Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

I started this thread almost three years ago. It was mainly down to the fact that I hate performing in public. I find putting myself out there and standing on a stage in front of people absolutely terrifying.

I just saw this posted on social media, and now I just want to give myself a slap! Kind of puts things in perspective. Especially as I live only about 300 miles away from the Ukrainian border, in one of the countries that could easily be the next on Vlad's list. 

I'm not a great musician by any means, but I'm pretty sure I'd be an even worse soldier. 

There but for the grace of God go I. 

Kind of puts things in perspective. 

https://fb.watch/bZSgysG536/

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

I was thinking there could be a good opportunity for that, but realised I don't actually know that many covers! 🤣

Careful what you say.... someone will be along to tell you that you should be able to learn any song in one listen through.....

• Haha 7

Love playing, nearly all of my best mates are in bands or associated jobs, love the ‘we’re all in it together’ vibe in most bands.

Love perving on the latest gear, and occasionally making enough from gigging to actually buy something. Love this forum.

Wages have been more or less stagnant around here since the millennium. Landlords seem to think that, if we’re enjoying what we’re doing, we should do it for free for some reason. After all, it’s not proper work, is it?

Hate British attitudes to musicians, so much better almost anywhere else. Fed up with sharing a dressing toilet.

Audiences as well as promoters/landlords can be utter c*nts, and if you tell me there are no bad audiences, only poor performers, I have some venues in Littlehampton and Portsmouth to show you.

Mind you, the older I get, the better I was.

• Like 7

I'd love to have te chance to hate gigs. I'm currently bandless and can't find any local bands recruiting a bass player except teenage pop punk bands, I could really hate gigging with them straight away but I'd rather a nice grunge or metal band to gradually build a healthy dislike for gigging. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd love to have te chance to hate gigs. I'm currently bandless and can't find any local bands recruiting a bass player except teenage pop punk bands, I could really hate gigging with them straight away but I'd rather a nice grunge or metal band to gradually build a healthy dislike for gigging. 

I too would love to hate gigging as my job means I can’t even plan rehearsals never mind gigs. 
it’s a great shame when music is my life. I love listening to it. I love playing it and I love having loads of lovely guitars. I hate the thought of selling  them off. 

• Like 1

Hate gigs? No way!

Last week I played 5 gigs in 6 days. That was 10 hours of playing in 5 different bands. By the end I was shattered, but loved every second.

Somewhere along the line I finally caught Covid. I'm surprised it took this long. It's a very mild case, but I still had to cancel 2 gigs and a rehearsal this week. Making those phone calls hurt way more than Covid!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I look at it differently than some of you. At 68 and pensioned I love gigging. I'm not a fan of long hour late night bar gigs and driving home at 2:30 in the morning and we don't play those type of gigs anymore. 

We tapped into the lucrative upscale Brewery and Winery market with our acoustic offering.  Great afternoon hours, I'm usually home by 8:00. Classy patrons as well.

I kind of fell butt backwards into this type of work.

Blue

FB_IMG_1648588079946~2.jpg

• Like 6

^^^

If I were retired, I'd be doing that, too.

Alas that my work schedule is incompatible with any such activity (another reason that I hate gigging- and work, too)

I've been working working for nearly 34 years,  and retirement still seems an aeon away. Not wishing to be unduly grim, but Death in Service is looking quite likely. That or medical severance on ill health grounds (I'm fine at the moment!)

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

^^^

If I were retired, I'd be doing that, too.

Alas that my work schedule is incompatible with any such activity (another reason that I hate gigging- and work, too)

I've been working working for nearly 34 years,  and retirement still seems an aeon away. Not wishing to be unduly grim, but Death in Service is looking quite likely. That or medical severance on ill health grounds (I'm fine at the moment!)

I know it's scary. I'm retired , however I'm not retired well. I'm ok now but if the gigs dry up it could get tough.

Blue

Get a light bass, like a steinberger, an Aguilar Tone Hammer and just plug into the house mix and use their stage monitors. That may help with the bummer of the gear and you'll a lot more time for pints 😁🍻

1 minute ago, trim said:

Get a light bass, like a steinberger, an Aguilar Tone Hammer and just plug into the house mix and use their stage monitors. That may help with the bummer of the gear and you'll a lot more time for pints 😁🍻

None of the places I play, and very few places I'm every likely to play have house mix or monitors. It's all old school bring your own gear here. And as I'm married to the singer, I have no choice but to lug around a P.A, whether I like it or not. 

57 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

None of the places I play, and very few places I'm every likely to play have house mix or monitors. It's all old school bring your own gear here. And as I'm married to the singer, I have no choice but to lug around a P.A, whether I like it or not. 

😕😬

Sorry.. You'r done 💥

50 minutes ago, ubit said:

I can honestly say we have never played in a place with a house P.A. We have always had to lug our own gear about.

Every gig that I do these days has an in-house PA. Some are good, some bad and some indifferent. Similarly the engineer who's running the PA - some good, some sort of OK and some crap. 

I take a bass rig to every gig - there's no way I would rely on a random PA in some club...! 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Every gig that I do these days has an in-house PA. Some are good, some bad and some indifferent. Similarly the engineer who's running the PA - some good, some sort of OK and some crap. 

Perhaps in cities or larger towns this is more prevalent but certainly up here in the sticks no venue has an included  p.a. system. They may have sound systems but these couldn't handle a band.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubit said:

Perhaps in cities or larger towns this is more prevalent but certainly up here in the sticks no venue has an included  p.a. system. They may have sound systems but these couldn't handle a band.

No, don't think that pubs in bigger towns will usually have an in-house PA system or anything like that, as they generally do not. I'm playing the tribute circuit at the moment (mainly clubs), where it is expected that a PA will be provided on every gig that we do. How good that PA will be is another matter... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubit said:

There aren't any near us with any either that we play. The few times that there has been a sound system, it isn't something you would have wanted to go through anyway

• Like 2

I don't gig anymore and I enjoy playing music much more now because of this. Home recording and jams with friends is all I need to get my fix.

Gigging cost me more money than I earned from it, taking into consideration outlays vs income.

I don't miss having to deal with unreliable people at every hurdle just to play to drunk people (I don't drink).

Each to their own of course!

• Like 2