Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What I can't grok are the bands that rehearse but don't gig. 

I have no idea what "grok" is, but I'm assuming it means understand.

I'd happily spend all my time in a room with my mates creating and playing music just for the hell of it. That's where I'm happiest. 

I hate people, and I have no desire to be a performing monkey for the great unwashed. To me, it's all about the creativity. I honestly couldn't care less if I never performed in front of a crowd. Most of them couldn't care less anyway. 

• Like 5

If you're not gigging, then a get together with friends playing instruments, isn't a rehearsal. 

It's probably not a performance either, I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe a jam? But it's certainly not a rehearsal or a practice. 

What is incredibly soul destroying is getting involved in a band who rehearse but never gig because they're either rehearsing inefficiently or certain members get stage fright and just want to get together with mates.

Then there's musicians who only want to play to friends and family and not travel anywhere. Hard work.

If you just want to get together with mates, then find musicians who just want to get together with mates, don't rope in musicians under false pretences. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s what I’m currently doing with Dom & the guys, Tim. We don’t want to gig - hence why we’ve not got a singer - we just like a get together once every other week to play some quite difficult songs. It makes us better as musicians, plus it’s a good laugh. I’ve become a lot better on bass doing this for the last couple of years, can play stuff I would have thought was far beyond me.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TimR said:

What is incredibly soul destroying is getting involved in a band who rehearse but never gig because they're either rehearsing inefficiently or certain members get stage fright and just want to get together with mates.

Then there's musicians who only want to play to friends and family and not travel anywhere. Hard work.

No it is not. I once played bass in a band purely for the purposes of rehearsing tunes knowing that gigging was extremely unlikely. It was about a mental health struggle that one of the members was going through and keeping in touch with his playing helped so much in his recovery. Stage fright was a trait he had even before his mental health struggles. What is incredibly soul destroying for you can be incredibly empowering for others. We are all different and exist in different sets of circumstances.

We ended up doing a few gigs for friends and family. It was the making of him. Everyone benefited. Hard work for him but worth every minute of it.

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 11

That's a great story. Well done.

Whether you play at home, with mates or at gigs its all about what makes you happy and as long as everyone in the band is happy then job done as far as i'm concerned.

I've been in bands that didn't want to gig only doing 1 or 2 gigs a year but it was too much travelling for me to carry on (1hr drive country roads 40 miles every Mon night) 

I really enjoyed playing the songs but there was no real drive for everyone to learn the songs properly because there was no real intention to gig. I always learn songs as close to the original as i can manage but others would turn up and expect to just jam it. That used to annoy me quite a bit.

Now i prefer to be in a band that wants to get out and gig coupe of times a month. 

Dave

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

They don't want to gig, but they want to get together and play, which is fine as long as when someone joins they know up front that that is the score.

12 hours ago, TimR said:

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

No it is not. I once played bass in a band purely for the purposes of rehearsing tunes knowing that gigging was extremely unlikely.

What your describing is exactly the opposite of what we are saying here. If you join a band knowing they are not gigging, that is fine and would have no issues with that (and probably wouldn't join).

This is referring to a group that you have joined after being told the intention is to gig, and then people always coming up with a reason you can't and putting it off. That IS soul destroying. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

What your describing is exactly the opposite of what we are saying here. If you join a band knowing they are not gigging, that is fine and would have no issues with that (and probably wouldn't join).

This is referring to a group that you have joined after being told the intention is to gig, and then people always coming up with a reason you can't and putting it off. That IS soul destroying. 

Not always. It is a common occurrence that can often result in people bowng out, being replaced, the show going on the road and everyone being the better for it. For many, It is the cut and thrust of being a musician. Plenty of lessons can be learned from such a scenario.

Happens to the best.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-of-baby-face-the-supergroup-that-almost-was

Who are the 'we' you refer to?

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I have no idea what "grok" is, but I'm assuming it means understand.

I'd happily spend all my time in a room with my mates creating and playing music just for the hell of it. That's where I'm happiest. 

I hate people, and I have no desire to be a performing monkey for the great unwashed. To me, it's all about the creativity. I honestly couldn't care less if I never performed in front of a crowd. Most of them couldn't care less anyway. 

That's sad to hear. I  have played dodgy gigs, to dodgy audiences, with a dodgy band, playing dodgy music and it's no fun.

But playing a good gig, with an enthusiastic audience and a good band is definitely an uplifting experience.

Since this covid malarky started I've been rehearsing endlessly with new bands but haven't had the chance to play any gigs. But my old band is getting together tonight and we'll be getting up to play a few songs tonight at a venue we used to play at pre covid.

I cannot wait!!!!!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TimR said:

I played with them for a bit, but didn't really have time in the end. Chris was singing. Some fun tunes to play.

Say hi to them, great bunch of guys. 

Will do Tim

Chris hasn’t been around since before I joined so it’s vocless at present, and likely to stay that way. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Not always. It is a common occurrence that can often result in people bowng out, being replaced, the show going on the road and everyone being the better for it. For many, It is the cut and thrust of being a musician. Plenty of lessons can be learned from such a scenario.

Happens to the best.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-of-baby-face-the-supergroup-that-almost-was

WOW i didn't know that about Lynott and Blackmore / Paice. BC is a hive of information.

Cheers

Dave

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Will do Tim

Chris hasn’t been around since before I joined so it’s vocless at present, and likely to stay that way. 

I'm curious what songs you guys are playing without a singer. ?

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Telstar..? Apaché..? Tubular Bells..? Careful With That Axe, Eugene..? Dark End Of The Street..? The list could be long... ;) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

WOW i didn't know that about Lynott and Blackmore / Paice. BC is a hive of information.

Cheers

Dave

How interesting it would have been if it worked out. Then again if it had, we would not had Thin Lizzy at their prime. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Not always. It is a common occurrence that can often result in people bowng out, being replaced, the show going on the road and everyone being the better for it.

It is common, and yes, those people who bow out are the people who want to actually gig and finally realise that despite promises, it is not going to happen. They are not the better for it, they have pretty well wasted their time.

For many, It is the cut and thrust of being a musician. Plenty of lessons can be learned from such a scenario.

Indeed. Check the intentions of the people you are joining a band with to ensure they align with yours.

Clearly the two people (including myself) that I quoted. Me and Him / We.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Both of those songs have lyrics :D

OK then (lyrics, maybe, but no need of a 'singer'..!). How about 'Take Five'..? Or any of the jazz standards..? Instrumental versions of the Beatles catalogue..? Beethoven's 5th..? The list could be long... ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Ah, from memory we do

Devils Bleeding Crown - Volbeat

This Corrosion - Maryslim version

Runaway - Bon Jovi

Stargazer, Tarot Woman, I Surrender - Rainbow

Dazed & Confused - Led Zep

Wayward Son - Kansas

Its So Easy, Live & Let Die - Guns N Roses

Out in The Fields - Gary Moore

Holy Diver - Dio

And just about to do Fairies Wear Boots by Black Sabbath

Edit - how did I forget to put in Highway Star by Deep Purple!

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Telstar..? Apaché..? Tubular Bells..? Careful With That Axe, Eugene..? Dark End Of The Street..? The list could be long... ;) 

That's why i asked @Lozz196 what they were playing.

Who are all those old songs you mention. All before my time :tatice_03:

I still have the Telstar single............from my Mum of course.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Ah, from memory we do

Runaway - Bon Jovi

Wayward Son - Kansas

Holy Diver - Dio

That's becoming my fav set list. If you get a singer and start gigging let me know 😂

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It is common, and yes, those people who bow out are the people who want to actually gig and finally realise that despite promises, it is not going to happen. They are not the better for it, they have pretty well wasted their time.

Indeed. Check the intentions of the people you are joining a band with to ensure they align with yours.

The people bowing out, or indeed being asked to leave, can knuckle down, practice and become a better musician as a result of the experience, such as the scenario with Blackmore, Paice and Lynott. Hardly a waist of time.

In my experience, band members at the outset can have varying intentions, in many regards, but the some of the parts can result in a really good outcome. Even tensions between members can be acknowledged and contribute to the creative process. Plenty of examples.

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s what I’m currently doing with Dom & the guys, Tim. We don’t want to gig - hence why we’ve not got a singer - we just like a get together once every other week to play some quite difficult songs. It makes us better as musicians, plus it’s a good laugh. I’ve become a lot better on bass doing this for the last couple of years, can play stuff I would have thought was far beyond me.

Thats fair enough. Its bands with endless excuses not to gig rather than being up front about it.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Ah, from memory we do

Runaway - Bon Jovi

Wayward Son - Kansas

Holy Diver - Dio

Great set list and you will need a cracking singer to get them songs over the line. If you get that guy, it should be great fun.

• Like 1