Why become a member? ×

I Hate Gigging!

I can't be the only one, can I?

Don't get me wrong, I love being in a band, hanging around with my mates making music, that's where the pleasure comes from for me. I know public performance is the pinnacle of being in a band for most people, but I'm just not feeling it. The way I feel at the minute, I honestly wouldn't care if I never played in public again

Lugging gear around, trying to fit it all in the car. Spending the best part of an hour at the other end unloading it and setting everything up. Standing round like a spare part waiting to go on, then performing to a load of annoying, well lubricated people, who, in many cases aren't even interested. Only to have to break everything back down while the audience who haven't shown a bit of interest all night, start demanding "more". Then lug everything around back into the car, drive home, lug it around again into the house and finally get to relax about 3 hours after the people you've been "entertaining" have gone to bed. 

The only part I actually enjoy is if we get time for a couple of cheeky pints after the gig.

Why do I do it? 

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

No you’re not the only one. I did it for a living and hated it. Great bands, lovely people, but I have no interest in “performing”.

I love playing, in particular with other musicians, but find gigging in the uk a major pita. 

Found my happy place now recording and writing with a variety of artists, often remotely. No more travelling, hanging around, getting on stage at silly o’clock, dressing up, getting home at ridiculous o’clock, being knackered the next day.

Having said all this, gigging in Europe is a very different experience for some reason. But then again you get well looked after, hotel near to venue, no driving, catching up on sleep in the bus and money is better. Still have to “perform” and dress up, and it’s only a couple of small tours a year. So bearable.

• Like 2

I get it, but I think it's probably just the wrong gigs. We have all played the shithole pubs that put on live bands and are full of knobheads shouting crap at you like "wonderwall!!!!!!!" All night. I've found in summer around my area there are loads of community events where they have live music all day, you get well looked after, pay is variable, but generally people are nice and respectful of you and your time. Often the backline is already there too which saves hassle. They also lead to private party bookings which again can be hit and miss but if you ask the right questions up front you can weed out the rubbish from the good ones. 

Keep plugging away and you'll get those amazing gigs that leave you and your bandmates with massive grins on your faces. You just have to put up with the odd gig with "wonderwall!!!" Being shouted at you between and during songs once in a while, it will always happen sadly. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 3

Definitely not alone. I reached that point about 6 years ago. Even the practicing became a chore so I chucked it all in. Wasn't a popular move among all my band and session compatriots but it had to be done. Now I make my own music and put it on YouTube and have another audience that aren't that interested 😄 Well there are nearly 300 people who are interested enough to have subscribed and that's great. Never looked back though.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BassBus said:

Definitely not alone. I reached that point about 6 years ago. Even the practicing became a chore so I chucked it all in. Wasn't a popular move among all my band and session compatriots but it had to be done. Now I make my own music and put it on YouTube and have another audience that aren't that interested 😄 Well there are nearly 300 people who are interested enough to have subscribed and that's great. Never looked back though.

That sounds suspiciously like a plug to me... 😂 

Hit us up with a link to your channel, you may up that subscriber count 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

No you’re not the only one. I did it for a living and hated it. Great bands, lovely people, but I have no interest in “performing”.

I love playing, in particular with other musicians, but find gigging in the uk a major pita. 

Found my happy place now recording and writing with a variety of artists, often remotely. No more travelling, hanging around, getting on stage at silly o’clock, dressing up, getting home at ridiculous o’clock, being knackered the next day.

Having said all this, gigging in Europe is a very different experience for some reason. But then again you get well looked after, hotel near to venue, no driving, catching up on sleep in the bus and money is better. Still have to “perform” and dress up, and it’s only a couple of small tours a year. So bearable.

I absolutely get that when it's something you've been doing for years, it's probably quite normal to become a bit jaded with it. 

But here's the weird thing. This is a new band and we've only just started gigging. We're maybe 6 gigs in (including one later today) and I hate it already. 

I haven't played in public (or much at all) since I was 16. I'm now 44. When I played in front of an audience in my teens I felt like a rock God!

Now it's more slight apprehension beforehand, go through the motions during, and glad it's all over with in the end. 

Kind of how I suspect Mrs NFF feels about my conjugal visits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

I have to agree with most of the sentiment expressed by the OP. and have for years now avoided any musical scenarios where I might accidentaly find myself upon a stage seeking validation from strangers. This includes going to meet other musicians 'just for a jam' because one thing leads to another and, well...

It amuses me, the reaction I get sometimes, when people find out I play an instrument but don't want to play for an audience. They range from a dog that's been shown a card trick, to shock and anger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like it - kinda - but I can fully understand why you wouldn't. I guess its one of those things, you can be as prepared as you can be, but some elements are beyond your control and you can't really beat yourself up if those elements aren't so great and come to light. 

57 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

but if you ask the right questions up front

Just for interest, what would "the right questions" be? We're at the stage where its a new-to-gigging band, in a year we've gone from 1st gig to actually being able to get regular gigs, gradually getting our name out there. So at the moment, we are doing a variety of different ones to see how it goes. But eventually, we should be able to be more selective and get the better ones and not need to do so many (bad ones).

3 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Just for interest, what would "the right questions" be?

Just generally trying to sift out nutters. We often get, "can you do my wedding on x date?" Then we ask about the venue, power, whether they need lights, what time they want us on, how long to play for... When the answers are too vague or far, far, far too specific you get the idea that they will either be a nightmare in terms of giving you a list of Queen and Emerson Lake and Palmer songs to play or just "the reception is at this pub, play from errrr 7 until 1am? Whatever you like really". When you get something along the lines of an enquiry about x date to play two 45 min sets finishing no later than 11pm, or if it's a function longer sets and tighter rules, you know you're probably safe. 

Then again, for community stuff, always ask about backline. The best ones often have a pro sound company running the PA, though I have seen an event with two "stages" and bands from each stage trying to share a five watt guitar practice amp because the organisers thought bands just arrive with full PA etc to play for forty mins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Lugging gear around, trying to fit it all in the car. Spending the best part of an hour at the other end unloading it and setting everything up. Standing round like a spare part waiting to go on, then performing to a load of annoying, well lubricated people, who, in many cases aren't even interested. Only to have to break everything back down while the audience who haven't shown a bit of interest all night, start demanding "more". Then lug everything around back into the car, drive home, lug it around again into the house and finally get to relax about 3 hours after the people you've been "entertaining" have gone to bed. 

Yeah, this really sucks the big, hairy meatball. Plus, the landlords, etc who are impossible to get hold of outside of the gig itself for more bookings. On the night, they're all, "Yeah, really great, give me a call in week for some more dates," and then tumbleweed.

However, I do like playing live, it just needs roadies and an agent.

• Like 4

I recognise many of the OP’s feelings.

I’m on an enforced break from gigging at the moment and while I am looking forward to playing with others again when the time comes, I must admit that I’m more looking forward to getting out, having a couple of beers and watching others play. The thought of those unloads in the wee small hours are becoming far less appealing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

That sounds suspiciously like a plug to me... 😂 

Hit us up with a link to your channel, you may up that subscriber count 😉

It wasn't intended as a plug, honest Gov. 😄 

Oh well, if you insist...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vFv6-gg4sDK0K8YK770sA?view_as=subscriber

That'll be an even bigger audience that's not really interested. Now back on topic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pretty early on I realised that the gig is the only reason I play bass.

It's not why I picked up the instrument. After that first gig I was traumatised, but after the second gig I was hooked. The bigger the audience the bigger the buzz when you get it right. Trying to be a better musician and come together and excel as a band is the challenge and when you get it right there is no better feeling. When an audience is enjoying itself and you know that's because of you, it just brings a smile to your face.

The journey, the idiots you meet, the miles you have to travel, unsocial hours, the years of practice,  getting ripped off, cheated and treated badly by agents, managers, promoters and other band members etc. . . all fades away if you get those few hours on stage right.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Pretty early on I realised that the gig is the only reason I play bass.

It's not why I picked up the instrument. After that first gig I was traumatised, but after the second gig I was hooked. The bigger the audience the bigger the buzz when you get it right. Trying to be a better musician and come together and excel as a band is the challenge and when you get it right there is no better feeling. When an audience is enjoying itself and you know that's because of you, it just brings a smile to your face.

The journey, the idiots you meet, the miles you have to travel, unsocial hours, the years of practice,  getting ripped off, cheated and treated badly by agents, managers, promoters and other band members etc. . . all fades away if you get those few hours on stage right.

I think that’s the million dollar question for many. Does the buzz and enjoyment you get from the gig outweigh all the crap that comes with it. While ever it does, happy days. But once that starts to swing the other way and gigging becomes a chore, it’s very difficult to feel the love.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Deedee said:

I think that’s the million dollar question for many. Does the buzz and enjoyment you get from the gig outweigh all the crap that comes with it. While ever it does, happy days. But once that starts to swing the other way and gigging becomes a chore, it’s very difficult to feel the love.

Depends why you picked up a bass in the first place. Maybe people should have played golf instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

There are many aspects that are a pain in the derrière, yes. But there were times during the last year when I wondered if I'd ever play again. Now thankfully I am, and I don't care how far the drive, how late the night, how tired the loadout -- I'm in two wonderful bands and loving every second of every gig, simply because I can.

• Like 8

Over the years we have reduced the amount of gear we take to gigs and always set up the same way. If it takes longer than 45mins to get in and 45 to get out then something is wrong. 

We all carry the gear in, amps go straight into place and guitarist and I set up PA and lights while drums are set up.

One secret is to have multi-way extension leads of varying lengths laid out first thing and know how many sockets you need where. Nothing worse than everyone asking if they can use this socket or where can they plug in and trying to rearrange cable runs. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Depends why you picked up a bass in the first place. Maybe people should have played golf instead.

That’s a little harsh. There are plenty of ‘retired’ musicians who don’t gig.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like playing guitar or bass/double bass.

I love playing with other musicians.

I’m fortunate enough to play with some wonderful musicians.

I’m fortunate enough to be asked to record with some wonderful artists.

Most of the gigs I’m asked to do aren’t grotty pubs.

Most of the gigs I play I’m driven to. 

I just don’t enjoy gigging. Playing in front of people, performing, never have done. 

I don’t think I’m less of a musician, or should have swapped guitar for golf clubs. 

The reason I started playing was because of the albums I listened to, not the bands I saw. I rarely went to gigs, still don’t. 

Some people just don’t enjoy gigging. It’s not a disease. 🙄🤪

• Like 7

I don’t really do it for the music.

i love the loading, lifting, sweating, unloading, driving and small stages.

oh, and give me some uneven stairs too, lots of them! 😀

Edited by andytoad
  • Haha 7

I love the gigs, it’s the band politics that are a pain, the ‘yeah we are 100% going to do this this and this, then come rehearsal time they haven’t learnt any of them but suggest some crap that doesn’t fit in at all but they happen to like, claiming it fits perfectly (last time it was a 70s funk disco song in a band that plays 80s-00s alternative/ rock). Yes that will fit well..........

• Like 8

I sympathise... I gig a lot but there's been a couple of punter incidents in recent times that have really pi££ed me off.

It's partly a UK thing. In France or Spain you get the feeling that it would be shameful for anyone to be seen to be drunk, incoherent or aggressive at a public event. Here... widely accepted, even laughed at. Cheap coke has made it miles worse. There's rarely any meaningful security. Being threatened with a bashing or being screamed at from 12 inches away really, really takes the edge off the joy of music for me....

Hey hey, rock'n'roll. It's all glamour. 

Edited by KK Jale
  • Like 4