Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I haven’t enjoyed gigging for a while - well, I haven’t gigged in a while...

But, prior to the Hiatus (while we got used to our youngest Daughter and her level of need - a very bleak prognosis has actually ended up much better than hoped; odd heart attack inducing trips to hospital every now and then) I hadn’t enjoyed the covers/function/wedding gigs I had done.

So, on the 18th of August, the new band has a gig. All songs are from ideas I provided to the singer (I’d been in a Motown band with this guy until i “quit” music).

It’s all really bass heavy, really funky...and after a second studio session yesterday, I’m kicking myself for writing such mad baselines. I now have “i’ll F*ck this gig up” in my head...

A weird mental block to have as I’ve played big festivals, big venues all over the show in the past...I suppose it’s because it’s heart on sleeve time - and it’s all so oriented on the bass...

Take the pressure off and offer to do full lead vocals too, piece of pizz....

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Andy, just from seeing your posts on here, and the knowledge you possess, I can absolutely guarantee you won't fck it up. 

But I think you have hit the nail on the head with regards to a lack of belief in yourself. I think maybe that's my problem too. Even though logically you know you can do it. 

Thanks mate - I think if I’m honest, the last time I did a gig where the bass “took the lead”, the singer I had with me made a fuss over everything I did....

”and on the bass...Mr Andy Travis!!!”

“Check out that bass line!!!”

”watch out for the bass on this”

She did the same for anything the Guitarist did too - we would of sacked her, but it was his Mrs.

It was really cringeworthy - put me right off being showy.

Now I’ve landed myself right in the middle of Blood Sugar Sex Magic territory type bass parts...totally unfashionable, but Was solely doing it for a laugh. 

As you mentioned before - since the new drummer has come along, things have gathered pace and actually sounds really good - so it’s got more serious!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

No, luckily guitarist is a capable singer too so he does all backing vocals.

I just get to swag about with my pink Yamaha 😉

Please say that is not a euphemism or the new auto correct

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Thanks mate - I think if I’m honest, the last time I did a gig where the bass “took the lead”, the singer I had with me made a fuss over everything I did....

”and on the bass...Mr Andy Travis!!!”

“Check out that bass line!!!”

”watch out for the bass on this”

She did the same for anything the Guitarist did too - we would of sacked her, but it was his Mrs.

It was really cringeworthy - put me right off being showy.

Now I’ve landed myself right in the middle of Blood Sugar Sex Magic territory type bass parts...totally unfashionable, but Was solely doing it for a laugh. 

As you mentioned before - since the new drummer has come along, things have gathered pace and actually sounds really good - so it’s got more serious!

Saw Elvana at Download this year, and the singer made a point of saying how much the bass player would hate being singled out for attention, then got the whole crowd to shout "bass guy, bass guy" over and over. Bass player sheepishly looked up, then went back to staring at his shoes, clearly wishing for it all to stop

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Saw Elvana at Download this year, and the singer made a point of saying how much the bass player would hate being singled out for attention, then got the whole crowd to shout "bass guy, bass guy" over and over. Bass player sheepishly looked up, then went back to staring at his shoes, clearly wishing for it all to stop

Good job he isn't Phil Campbell's bass-playing youngest son who has to put up with a ritual chant at every gig...

image.png.e4f2b01f7a7575390b3c0055647592f3.png

I've got a great balance.I turned down the chance to be bass no1 because of the amount of gigs ,I get about 30 of the 100 plus  a year and arrive fresh as a daisy .We go down well 90% of the time so its always pleasant enough.Get a chance to get my nice stuff out etc 

agree on the load in load out etc bit and a lot of the songs aren't my thing either 

not bothered about cheeky pints ,plenty other nights for drinking 

I've already gone wireless from the guitar into a class D head, and I've just decided to give DI'ing directly into the PA a go. So that'll be two cabs I don't have to hump around. Providing everything sounds OK at practice tomorrow. That should lighten the load considerably and hopefully make gigging a more pleasant experience. Just the bass, and amp head in a small laptop bag. Although as I'm married to the singer there's no way around having to hump the PA about. 

8 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've already gone wireless from the guitar into a class D head, and I've just decided to give DI'ing directly into the PA a go. So that'll be two cabs I don't have to hump around. Providing everything sounds OK at practice tomorrow. That should lighten the load considerably and hopefully make gigging a more pleasant experience. Just the bass, and amp head in a small laptop bag. Although as I'm married to the singer there's no way around having to hump the PA about. 

bloody singers!

• Haha 1

On a more practical level, if you're DIing anyway and want to save even more weight I can thoroughly recommend leaving the amp head at home and using an amp sim pedal like a Tech 21 VT Bass (my personal choice - a very nice Ampeg SVT impression). 

Unless the amp is actually colouring the sound, and you can't duplicate that with some sort of eq pedal, it's not really adding anything

1 minute ago, Monkey Steve said:

On a more practical level, if you're DIing anyway and want to save even more weight I can thoroughly recommend leaving the amp head at home and using an amp sim pedal like a Tech 21 VT Bass (my personal choice - a very nice Ampeg SVT impression). 

Unless the amp is actually colouring the sound, and you can't duplicate that with some sort of eq pedal, it's not really adding anything 

Yes the amp head gives me "my sound" as I run it post eq. But it's tiny, weighs next to nothing, and tucks away neatly under the PA stand. I had a whole pedal board but I don't use it at all now, it's just more gear I don't need to be lugging around. I'm aiming to keep things as simple as possible from now on. 

I have a love/hate relationship with gigging, probably due to my age (67)

With the party band, a 2 hour gig usually means I'm out of the house for anything up to 12 hours. They insist on taking ridiculous amounts of P.A. equipment and lights which I  am morally obliged to help set up and after we've finished playing? they want stay on, have a chat to everyone and have a few drinks before the take down. All I want to do is go home. 

I'm simply too tired for all this and, we get a lot of gigs.  Sometimes four in a row and I  just can't manage it.

The upside is that 95% of the time, we go down great, they scream for more and I  get handed anything from 150€ to 300€ to take home. I play with lovely band mates, one of which is the best front person I've ever worked with. Audiences are great here and we get fed and watered. I know it sounds like the pros outweigh the cons but with arthritis,  Carpal tunnel syndrome and now Trigger thumb, I'm really struggling to enjoy gigging.

• Sad 1

I have to admit that when the band phone up and say "we have a gig " a small feeling of dread comes over me .I work on the weekends ,so getting home at 1.00am on Sunday morning having to get up 5 hours later to cover a Sunday Clinic doesn't really float my boat .  Yes ,we get £30 ,but factor in fuel costs and a drink ( no free drinks ,) and your not exactly going to be much better off.

I think the audience has changed as well , as well as landlords attitudes to musicians , years ago there was a bit more appreciation and respect towards musicians .When you are playing to a room full of people who are more interested in watching Football on TV, I do sometimes question why we are doing the gig .

43 minutes ago, leschirons said:

I have a love/hate relationship with gigging, probably due to my age (67)

With the party band, a 2 hour gig usually means I'm out of the house for anything up to 12 hours. They insist on taking ridiculous amounts of P.A. equipment and lights which I  am morally obliged to help set up and after we've finished playing? they want stay on, have a chat to everyone and have a few drinks before the take down. All I want to do is go home. 

I'm simply too tired for all this and, we get a lot of gigs.  Sometimes four in a row and I  just can't manage it.

The upside is that 95% of the time, we go down great, they scream for more and I  get handed anything from 150€ to 300€ to take home. I play with lovely band mates, one of which is the best front person I've ever worked with. Audiences are great here and we get fed and watered. I know it sounds like the pros outweigh the cons but with arthritis,  Carpal tunnel syndrome and now Trigger thumb, I'm really struggling to enjoy gigging.

I'm 65, off topic. I have friends my age that will say, " She approached you to talk and take a selfie and you didn't get her phone number?"

No, I didn't. I'm not 18 and I'm there to work not pick up women. I just want to go home.

Blue

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm 65, off topic. I have friends my age that will say, " She approached you to talk and take a selfie and you didn't get her phone number?"

No, I didn't. I'm not 18 and I'm there to work not pick up women. I just want to go home.

Blue

I'm married to the singer.

It's like taking a packed lunch to a buffet. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5