Why become a member? ×

Copyright now being taken to a whole new level

funkgod

There is going to be arguments for and against this topic, i think its sad that you are not even allowed to even talk about a chord in a song with out some sort of copyright infringement,  on saying that we can argue that yes you can talk about it you just can not make money talking about it, so once your video on you tube starts to make money for say a million views then that money would be taken away from you because of copyright infringement, i am wondering how deep that rabbit hole can go ? for example at your next bass bash if you paid for a famous bass player to come and chat about playing bass, if he talks about other bass lines other than his own then going on the above would he have to give his cash to universal music group ? going on this maybe he would, . i have a feeling its about to get worse, i have a vid on youtube showing how to connect two digi mixers, not in the manuals, never been done before, it took allot of working out, if my vid gets enough views to make money, (not that i did it for that) could that then be taken away as i am using a branded product to make that vid ? i think so, it would be never ending, sad really,  just another way to stifle creativity,

your thoughts ?

Edited by funkgod
  • Sad 2

Pertinent copyright infringement alert...

Yes, I know my enemies!
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me!
Compromise! Conformity! Assimilation! Submission!
Ignorance! Hypocrisy! Brutality! The elite!
All of which are American dreams!

• Like 4

The other side of it is the countless number of folks who think they can upload and do what they wish with someone else’s music. Those who show no respect for the work of creative artists, not just for big acts, but for us bottom-dwellers too. For example, I released some music recently, recorded with a mate. Ahead of the full release date, we released one song on youtube and, a couple of days later, another song on bandcamp. A few days later, we released the third and final song on youtube (we do very low tempo stuff so our three songs clock in at just under half an hour 😂 ).

The next day, my mate sent me a link to a youtube video asking if I had put it up. I checked the video. It was our three songs in one video, compiled by someone in Poland who had ripped the audio from bandcamp and uploaded our music, ahead of our chosen release date, using the original artwork we paid for, without our permission. It’s small potatoes, I know, but to have someone wrestle what little control you have of how your music is released and presented is a pretty crap feeling and takes a lot of the fun out of what should be an enjoyable event.  Checking the guy’s channels, he had more than one, all he did was upload other people’s music from all genres randomly and try to monetise it.

Around the same time, we received an email from another guy asking permission to upload it. His channel is also just music he uploads, but he promotes the kind of genre we operate in and he asked first, so we gave permission. To get onto Spotify, itunes, etc, we had to go through a broker service - we chose cdbaby - and also published through them. A few days later, I noticed the licensing information added to the second guy’s video, see below. This was done via the clever algorithms called out in the OP’s video, no doubt.

While I think the situations outlined in the OP’s video are extreme and pushing things a bit too far, it should be remembered that there are plenty of people using original music without permission for their own gain. It’s not just The Eagles who won’t miss another ivory backscratcher, but us nobodies, too, who are getting screwed. There is merit to both sides of the arguement. As with everything, some balance is required to find the appropriate solution. We’re not there yet, though.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ianrendall said:

I’ve always thought that men in suits do more damage than men with guns. 

. . . . on the other hand, who is doing the stealing? 

For a couple of decades now, a very large part of Youtube and the rest of the internet has been full of stuff being reproduced without permission or payment to the original artist or writer. The artists seemed to have largely given up the fight over the use of their property, but I'm surprised that the publishers have taken so long to get to grips with the internet. Now they have, the genie appears to be being put back into the bottle!

Currently the pendulum appears to have swung too far the other way, but in the end I would imagine the best course of action is for the owners and users of copyrighted material get together and form licence agreements for what they need.

• Like 2