Edited by Soledad

4 hours ago, Soledad said:

Lemmy... what a top geezer.

And does anyone remember that summer of XXXL white tees with black bold caps across the front: all starting 'Frankie says (the first was 'Frankie says Relax', it went from there). Fashion eh?! That was the work of Paul Morley and the ZTT hype machine ;)

I was best man for a mate around this time.. they got his n hers 'frankie says just married' tees..