Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

In terms of PA, there's a big difference to playing a pub or small club vs a dedicated music venue or theatre, or festival. 

I'm not sure anyone can generalise what other people should do, based on what they do, without taking into consideration the type of venue and band that they're in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimR said:

In terms of PA, there's a big difference to playing a pub or small club vs a dedicated music venue or theatre, or festival. 

I'm not sure anyone can generalise what other people should do, based on what they do, without taking into consideration the type of venue and band that they're in.

Yeah we were guilty of using our expensive, powerful Electrovoice p.a. for every venue. It was total over kill sometimes. We would justify it by saying we need a balanced sound. I've heard lovely balanced sound coming from bands who have just had a little vocal p.a.

When I think back we were just using it because we had it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peteb said:

No, don't think that pubs in bigger towns will usually have an in-house PA system or anything like that, as they generally do not. I'm playing the tribute circuit at the moment (mainly clubs), where it is expected that a PA will be provided on every gig that we do. How good that PA will be is another matter... 

Hi Pete,

The few upscale venues we play provide state of the art sound and lights. However, we bring our own sound and lights to most gigs. Our band leader's husband sets up and has ran sound and lights for us  for over ten years.

Sound is a good investment for local gigging bands in my opinion.

Blue

9 hours ago, ubit said:

I can honestly say we have never played in a place with a house P.A. We have always had to lug our own gear about.

And in the last 20 years I can pretty much count the number of places I've played that didn't have an in-house PA on the fingers of one hand, and all of those were "venues" that didn't normally put on live music.

I've been very lucky to experience both ends of the spectrum. From starting out at 17 in 1987, lugging around big old bass rigs, driving the length and breadth of the country to gig, to having roadies, tour managers, drivers, A&R men and even a chef and makeup artist to do literally everything for me. I've done thousands of gigs over the 35 years of playing, from the nastiest, smallest, crapiest pubs known to man, to the weird and wonderful like bowling alleys, a barbers, a steam train and a passenger simulator plane, to stadiums, music halls, festivals, theatres and Radio 1 roadshows. I've loved every minute of it and being in a band, with mates, sharing the highs and lows and being in a musical gang is the best thing in the world. It's not easy, far from easy but with the right attitude of all in it together and a healthy work ethic of everyone pulling their weight then it's the best thing in the world.

However, now I'm in my early fifties, the shine is starting to come off a little. Pre-Covid, I was playing over 100 gigs a year, playing 50's Rock 'n' Roll in working mens clubs, festivals and some pubs and despite the money being good and in most cases, an audience expecting us, the lugging of gear, setting up, dressing up, performing, packing away and getting home in the early hours did get tiring. I loved it but the longer it went on, the more I was finding I was wishing I wasn't out gigging that night and was staying at home relaxing and watching a film.

For the last year I've been playing in an acoustic 3 piece playing a mix of originals and covers and only doing a couple of local gigs a month in pubs or music venues. It's been really refreshing and enjoyable and very musically creative but I do still get moments when I wish I was not going out gigging but then I end up really enjoying the gig and glad I did have the opportunity to go out and play.

One thing that has really helped is slimming my gear down and making it efficient to carry. I have a Barefaced Two10 which is super light and can be carried with one hand. I have my pedal bag that can go over my shoulder, a flight case with leads and stands, a bag with my amp and back up amp and then my two basses. So I can do everything in 3 trips, even 2 if I wanted and it's all lightweight. If has made such a difference.

Saying all of that, I have played for 35 years and in 3 years I'll be 55 and I've kind of pencilled in that this might be a good age to call it quits. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to want to play in pubs, lug gear about, get home late in the hope that it was an amazing gig when the reality was a disinterested audience who just wanted to hear Wonderwall or Sex on Fire. I feel it's more of a young mans game these days and I'm quickly leaving that demographic. Family commitments are also increasing with my daughter getting heavily involved in motorsport and I feel like there are other thing to see and do in life, for example road trips around the Swiss and Austrian mountain passes in an old sportscar. 

Either way, people should enjoy what they do, be it gigging, home recording, studio work, streaming etc. I'm of the generation that gigging is what you did so it's all I know so I have no regrets but whatever you do to express yourself and be creative, if you enjoy it then keep on doing it. Life is too short at the end of the day.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, ubit said:

Yeah we were guilty of using our expensive, powerful Electrovoice p.a. for every venue. It was total over kill sometimes. We would justify it by saying we need a balanced sound. I've heard lovely balanced sound coming from bands who have just had a little vocal p.a.

When I think back we were just using it because we had it.

Had a well paid residency  for nearly a decade, in a venue that just had a pretty basic vocal PA. Regular punters often commented that they were fed up of having their heads blown off by powerful PA rigs used by other bands, in venues around town. The PA, or lack there of, kept us in the game for a long time.

• Like 1

It was a case of mic up every drum, bass and guitars all through the p.a. Even turned down we were loud. To be fair when the pub is rammed with noisy punters you need to be a bit loud otherwise you are as well not being there.

The bands I saw with a lovely balanced sound and a small vocal p.a. usually got lost later when it got busier and rowdier.

It’s the nerves that get me. Stupid, because I’ve only ever played small venues to small groups of people who were there to see someone else. But walking onto the (tiny) stage always sends my pulse racing (not in a good way) and I’m convinced I’m going to make a mistake that everyone will remember. Feels good afterwards, but so does walking on hot coals (I’m told). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

It’s the nerves that get me. Stupid, because I’ve only ever played small venues to small groups of people who were there to see someone else. But walking onto the (tiny) stage always sends my pulse racing (not in a good way) and I’m convinced I’m going to make a mistake that everyone will remember. Feels good afterwards, but so does walking on hot coals (I’m told). 

I've made some spectacular mistakes, and @Silvia Bluejay has the videos to prove it! 🤣

But you know what, the world didn't stop turning. And apart from some well deserved ribbing from the band, no-one cares or remembers.

As Beethoven said:

To play a wrong note is insignificant.

But to play without passion is inexcusable!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

Here's some advice on avoiding car crashes.

Don't do an open mike playing a song on guitar you haven't played on guitar before, singing words you can't remember from a phone screen you can't read, accompanied by a bassist you've never played with before, when you are half cut.

No, no, I would never do this...

• Haha 5

Don't ever rely on idiot sheets for lyrics. Learn the lyrics. I had an episode once when we were playing a dance and a drunken idiot thought it would be funny to steal my book of lyrics and refuse to give it back. I was all for kicking seven bells out of him as the bouncers didn't seem to care but I was talked out of it. Eventually it was returned after being dropped and all the sheets falling out. I had them in order of our set.

I used to always learn lyrics but for some reason latterly I didn't have time. Lesson learned.

I, weirdly, still read wanted adverts. I must say they've changed over the years.

Wanted, sax or bongo player. Really?  Not much difference there is there?

6th member wanted for "Gypsy punk band" what's that? and what instrument?

Then, I see something for a bass player, any age or gender, bit of Americana, a few pop and rock numbers from the 60s up to the 2000s. Must be easy going and have a sense of humour.

Sounds perfect until they ruin it all with "Looking to gig two or three times a month"

Bugger, they sounded great up until the playing live bit. I just can't be  bothered any more. Not even sure why I've still got my bass gear.

Might even leave BC if I found a "Can't be arsed chat"😂

• Haha 3

On 14/04/2022 at 21:48, Linus27 said:

I've been very lucky to experience both ends of the spectrum. From starting out at 17 in 1987, lugging around big old bass rigs, driving the length and breadth of the country to gig, to having roadies, tour managers, drivers, A&R men and even a chef and makeup artist to do literally everything for me. I've done thousands of gigs over the 35 years of playing, from the nastiest, smallest, crapiest pubs known to man, to the weird and wonderful like bowling alleys, a barbers, a steam train and a passenger simulator plane, to stadiums, music halls, festivals, theatres and Radio 1 roadshows. I've loved every minute of it and being in a band, with mates, sharing the highs and lows and being in a musical gang is the best thing in the world. It's not easy, far from easy but with the right attitude of all in it together and a healthy work ethic of everyone pulling their weight then it's the best thing in the world.

However, now I'm in my early fifties, the shine is starting to come off a little. Pre-Covid, I was playing over 100 gigs a year, playing 50's Rock 'n' Roll in working mens clubs, festivals and some pubs and despite the money being good and in most cases, an audience expecting us, the lugging of gear, setting up, dressing up, performing, packing away and getting home in the early hours did get tiring. I loved it but the longer it went on, the more I was finding I was wishing I wasn't out gigging that night and was staying at home relaxing and watching a film.

For the last year I've been playing in an acoustic 3 piece playing a mix of originals and covers and only doing a couple of local gigs a month in pubs or music venues. It's been really refreshing and enjoyable and very musically creative but I do still get moments when I wish I was not going out gigging but then I end up really enjoying the gig and glad I did have the opportunity to go out and play.

One thing that has really helped is slimming my gear down and making it efficient to carry. I have a Barefaced Two10 which is super light and can be carried with one hand. I have my pedal bag that can go over my shoulder, a flight case with leads and stands, a bag with my amp and back up amp and then my two basses. So I can do everything in 3 trips, even 2 if I wanted and it's all lightweight. If has made such a difference.

Saying all of that, I have played for 35 years and in 3 years I'll be 55 and I've kind of pencilled in that this might be a good age to call it quits. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to want to play in pubs, lug gear about, get home late in the hope that it was an amazing gig when the reality was a disinterested audience who just wanted to hear Wonderwall or Sex on Fire. I feel it's more of a young mans game these days and I'm quickly leaving that demographic. Family commitments are also increasing with my daughter getting heavily involved in motorsport and I feel like there are other thing to see and do in life, for example road trips around the Swiss and Austrian mountain passes in an old sportscar. 

Either way, people should enjoy what they do, be it gigging, home recording, studio work, streaming etc. I'm of the generation that gigging is what you did so it's all I know so I have no regrets but whatever you do to express yourself and be creative, if you enjoy it then keep on doing it. Life is too short at the end of the day.

Just give them what they want and do Sex on Fire (the song, that is, don't  set fire to yourself and have sex for their entertainment).  It's reasonable fun to play on bass, so why not?

I tell you what boils my pith about gigging. Not so much the gigging itself, which I enjoy, but some members of the bands approach to it. A set list should be set in stone for some weeks on the lead up to a gig. Our guitarists are big ones for throwing in a new song with 3 days to do. "It's easy", they say. It may be for them, because as a guitarist also myself I know 3 or 4 chords on a guitar is a lot easier to learn than hundreds  of notes, double stops, and the odd chord all done in a particular order. "Just play the root", they say to that - no, I play bass properly or I don't play at all.  It's narking me off a little, and I've stuck with it as theyre all otherwise nice guys and pleasant to hang around with,  but I'm well known on the local circuit and there are more bands/projects than their are bassists so Im not hostage to them if they don't start acting a bit more professionally with their planning.

Edited by Bassfinger

On 14/07/2019 at 10:27, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't be the only one, can I?

Don't get me wrong, I love being in a band, hanging around with my mates making music, that's where the pleasure comes from for me. I know public performance is the pinnacle of being in a band for most people, but I'm just not feeling it. The way I feel at the minute, I honestly wouldn't care if I never played in public again

Lugging gear around, trying to fit it all in the car. Spending the best part of an hour at the other end unloading it and setting everything up. Standing round like a spare part waiting to go on, then performing to a load of annoying, well lubricated people, who, in many cases aren't even interested. Only to have to break everything back down while the audience who haven't shown a bit of interest all night, start demanding "more". Then lug everything around back into the car, drive home, lug it around again into the house and finally get to relax about 3 hours after the people you've been "entertaining" have gone to bed. 

The only part I actually enjoy is if we get time for a couple of cheeky pints after the gig.

Why do I do it? 

I can't believe what are You saying. It's musicians hole life. Yes, sometimes it's not easy and boring, but think about that 1 hour You will feel being on stage, every second, minute. There will always be someone liking/disliking Your music, but believe me - it IS worth it. Don't let yourself be lockdowned only because of the gear transporting problem. I actually like better playing every time with my own gig and have it complected the way i don't have problems to carry or put it in to the car. It all starts here !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Just give them what they want and do Sex on Fire (the song, that is, don't  set fire to yourself and have sex for their entertainment).  It's reasonable fun to play on bass, so why not?

I would dispute that. We play Sex on Fire and I find no enjoyment playing it. it isn't a fun song to play, it has no interesting parts to it, there are no technical challenges with it, and it doesn't really groove.

I carry on playing it because the others want to and the audience like it for whatever reason, just one of those songs you have to get through to get to more interesting ones.

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Our guitarists are big ones for throwing in a new song with 3 days to do. "It's easy", they say. It may be for them, because as a guitarist also myself I know 3 or 4 chords on a guitar is a lot easier to learn than hundreds  of notes, double stops, and the odd chord all done in a particular order. "Just play the root", they say to that - no, I play bass properly or I don't play at all.

We won't play anything we haven't practiced, not even an easy one as it will mess up live. OK, the song is easy but the 'well I listened to the youtube version, oh I listened to the album version with another verse and a longer ending' etc.

We had to do the dreary 'run' by snow patrol. Sent a link round, didn't get time for a practice as people were off ill, busy working etc. But so trivial figured it was ok to do without a practice. Sent the link out to the song. Got to play it live, the guitarist didn't go into the verse in the right place and stopped a verse early looking confused. He hadn't followed the link, he had just typed it into youtube and got the radio edit.

Luckily everyone was so bored by that point they didn't really notice, but still.

3 hours ago, nilorius said:

I can't believe what are You saying. It's musicians hole life. Yes, sometimes it's not easy and boring, but think about that 1 hour You will feel being on stage, every second, minute.

No it isn't. Beethoven never gigged his songs, but he was clearly a musician, Kate bush didn't gig for 35 years.  Many musicians have never been on stage or had any desire to be.

We have our own likes / dislikes

I have created a Spotify playlist. We use those songs as the reference songs and only those songs. 

However, it didn't seem to prevent the argument: "that version isn't the original one that everyone knows that's on YouTube that I already learned". Even though it was executed the same note for note. 🤦‍♂️ 

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would dispute that. We play Sex on Fire and I find no enjoyment playing it. it isn't a fun song to play, it has no interesting parts to it, there are no technical challenges with it, and it doesn't really groove.

I carry on playing it because the others want to and the audience like it for whatever reason, just one of those songs you have to get through to get to more interesting ones.

We won't play anything we haven't practiced, not even an easy one as it will mess up live. OK, the song is easy but the 'well I listened to the youtube version, oh I listened to the album version with another verse and a longer ending' etc.

We had to do the dreary 'run' by snow patrol. Sent a link round, didn't get time for a practice as people were off ill, busy working etc. But so trivial figured it was ok to do without a practice. Sent the link out to the song. Got to play it live, the guitarist didn't go into the verse in the right place and stopped a verse early looking confused. He hadn't followed the link, he had just typed it into youtube and got the radio edit.

Luckily everyone was so bored by that point they didn't really notice, but still.

No it isn't. Beethoven never gigged his songs, but he was clearly a musician, Kate bush didn't gig for 35 years.  Many musicians have never been on stage or had any desire to be.

We have our own likes / dislikes

How can You even compare Beethoven with primitive rock band.