Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I'm not, you said gigging is a musicians whole life (or at least that is what I assume you meant), which it doesn't really need to be.

I didn't meant the whole full life. As a musician You can clearly live Your 2nd. life - work, family, friends, but if You call Yourself as a musician now, You must do that moving stuff and gig. You can't just sit at home and write C, F,G and call yourself as a musician - these are novadays not Beeethoven.

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

We sent an actual link to a youtube track. The version we were doing. Just click the link, but no, didn't work.

The problem is you then have to keep a list of links somewhere and sit through adverts. I find YouTube a nightmare to learn songs through. 

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

The problem is you then have to keep a list of links somewhere and sit through adverts. I find YouTube a nightmare to learn songs through. 

Youtube keeps a track of what you visited and has no more adverts than spotify has (and you can't skip spotifys ones).

18 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I didn't meant the whole full life. As a musician You can clearly live Your 2nd. life - work, family, friends, but if You call Yourself as a musician now, You must do that moving stuff and gig.

Not that I fully understand what your second life thing is, or what 'that moving stuff' is but no, you don't have to gig to be a musician.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I didn't meant the whole full life. As a musician You can clearly live Your 2nd. life - work, family, friends, but if You call Yourself as a musician now, You must do that moving stuff and gig. You can't just sit at home and write C, F,G and call yourself as a musician - these are novadays not Beeethoven.

There are musicians beyond count that learn and practise their chosen instruments, or sing, or compose, in the privacy of their homes, with no intention nor desire to perform in public. Maybe, perhaps, for a family event or a social evening, but not 'gigging' in the accepted sense of regular outings, often for money. I suspect, but cannot prove, that there are more amateur musicians than gigging ones on the planet. :|

16 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Yeah, right?!? Maybe You would like to compare Guns 'n Roses with Homer Simpson.

Guns And Roses? Homer....? No, see, look.... you said "Beethoven" and then...... actually no forget it, the joke just isn't funny when it needs explaining. 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There are musicians beyond count that learn and practise their chosen instruments, or sing, or compose, in the privacy of their homes, with no intention nor desire to perform in public. Maybe, perhaps, for a family event or a social evening, but not 'gigging' in the accepted sense of regular outings, often for money. I suspect, but cannot prove, that there are more amateur musicians than gigging ones on the planet. :|

That, together with musicians posting videos on YouTube and the like. There is a guitar player nearby who has built up a decent YouTube following and sells lessons online. Makes a decent living from the comfort of his own livingroom. He has no desire to gig.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Youtube keeps a track of what you visited and has no more adverts than spotify has (and you can't skip spotifys ones).

My Spotify has no adverts. 

YouTube does have a play history but mine isn't limited to songs I've got to learn for the band. 

There's more than one way to skin a cat, I'm just suggesting one I find a lot more easy to manage and share. If we add a song to the playlist it automatically updates on everyone's list. Plus I can listen to an entire Spotify playlist or select a single track in the car via the car ICES, or even via google voice control. Not sure YouTube and diving are compatible. 

Edited by TimR

Surely being a musician is the same as every job. 

There's extremely boring parts to everyone's job that we just have to knuckle down and get done. 

A load of people like to compare us to call out plumbers. I'm guessing a lot of call outs plumbers go to are unblocking drains or stopping floods. Hardly exciting new problems and creatively designing new installs. 

53 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I suspect, but cannot prove, that there are more amateur musicians than gigging ones on the planet. 

Possibly. But bass players? What does a bass player do who is not playing with other musicians?

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Surely being a musician is the same as every job. 

There's extremely boring parts to everyone's job that we just have to knuckle down and get done. 

A load of people like to compare us to call out plumbers. I'm guessing a lot of call outs plumbers go to are unblocking drains or stopping floods. Hardly exciting new problems and creatively designing new installs. 

Call out plumbers get paid substantially more that the 'weekend warrior's bass player playing the pub or club scene around these parts. 

15 minutes ago, TimR said:

Possibly. But bass players? What does a bass player do who is not playing with other musicians?

Exactly - if You are not giging then there is no need for rehearsals. And how can You show Your you tube videos and make people love them without showing Yourself live  ?

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I do not see a musician future kind in this way.

38 minutes ago, TimR said:

Steve Lawson plays gigs...

That wasn't my point and I think you know that ;) .

Some folk are happy to just play along to tunes at home, record, loop, whatever. This person is not me, I like to gig, some of the ancillary stuff is a PITA but, ultimately, worth it. Other folk find differently.

I hate not gigging. I have absolutely zero interest in recording, whether solo or with others, the only thing that lights my fire is playing live to an audience. I especially like gigging with material that has room for improvisation. I enjoy the fact that the  band and the audience know we are never more than a few seconds away from a complete train wreck, but still somehow stay on the tracks. The guitarist in my main gigging band will shoot me a certain look when he is about go way off piste - it's a kind of challenge he likes to lay down, and I enjoy following him into the unknown.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No it isn't. Beethoven never gigged his songs, but he was clearly a musician, Kate bush didn't gig for 35 years.  Many musicians have never been on stage or had any desire to be.

In his 20s, Beethoven had a reputation as a vituoso pianist.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh, sorry. I thought the subject was 'musicians'. -_-

:lol: :P

Seems to be mainly bass players who feel they're not being musical if they're not playing music they like, or are playing music that's too easy for them. 

Seems to me that's being quite pompous.

My point still stands, we can't all do something interesting all the time. That's life. If everything we did was fun and interesting there would be nothing to compare fun and interesting against and everything would just become one level.

It's all about differences, light and shade, fast and slow, long and short, simple and complex. Especially in music.