Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

13 hours ago, martin8708 said:

I have to admit that when the band phone up and say "we have a gig " a small feeling of dread comes over me .I work on the weekends ,so getting home at 1.00am on Sunday morning having to get up 5 hours later to cover a Sunday Clinic doesn't really float my boat .  Yes ,we get £30 ,but factor in fuel costs and a drink ( no free drinks ,) and your not exactly going to be much better off.

I think the audience has changed as well , as well as landlords attitudes to musicians , years ago there was a bit more appreciation and respect towards musicians .When you are playing to a room full of people who are more interested in watching Football on TV, I do sometimes question why we are doing the gig .

Yeah, I wouldn't be too thrilled by that either. The first issue (getting home late and having to work early next day) would be okay as an occasional thing, but not regularly. £30 sounds a bit poor as well - what sort of band are you in?

I've sometimes done the sort of gig where I've felt like we're an imposition - the audience would rather be watching the sports, and we're getting in the way of that. It can be disheartening. I like to view those gigs as a challenge though - see if you can be so charming and entertaining that they can't help but turn and look at you.

S.P.

• 4 weeks later...

Well that's that then. 

Final gig with the band this Sunday. 

Too many people pulling in different directions so I'm out before it starts to effect the friendships I have with the rest of the band. 

I made it clear from the start, before we even played a note that the band was very much a hobby, and I wasn't interested in, and don't have the time or inclination to  be out gigging every weekend. 12 gigs in 10 weeks, plus practices in-between was breaking point for me. I still have to earn a living in-between gigs while the rest of the band are financially independent. 

It's been fun for the most part, even a couple of the gigs were enjoyable in the end, but it's become obvious that some of the band want to do far more than I'm willing to commit to, and while they love gigging, I honestly don't think I ever will.

It's a shame really. Things were really starting to come together and we were sounding pretty good. Still, we raised a fair few quid for a local charity supporting children in care, so it's not all bad. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 7

On 22/08/2019 at 15:30, AndyTravis said:

Watched a recording of our gig on Sunday.

the guitarists girlfriend filmed snippets of each song, and it’s obvious how crippling the stage fright I have is.

loosen up about 2 songs in, actually danced.

We get videoed all the time and it really can be hideous watching yourself. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 4000 said:

We get videoed all the time and it really can be hideous watching yourself. 

During the descending line of Sunday Afternoon I made the mistake of dropping a bit with each note. Two octaves later I was in a most undignified position...

Entertaining thread... 

I love gigging. It’s the only reason I’m in a band. Everything else I can do without. If the band didn’t gig, I’d leave. And as I only play bass when gigging or rehearsing I’d probably not play bass either, other than for home recording. 

If the hassle ever starts to outweigh the joy, I’ll stop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

If the hassle ever starts to outweigh the joy, I’ll stop.

That's what my mindset had been all along. I gave it a fair crack, over a dozen gigs in 10 weeks, and rather than changing my mind, which I genuinely hoped would be the case, it actually just proved to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that for me, it's definitely not worth the hassle. 

Take our final gig tomorrow for example. Outdoor gig. 4 o'clock start in 35 degree heat, and that's after lugging all my gear, and all my wife's PA gear 200 yards across a field. Then having to lug it all back to the car again afterwards. 

I'd love to go out with a bang and enjoy the afternoon, playing with my mates for the final time (at least in the current configuration / band) but I'm absolutely dreading it. It's going to be a living hell playing in that heat. 

Edit

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. As with everything else we've done, It's an unpaid gig. I can kind of understand putting up with the downsides if you're making a living from it. Or at the very least covering costs. But when it's actually costing money to go out and gig? 

The rest of the band love gigging, so they're happy to do that. For me the pay off just isn't there. 

If you don’t enjoy it, and you don’t need to do it to make a living, then don’t do it. What’s the point? Everyone is different. I see people doing all sorts of hobbies I would never do, they probably wouldn’t want to do what I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

If you don’t enjoy it, and you don’t need to do it to make a living, then don’t do it. What’s the point? Everyone is different. I see people doing all sorts of hobbies I would never do, they probably wouldn’t want to do what I do.

Yeah I agree. 

The thing is, I love to play, and I love to hang around with my mates making music. That's very much where the enjoyable "hobby" side of things sits for me.

The problem is, the ultimate conclusion to this is to go out gigging. At least for most people who play instruments, and most people you're likely to form a band with. So it's kind of a catch 22.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I agree. 

The thing is, I love to play, and I love to hang around with my mates making music. That's very much where the enjoyable "hobby" side of things sits for me.

The problem is, the ultimate conclusion to this is to go out gigging. At least for most people who play instruments, and most people you're likely to form a band with. So it's kind of a catch 22.

See if you can join a 'hobby band' that just like to meet up to jam and have a beer? Maybe trickier where you currently are based to find like minded musos, but worth a try?

Personally I love gigging, but a hobby band is what the guitarist in one of my covers bands does for his other musical outlet. They also write and record stuff - so it's a different focus but one that they all really enjoy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

See if you can join a 'hobby band' that just like to meet up to jam and have a beer? Maybe trickier where you currently are based to find like minded musos, but worth a try?

Personally I love gigging, but a hobby band is what the guitarist in one of my covers bands does for his other musical outlet. They also write and record stuff - so it's a different focus but one that they all really enjoy. 

That's what this band was supposed to be, but it all got a bit out of hand 😂

Lucky 4 out of the 6 band members are still kind of on the same page, and enjoy the social, hanging out making music side of things. They're also the ones, like my wife (singer) and I, who have more of a creative steak and want to do their own music, rather than just churning out covers that people will dance to. So once the dust has settled we'll probably get something together more laid back and relaxed. Without the pressure from the other two constantly wanting to book the next gig. 

Also that would then make us a 4 piece, drums, bass, guitar and singer. Which will take away a lot of the "herding cats" situation we've had with a 6 piece. 

17 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I agree. 

I know a few bands locally then whenever you ask if they have any gigs coming up it’s always ‘soon’ or ‘yeah we’re looking’ and it’s the same when you see them two years later. Quite often they are looking for people as the ones who want a lot of gigs have left. If they aren’t a new start and if they have no gigs in the next three months then you may on to a relatively safe bet.

• Like 1

Recently, I left a good band as it was no longer working for me. It was a blessed relief, surprisingly. No more late nights/early mornings; humping gear;  awful gigs; lack of appreciation, generally, though there have been many nice comments for which I am humbly grateful and a few great gigs; Band politics (at my age you’d think they wouldn’t exist) etc.  Never say never, and I do miss playing with other musicians, but I am taking a break from live performance (and possibly retiring from gigs).  So, OP, you are not alone.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Witters said:

Recently, I left a good band as it was no longer working for me. It was a blessed relief, surprisingly. No more late nights/early mornings; humping gear;  awful gigs; lack of appreciation, generally, though there have been many nice comments for which I am humbly grateful and a few great gigs; Band politics (at my age you’d think they wouldn’t exist) etc.  Never say never, and I do miss playing with other musicians, but I am taking a break from live performance (and possibly retiring from gigs).  So, OP, you are not alone.

I don't think anyone hates gigging. I think there are some people who's life circumstances prevents them from gigging and I think ther are things that people don't like that are simply a part of being in a any band. And we all have to play gigs that are not great.

I contend most dont do their homework and join the wrong band. My band is in business so yes, if theres business politics come into play. I'm good at playing politics.

Blue

15 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. As with everything else we've done, It's an unpaid gig. I can kind of understand putting up with the downsides if you're making a living from it. Or at the very least covering costs. But when it's actually costing money to go out and gig? 

Yeh. I would never do that.

I mean, I love gigging, but if you are out entertaining people there has to be a payback for it, if nothing that just to say you are worth being there. I am happy to do the occasional charity gig, like a 1 in 20 or less, but only if I believe in it. I did one tonight in fact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't think anyone hates gigging.

Clearly there are going to be some people that do. I have met several musicians who hated gigging, a couple just had stage fright and hated ever second of it, and a couple who just like composing and writing music and recording, but had absolutely no interest of playing it in front of an audience. And also as expressed in here, ie, the purpose of this thread.

Sure some people might do it if they were being paid, but that doesn't mean they love it, same as your job before you retired, you did it but didn't love it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Lucky 4 out of the 6 band members are still kind of on the same page, and enjoy the social, hanging out making music side of things. They're also the ones, like my wife (singer) and I, who have more of a creative steak and want to do their own music, rather than just churning out covers that people will dance to. So once the dust has settled we'll probably get something together more laid back and relaxed. Without the pressure from the other two constantly wanting to book the next gig.

This sounds like a good outcome to me. You can still play as a band, you would have more time and space to develop your own work, and you would still be able to play live -- in your own time, and on your terms -- if and when you have the urge.

The schedule and conditions you mentioned in your posts sound like an ordeal rather than pleasure. Nonetheless, if the problem is that the band's success outstripped your aspirations for it, I can only say, "Good for you."

Whatever the future holds, I hope the final gig was much better (and cooler) than you feared.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Do you think you might feel differently if you were adequately paid?

That's a very interesting perspective. Then it would becomes a job I don't particularly enjoy, pretty much the same as every job I've ever had. But it would certainly beat working 12 hour night shifts in a factory. So in that respect there would probably be a mental shift to it being not a bad way to earn a living. But the actual standing on stage in front of people and playing? Maybe if I was doing it "as a job" several nights a week I'd get used to it. It's surprising what you can get used to when you need the money. But would I actually learn to "enjoy" it? It's difficult to answer that as a metaphorical question. I honestly don't know. 

Edit

Having thought about this some more, and taken on board what Bluewine said about "choosing the wrong band". As part of the same thought process, I do wonder if I'd enjoy gigging more if we were doing original material?  As I said earlier, hanging around with my mates and making music is where the enjoyable part of being in a band sits for me. I like the creative part of it. Churning out cover versions has always felt a bit like serving up junk food to me. Yeah people will take it, and they'll probably enjoy it, but where's the satisfaction? (I'm not in any way having a dig at covers bands. Just expressing a personal view about where my own creativity lies) 

So maybe a change of direction is the way to go? Which is probably something I've been telling myself all along, but in the spirit of "compromise" I've just kept going with something I didn't particularly derive a great deal of satisfaction from. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to find out. 😋

• Like 2