Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Do you think you might feel differently if you were adequately paid?

This was a contributing factor in my decision to stop. I was only ever interested in being a weekend warrior, playing rock in pubs and clubs in my area, so making serious money was not on the agenda. For 10 years we confined our playing, for the most part, to our Satuday night residency. For a pub gig it paid well, we got to play classic rock, which is the genre I gravitate towards and the audience was very receptive.

Once the residency wound up, we were approached by a number of venues and got to try out. I could not believe how little they were paying and crying the poor mouth when this was queried. I was making the same money 25 years ago playing pubs in the area, when it was early closing (11:30pm) and all the gigs nowadays finish up at at 1:30am. I packed it in, as the only other option open was the wedding band scene, which I managed to avoid throughout my years of playing. Funny thing is I thought I would miss it, but not in the least. If that residency was on offer again I would pass on it.

Forgot to mention that I picked up a bass last weekend for the first time in over a year. I was shocked at how challenging it was to play. Beware those who pack it in, only to decide to pick it back up after a lengthy lay off. It is not like riding a bike. In my case I reckon it would take a couole of months solid practice to get back to being 'match fit' but I am not interested

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Having thought about this some more, and taken on board what Bluewine said about "choosing the wrong band". As part of the same thought process, I do wonder if I'd enjoy gigging more if we were doing original material?  As I said earlier, hanging around with my mates and making music is where the enjoyable part of being in a band sits for me. I like the creative part of it. Churning out cover versions has always felt a bit like serving up junk food to me. Yeah people will take it, and they'll probably enjoy it, but where's the satisfaction? (I'm not in any way having a dig at covers bands. Just expressing a personal view about where my own creativity lies) 

I must admit, I feel 'resigned to playing covers now. In some ways it's good - unlike back in 1987 when I could just play anything that was vaguely in key as long as I got the 'signature riff' right, there's no excuse not to learn songs properly - or at least try! This I am finding rewarding because I like being stretched and I am a big believer that you are never too old to learn.

On the other hand, having a crowd cheer songs that you were part of writing and actually call for encores at the end is a real buzz.

I will be honest though, playing own material is, 99% of the time, easier because no matter how technical it gets and how hard you push yourself you always really know the material, always know your technique is up to it, you can improvise if you want and most importantly no-one (outside the band) can tell you you played it wrong!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I will be honest though, playing own material is, 99% of the time, easier because no matter how technical it gets and how hard you push yourself you always really know the material, always know your technique is up to it, you can improvise if you want and most importantly no-one (outside the band) can tell you you played it wrong!

I'm not sure about that. I never write in terms of things I can already play, I write and then have to learn how to play what I've written, both in terms of songs and parts. Sometimes the parts (and occasionally songs) can be very challenging in some form or other. It's no different to learning other people's material in that sense. And if I play it wrong, I'll be there to beat myself up about it.  😉

I have to second what NewFoundFreedom says about playing covers/original material. The most fun is in the creative process for me. Although it's possible that I could do covers as well as playing original material (although preferably in separate bands), if I just had to play covers and had no outlet for original music I'd probably give up playing altogether and go back to painting. I  just don't enjoy doing that enough. Thankfully we seem to have enough of an audience that it's something I don't need to consider at this point in time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't think anyone hates gigging. I think there are some people who's life circumstances prevents them from gigging and I think ther are things that people don't like that are simply a part of being in a any band. And we all have to play gigs that are not great.

I contend most dont do their homework and join the wrong band. My band is in business so yes, if theres business politics come into play. I'm good at playing politics.

Blue

That's a bit like saying I don't think anybody hates cheeseburgers. Or broccoli. Or cricket. or football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just spent about half an hour reading this thread from the beginning. Plenty of good points. I don't understand why anyone would be gigging if they don't enjoy it, unless it is an important source of income to them.

I've done my time in pub bands, schlepping my gear in and out, through bars with pushed up punters, who ignore you, chasing up the manager to get paid, etc. I still did it because I enjoyed the moments when everything gelled, and I am never as focused as when I am performing. I don't dance about, barely move most of the time, certainly avoid taking solos, but enjoy being part of a good band in full flight.

Start of last year, I joined a tribute band, and after a few months of that had quit my pub bands to concentrate on that. Fewer gigs, for a bit more money, but the main difference is that we play venues, not the corner of a pub. We're not interfering with anyone's evening in their local, people pay to come and see us. There's a fair sized core of the audience who do their best to see us wherever we are, so we are basically providing a mobile party, with the band as the focus. Being in that sort scene is a world away from being stuck in the corner of a pub for a bunch of people who'd rather you weren't there. The audience is loyal and we are 'their' band. If we weren't playing, we'd probably be in the audience, we are all the same type pf people, we just channel the music for them - they provide the energy and inspiration, we just try to do that justice. 

Over Friday and Saturday, I drove abut 440 miles to play two gigs, in very different type of venues in the west country.  Today I am totally exhausted and have barely moved since I got up, but it was worth every minute of it, even catching a bit of extra sleep in a lay-by near Bristol before last night's gig. Tiredness is forgotten as soon as the audience starts pouring in. 

If (when) I have to give that up, I can't see any good reason to keep my equipment. I do play at home, but purely the music that we are, or will, gigging. Without live gigs to look forward to, I'd give up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't think anyone hates gigging. I think there are some people who's life circumstances prevents them from gigging and I think ther are things that people don't like that are simply a part of being in a any band. And we all have to play gigs that are not great.

I contend most dont do their homework and join the wrong band. My band is in business so yes, if theres business politics come into play. I'm good at playing politics.

Blue

I see what you mean, Blue, and think there’s def something to think about there, is it the gigs themselves or something deeper routes. After all, if musicians don’t like gigging why join a gigging band? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

From my observations, Money is the main reason. 

Not for me it ain’t.

Every band I have been in including every member of them were not in it for the money, enjoyment in playing was the main factor.

Hate is a very strong word as stated in the thread title, if you hate gigging, simply don’t do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

From my observations, Money is the main reason. 

Money is nice, but I usually just want to cover my expenses. reward of gigging for me is the mix of band and audience  energy that creates something unique.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Not for me it ain’t.

Every band I have been in including every member of them were not in it for the money, enjoyment in playing was the main factor.

Hate is a very strong word as stated in the thread title, if you hate gigging, simply don’t do it.

35 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Money is nice, but I usually just want to cover my expenses. reward of gigging for me is the mix of band and audience  energy that creates something unique.

Read the The question: "After all, if musicians don’t like gigging why join a gigging band? '. Ye guys obviously enjoy gigging and feel a sense of musical accomplishment, reward etc. and fair play, but the question does not refer to people who enjoy the experience.

There are players out there who are in it  for the money. Some of them are very good musicians, much better than I. Covering expenses is of little consequence as they may well gig for a living. Morgages to be paid, families to be reared etc. I know a few and they certainly dislike it from a musical perspective, but it pays the bills and that is their primary concern. 

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Read the The question: "After all, if musicians don’t like gigging why join a gigging band? '. Ye guys obviously enjoy gigging and feel a sense of musical accomplishment, reward etc. and fair play, but the question does not refer to people who enjoy the experience.

There are players out there who are in it  for the money. Some of them are very good musicians, much better than I. Covering expenses is of little consequence as they may well gig for a living. Morgages to be paid, families to be reared etc. I know a few and they certainly dislike it from a musical perspective, but it pays the bills and that is their primary concern. 

With respect, the discussion has moved on from the original question, that's the way conversations evolve.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

With respect, the discussion has moved on from the original question, that's the way conversations evolve.

With respect I am reflecting  on the original question that the OP put out there.  His realisation that he hates gigging. That's primary in my view and allowed, regardless of how debates evolve.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

You make assumptions but you don't know people. Maybe someone doesn't like to talk/perform/do anything in public because is and introvert and feels discomfort in this kind of situation. Maybe someone enjoys a lot the creative process but has no desire/enjoyment in performing in front of people. I don't feel I'm extrovert enough to "entartain" anyone and I know I would look like a mummy on stage. And forcing myself to move/do anything I don't feel NATURAL to avoid being a mummy would male me feel stupid/awkard/ridiculous. People are different, not everyone loves to be in the spotlight. Gigging implies being in the spotlight and feeling comfortable and confident with that.

Edited by oZZma

For example I have bad memories about exams at university where we needed to talk and explain stuff in front of people and I always felt more inadequate and stupid than I was because when people are watching or listening to me I feel uncomfortable and can't even think normally.

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I have just spent about half an hour reading this thread from the beginning. Plenty of good points. I don't understand why anyone would be gigging if they don't enjoy it, unless it is an important source of income to them.

I've done my time in pub bands, schlepping my gear in and out, through bars with pushed up punters, who ignore you, chasing up the manager to get paid, etc. I still did it because I enjoyed the moments when everything gelled, and I am never as focused as when I am performing. I don't dance about, barely move most of the time, certainly avoid taking solos, but enjoy being part of a good band in full flight.

Start of last year, I joined a tribute band, and after a few months of that had quit my pub bands to concentrate on that. Fewer gigs, for a bit more money, but the main difference is that we play venues, not the corner of a pub. We're not interfering with anyone's evening in their local, people pay to come and see us. There's a fair sized core of the audience who do their best to see us wherever we are, so we are basically providing a mobile party, with the band as the focus. Being in that sort scene is a world away from being stuck in the corner of a pub for a bunch of people who'd rather you weren't there. The audience is loyal and we are 'their' band. If we weren't playing, we'd probably be in the audience, we are all the same type pf people, we just channel the music for them - they provide the energy and inspiration, we just try to do that justice. 

Over Friday and Saturday, I drove abut 440 miles to play two gigs, in very different type of venues in the west country.  Today I am totally exhausted and have barely moved since I got up, but it was worth every minute of it, even catching a bit of extra sleep in a lay-by near Bristol before last night's gig. Tiredness is forgotten as soon as the audience starts pouring in. 

If (when) I have to give that up, I can't see any good reason to keep my equipment. I do play at home, but purely the music that we are, or will, gigging. Without live gigs to look forward to, I'd give up.

Excellent commentary as usual.

Thanks Dave

Blue

20 hours ago, oZZma said:

You make assumptions but you don't know people. Maybe someone doesn't like to talk/perform/do anything in public because is and introvert and feels discomfort in this kind of situation. Maybe someone enjoys a lot the creative process but has no desire/enjoyment in performing in front of people. I don't feel I'm extrovert enough to "entartain" anyone and I know I would look like a mummy on stage. And forcing myself to move/do anything I don't feel NATURAL to avoid being a mummy would male me feel stupid/awkard/ridiculous. People are different, not everyone loves to be in the spotlight. Gigging implies being in the spotlight and feeling comfortable and confident with that.

I think all points you mentioned make my point.

There are life circumstances and personality traits that prevent one from gigging. Like being an introvert and uncomfortable playing in public.  That's understandable. However, to me that means life circumstance prevents one ftom gigging. It doesn't necessarily me one hates gigging.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

15 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I think all points you mentioned make my point.

There are life circumstances that prevent one from gigging. Like being an introvert and uncomfortable playing in public.  That's understandable. However, to me that means life circumstance prevents one ftom gigging. It doesn't necessarily me one hates gigging.

Blue

Why "life circumstances" and not "personality traits"? ;)

I've not read through all this thread, so it may have been covered already, but I'm pretty sure Stephen Wilson hates gigging.

At the end of Porcupine Tree and now under his solo outfit he keeps inflating the fee, hoping I suspect that promoters turn him down, and then sighing and taking the money when they say yes.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

I've not read through all this thread, so it may have been covered already, but I'm pretty sure Stephen Wilson hates gigging.

At the end of Porcupine Tree and now under his solo outfit he keeps inflating the fee, hoping I suspect that promoters turn him down, and then sighing and taking the money when they say yes.

Who does a what now?

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Who does a what now?

Ex Porcupine Tree frontman and now solo artist Stephen Wilson.

Quite well known, certainly around these parts.

I was suggesting that it seems like he doesn't like playing live, but then gets offered money he can't refuse.

I possibly didn't express that with perfect clarity as last night, but I'd have thought the gist was pretty clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Ex Porcupine Tree frontman and now solo artist Stephen Wilson.

Quite well known, certainly around these parts.

I was suggesting that it seems like he doesn't like playing live, but then gets offered money he can't refuse.

I possibly didn't express that with perfect clarity as last night, but I'd have thought the gist was pretty clear.

My apologies. In the cold light of day it makes perfect sense. Last night, post gig and under the influence of several vodkas it was an unbreakable code. :laugh1:

• Haha 3