Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Dubster 2

Al Krow

Couldn't see a thread on this, so was wondering if anyone has had or tried one - if so how did you rate it?

Could perhaps be more interesting for synth bass rather than normal bass? (Reggae being the obvious honourable exception!)

Appreciate this is now out of production, so what's the current competition for this low end beast?

Edited by Al Krow

13 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

and I think @taunton-hobbit has these 🙂

I've got two of the first Dubsters - with a filter to shove most of the mid/top somewhere else (sep amp & spkrs) - they handle anything I can throw at them - shame Alex de-listed them, but I guess aiming them at the dub market probably didn't help sales. ( Mine are staying, btw ) Everyone I play to reckons they're frightingly good..........

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@3below and @Raggy - not wanting to go off piste on a FS thread, but am really interested to know whether your BF Dubsters are:

- the v1 or v2? 

- what else you pair yours with? 

- whether you're getting any low end boominess on your sets and if so how you have dealt with that? 

If you've got any clips uploaded of the Dubster being used, that would be fantastic - couldn't find anything much at all on YouTube! 

I bought a Dubster 2 from a member on here last  year and I think I've used it on about 4 gigs. Two were when it was twinned with a Big Baby II and powered in bridge mode from my Crown XLS1502.

The sound density was ridiculously thick but the addition of the BB2 enabled more upper frequencies to come through. However but I think next time I take it out I will have the two cabs on different sides of my power amp so I can balance the sound between the two cabs better as in bridge mode the dubster does tend to over power the low end and I think it would work better if I was able to use the BB2 for most of my sound and let the dubster add heft without taking over the volume loud.

The other two times, I have used it as a stand alone bass cab which was rather good.

Just to add,  all gigs were reggae which it is deal for. The only other time I think it would be suitable is if I was gigging outdoors.

If you can find one, it's a great addition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@3below and @Raggy - not wanting to go off piste on a FS thread, but am really interested to know whether your BF Dubsters are:

- the v1 or v2? 

- whether you're getting any low end boominess on your sets and if so how you have dealt with that? 

If you've got any clips uploaded of the Dubster being used, that would be fantastic - couldn't find anything much at all on YouTube! 

Mine is the 2x15 Eminence 3015LF model (as per above sale). Not aware of boominess, Usually I use an SG bass, Sansamp Leeds and QSC power amp.  It works equally well with Peavey Tour 700 I have.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

- the v1 or v2? 

Mine is the V1 version, I bought it new in 2010. I've ran it with a hell of a lot of amps, Markbass LMIII, GK 1001 and 2001 RB's, Genz Streamliner and Shuttle 9.0, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, TC Blacksmith, Orange Bass Terror and currently an Orange Four Stroke 500.

The only amp I feel it didn't work with was the Streamliner, it sounded way too 'flubby', if that's a word, no real definition no matter what I did, to be honest I didn't really get on with that amp at all.

I use it in two bands, one is a Ska/Two-Tone band and the other, a Punk band. Always a P bass (with flats on at the moment) in both bands. I have never felt it was too boomy, apart from with the Streamliner, but I do like a bass tone that sits under the band, saying that, with round wounds on I can get pretty close to JJ Burnel's bass tone with the right EQ settings. What that sounds like out front, I do not know but I have had lots of good compliments from other bass players on my tone/tones. Alex told me that there is not much treble on these cabs and the output drops like a stone at about 1.5Hz, but I have never felt wanting for top end. 

Edited by Raggy
  • Like 2

I've got two FR800 and an LF1400 (essentially 2 powered BB2 and 1 powered Dubster 2) to all intents and purposes that's just like having a PA system just for bass. I only ever use them together as PA for the whole band. That much bass on stage would be a pain. Even if I was playing reggae I'd want to leave that sort of low end to the foh system. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 13/07/2019 at 20:23, Al Krow said:

Haha - they're not easy to get hold of to try out! I'm particularly interested in the more compact Dubster 2 or an equivalent from another manufacturer. Not sure what the alternatives are? 

Thread resurrection here, did you ever get the dubster 2  Al, I’m eyeing them up at the moment , what’s your thoughts 🙂

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thread resurrection here, did you ever get the dubster 2  Al, I’m eyeing them up at the moment , what’s your thoughts 🙂

Nope dear fella. One never turned up and I guess we kinda went a different route with the band and got ourselves a RCF 702 AS II sub woofer (which we've not properly used in anger yet) and then I completely forgot about it... probably got distracted by a global pandemic or something!

You managed to spot one out in the wild?

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2019 at 11:47, mrtcat said:

I've got two FR800 and an LF1400 (essentially 2 powered BB2 and 1 powered Dubster 2) to all intents and purposes that's just like having a PA system just for bass. I only ever use them together as PA for the whole band. That much bass on stage would be a pain. Even if I was playing reggae I'd want to leave that sort of low end to the foh system. 

Yeah, sound guys don't tend to like too much sub bass on stage so not using mine as much as I had hoped but these days when I use my big baby II and Dubster II, which is like a passive FR800 and passive LF1400, :-), I use them on a separate channel on my power amp and just put a bit of the dubster it in to add to the low end density without it being noticeably loud or over powering. It makes the low volume sound much fuller.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

No not yet, they seem to be quite rare, probably a bit overboard for home use at the moment but you know how it is 😁

Depends on how much your neighbours love bass!! 🙂 I hope you find one. I don't use mine a lot but when I do it shows it's worth.

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2019 at 11:47, mrtcat said:

Ahhh...you still have this?! I thought it had been sold - that is one serious rig! 

IMG_8393.JPG

When you have something comparable @Reggaebass I probably won't need to make trek up from E3 to E9 to hear it will I? 😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Did you go off selling it ?

😎

I've just spotted I'm quoting a post from immediately before the thread resurrection back in July 2019 - lol! I suspect that rig may well have gone to a new home by now! 

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a well serious rig, would I be right in saying you could use the bottom 18 as a single cab or would you need other cabs to go with it , is the LF 1400 another name for the dubster 2

LF 1400 was the Dubster 2 with a 1400W power module included. A beast!

• Thanks 1