Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

3 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

The people bowing out, or indeed being asked to leave, can knuckle down, practice and become a better musician as a result of the experience, such as the scenario with Blackmore, Paice and Lynott. Hardly a waist of time.

The event you are talking about is a group of musicians getting together for a jam to see if something worked, it happens all the time and it is perfectly reasonable and a waste of noones time, so not really relevant to what I was talking about. I also suspect that Blackmore and Paice, having already been in Deep Purple for some time were actually fairly good.

I am referring to groups where you are there for 6-12 months getting excuse after excuse why they can't do such and such a gig before it becomes clear that it is never going to happen.

I can't quite get your point here, you seem to be saying it is perfectly justifiable for a group that has no intention to gig to tell someone they do want to gig so they can stay with them, and it really isn't.

I am not (and noone has) saying that it is wrong to have a group that has no intention of gigging, there are loads of those (in fact that thread is all about that), just at the point where someone says 'hey, do you want to be in our band' they should also add 'We have no real intention of gigging' so everyone is clear where they stand and are not wasting anyones time, and don't get me wrong, getting someone in your band who wants to gig is a waste of their time, they can become a better musician in a group that is going the way they want.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Great set list and you will need a cracking singer to get them songs over the line. If you get that guy, it should be great fun.

Yeah it will be difficult, the guy who used to work at our rehearsal studio said either a young guy who still has the ability to go high or a girl with a strong voice would be our best choices. Chances are unlikely on either, given if we did gig it would be two or three max per year I can’t see someone who is able to sing those songs properly not wanting to be gigging regularly.

• Like 1

I’ve read this a few times…

I can take it or leave it.

I gigged like a bastard from 13 years old to 34.

And I don’t need to do it.

I have debated it, joining a covers band just to play live…

But I just don’t care.

I’ve done big festivals and sh*tty pubs, full theatres and empty gig venues.

I just don’t need or desire to gig much - about 4 a year would do me

• Like 3

On 14/04/2022 at 09:31, ubit said:

I can honestly say we have never played in a place with a house P.A. We have always had to lug our own gear about.

Very overated. Most soundman are absolute bass hating ladyboys. Only one step up the evolutional ladder from wedding dj,s 😉😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

The people bowing out, or indeed being asked to leave, can knuckle down, practice and become a better musician as a result of the experience, such as the scenario with Blackmore, Paice and Lynott. Hardly a waist of time.

In my experience, band members at the outset can have varying intentions, in many regards, but the some of the parts can result in a really good outcome. Even tensions between members can be acknowledged and contribute to the creative process. Plenty of examples.

Nothing to detract from your unusual all good non gigging band experience but you're way off in left field when it comes to the general band with a couple of closet non giggers in it wasting everyone else's time.

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah it will be difficult, the guy who used to work at our rehearsal studio said either a young guy who still has the ability to go high or a girl with a strong voice would be our best choices. Chances are unlikely on either, given if we did gig it would be two or three max per year I can’t see someone who is able to sing those songs properly not wanting to be gigging regularly.

As an experienced (classical) singer, age per se is not a limitation to being able to sing tenor when older (there are some limitations with counter tenor though). The main reason people struggle when older to sing the higher notes is poor technique meaning they're using way too much effort to sing. If a singer is basically indulging in 'tuned shouting' then their voice will tire quickly and they risk damaging the voice as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lowend soldier said:

Very overated. Most soundman are absolute bass hating ladyboys. Only one step up the evolutional ladder from wedding dj,s 😉😂😂😂

A band I was in for a while had a regular gig at the Fiddler's Elbow in Camden, sound crew there were very good, used to take DI from my amp & mix it with a mic in front of my cab, sounded good on stage and out front. The soundman was usually a soundlady, she definitely knew her stuff!

• Like 2

Sound "persons" can be a hit or a miss. I've had some great ones and some disastrous ones. 

I liked the comment about them being one step up the evolution from a DJ. That to me is spot on for most of them but i've had a few that were bass players themselves and the sound comes out brilliant with a great balanced mix with nothing overly loud.

With ex DJ's the bass gets lost and even our guitarist has picked up on it during sound check and corrected it.

Dave

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The event you are talking about is a group of musicians getting together for a jam to see if something worked, it happens all the time and it is perfectly reasonable and a waste of noones time, so not really relevant to what I was talking about. I also suspect that Blackmore and Paice, having already been in Deep Purple for some time were actually fairly good.

I am referring to groups where you are there for 6-12 months getting excuse after excuse why they can't do such and such a gig before it becomes clear that it is never going to happen.

I can't quite get your point here, you seem to be saying it is perfectly justifiable for a group that has no intention to gig to tell someone they do want to gig so they can stay with them, and it really isn't.

I am not (and noone has) saying that it is wrong to have a group that has no intention of gigging, there are loads of those (in fact that thread is all about that), just at the point where someone says 'hey, do you want to be in our band' they should also add 'We have no real intention of gigging' so everyone is clear where they stand and are not wasting anyones time, and don't get me wrong, getting someone in your band who wants to gig is a waste of their time, they can become a better musician in a group that is going the way they want.

Pretty much every  band I have been in from start up, that had the intention of gigging, jammed out in the initial stages to test the waters, find a groove, develop a style and so on. I would have thought that to be the norm. A good jam session can bring to the surface interesting ideas and creativity that are necessary to write material that is required for gigging. In my experience it is part of the process

Rehearsing for up to 12 months with guys who come up with excuses after excuse to not gig, surely would be the exception. It hardly takes that long to suss out such a guy, be he dishonest or otherwise. It should be apparent in a matter of weeks and can be dealt with one way or another.

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I would feel its ok to rope people into a project under false pretences. That would be disingenuous and plainly dishonest. I assure you I strive daily to be neither.

People coming together, be it a band or otherwise, will have a degree of unpredictability, together with having to  rub up one another for better or worse. In my opinion dealing with someone who is not showing their full hand, is part of lifes lessons that can  lead to one's flourishing and wisdom. The only soul being destroyed is that of the person who is being  deceitful 

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Nothing to detract from your unusual all good non gigging band experience but you're way off in left field when it comes to the general band with a couple of closet non giggers in it wasting everyone else's time.

I don't see all that much unusual about my experience as a band member. I played for over 40 years, so guess In that time, I have experienced many different scenarios. I guess I am always a glass half full type of guy and therefore look for the positive in every day, even when faced  with adversity and people who are disingenuous. Its a matter of what lense we wear when dealing with such and we can often turn a disadvantage into an advantage. For me there are always worthwhile lessons to be learned. Thats been my experience but obviously not everybody's. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Ah, from memory we do

Devils Bleeding Crown - Volbeat

This Corrosion - Maryslim version

Runaway - Bon Jovi

Stargazer, Tarot Woman, I Surrender - Rainbow

Dazed & Confused - Led Zep

Wayward Son - Kansas

Its So Easy, Live & Let Die - Guns N Roses

Out in The Fields - Gary Moore

Holy Diver - Dio

And just about to do Fairies Wear Boots by Black Sabbath

Edit - how did I forget to put in Highway Star by Deep Purple!

Don't know them all, and can play maybe half of them to a reasonable standard. 

Not only do I feel for any potential vocalist, but if your drummer can do them justice..

That's Paice, Ward, Bonham, Torres (?)

(That I can think of !) Yikes!

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

The soundman was usually a soundlady, she definitely knew her stuff!

I don't often get FOH but when I do the sound engineer has usually been very good. I can only remember one who wasn't, and he was at a local festival.

And I've never had a problem with monitoring or the sound on stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I don't often get FOH but when I do the sound engineer has usually been very good. I can only remember one who wasn't, and he was at a local festival.

And I've never had a problem with monitoring or the sound on stage.

In the 9mths i've experienced 3 that have been poor or just not quite there with the sound. They're usually at venues doing lots of different styles of bands so maybe its just that they dont do many punk or 70's Glam Rock cover bands or maybe i'm being too much of a critic. The gigs have all gone down well so its maybe just from my own perspective on stage or from vid clips that i'm noticing things. Its hard to tell from phone vids as the recording quality isn't usually that good anyways but i have gone out front at sound checks and had to tell SE to adjust levels. Guitarist also had to do it on occasion.   

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

In the 9mths i've experienced 3 that have been poor or just not quite there with the sound. They're usually at venues doing lots of different styles of bands so maybe its just that they dont do many punk or 70's Glam Rock cover bands or maybe i'm being too much of a critic. The gigs have all gone down well so its maybe just from my own perspective on stage or from vid clips that i'm noticing things. Its hard to tell from phone vids as the recording quality isn't usually that good anyways but i have gone out front at sound checks and had to tell SE to adjust levels. Guitarist also had to do it on occasion.   

Dave

100% my point and and the driving factor for my life long battle with the "bass players box" that is auto asigned, as if it was wrote into the 10 commandments. That also extends too studio,s also.... Too many accept these limitations imo. 

Bass must always be the foundation, but foundations come in many different designs which inherently form the shape of the building. 

Theres a place for square boxes and music should be never be one of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Don't know them all, and can play maybe half of them to a reasonable standard. 

Not only do I feel for any potential vocalist, but if your drummer can do them justice..

That's Paice, Ward, Bonham, Torres (?)

(That I can think of !) Yikes!

Luckily our drummer is more than up to the job. The only downside to him is his kit, it’s enormous and takes forever to load/unload and set up/break down. But he’s like a human metronome, and has nailed all of them really well.

1 hour ago, Lowend soldier said:

100% my point and and the driving factor for my life long battle with the "bass players box" that is auto asigned, as if it was wrote into the 10 commandments. That also extends too studio,s also.... Too many accept these limitations imo. 

Bass must always be the foundation, but foundations come in many different designs which inherently form the shape of the building. 

I know i'm getting a good mix when the SE listens to my on stage tone then sets up his channel to match and goes between the two to get it right.

Luckily i've had a few SE that said the bass tone from my Mesa was so good they didn't need to change the desk from a flat setting. I liked that :laugh1:

Some venues tend to have a preset bass tone set up that is thunderously deep with no definition and i need to work with the SE to get the tone i like. Some are great and happy to help, others think they know best and can be a bit defensive. You need to be careful how you word it. Diplomacy 

NB : just to put into context i'm generally talking pub / rock venues rather than larger theatre sized venues. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowend soldier said:

Traditionally the bass is the bridge between the rhythm and the chords. There's nothing wrong with that. Tradition is a good thing, but bass doesn't always have to be pigeon holed. 

If you're any good you make your own boxes and if you are even better you make boxes irrelevant.

It's all up to the player.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Traditionally the bass is the bridge between the rhythm and the chords. There's nothing wrong with that. Tradition is a good thing, but bass doesn't always have to be pigeon holed. 

If you're any good you make your own boxes and if you are even better you make boxes irrelevant.

It's all up to the player.

Absolutely.......... 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so gigged last night with my fusion trio.

Really enjoyed it, audience enjoyed it. So why did I enjoy it, when I “hate gigging”.

It was 2 miles from my front door, we were finished and away by 10:00, home by 10:30 via McDonald’s. 
So it’s not necessarily I hate gigging then? I just hate the travelling and hours of “hanging around” for an hour or so of playing.

Conclusion?

I’m just a lazy sod 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Ok so gigged last night with my fusion trio.

Really enjoyed it, audience enjoyed it. So why did I enjoy it, when I “hate gigging”.

It was 2 miles from my front door, we were finished and away by 10:00, home by 10:30 via McDonald’s. 
So it’s not necessarily I hate gigging then? I just hate the travelling and hours of “hanging around” for an hour or so of playing.

Conclusion?

I’m just a lazy sod 😂

I get where you're coming from. I had a "local" gig last week at a pub that was my 2nd home in 80's. It was 30min drive, an easy load in / out and i got to meet up with a lot of friends from when i lived in that area. We finished 11:30pm and packed up and ready to go at 12pm but it was the fact i was only a 30 min drive to get home with little or no traffic on the roads because its basically countryside after the first 10mins.

Its the travel distance to/from a gig that gets me. 

That was the punk band.

The Glam band can be a pain after a gig as you need to get changed before you can start stripping gear down. You also need time after the gig to cool down and dry off the sweat. LOL

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Seriously Dave?? Get changed???

You don’t call in at a late night food outlet on way home in Spandex, eyeliner and perm? 

Lazy bugger! 😊

Its the platform boots. I'd need to sit in the back seat to reach the pedals :laugh1:

1764391305_Boots001.thumb.JPG.944eea822d1209fc1d41e3e91270a8d5.JPG

• Haha 4