Why become a member? ×

Rig, board and bass shots

joegarcia

[attachment=17465:DSCF0043.JPG]

Current Rig:
Sunn 1200s with DBX 160x and Aphex 204 for clean and dirty bass and Marshall JCM800 100w bass series and other side of Aphex for effected/octave up bass.
Both through Aguilar GS412's.
Sounds immense.

[attachment=17466:DSCF0048.JPG]

Board:
Two channels, most of the pedals on the left are for the 'bass' signal (sometimes with octave down) and most of the others are octaved up through the Unibass into the Marshall.

[attachment=17467:DSCF0068.JPG]

Current bass family left to right in the order I bought them:

'Joodee Performer Bass' 70's Jap P copy, my first bass, now with EMG's.
Ovation Magnum IV
Musicman Sabre
Gordon Smith 'Rickenblacker'
Kramer XL8 8 string (octave pairs)

Edited by joegarcia

Niiiice, i bet that rig moves some air!!!

Also i think i've said it before, and i'll say it again, nice sabre, i didn't know brown was a standard colour though? or do my eyes decieve me?

I like the rickenblacker too, very nice, would look very swish with a 3 ply black pickguard. Is that a darkstar and a bartolini I see in there?

Edited by budget bassist

Bartolini's?! Pah!
It's a Dimarzio Model One at the neck neck and an old single coil soapbar.
Yea, the Sabre is original as far as I'm aware, certainly looks it anyway. Haven't seen another but have seen a Stingray from the same period in the same colour.

Edited by joegarcia

[quote name='BigRedX' post='358529' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:26 AM']Nice Kramer! Looks in good condition. Do you have the octave strings fitted?[/quote]

Not at the moment no. I play on top of the fretboard as I have weird arms that can't go palm up. It's really hard to fret the pairs as they were so I'm going to get a reverse nut so the pairs are the other way around, just haven't gotten round to it yet. Yea it's in really good nick, really happy with it, it sounds amazing.

Had a 450b in pretty good condition too which I bought off Dangerboy but I sold it to my neighbour when the XL8 came up on Ebay. Gonna buy it back off him soon though.

Cool - I love the sound of 8-string basses, but I still haven't found one I'm completely happy with so at the moment I'm faking it using a piccolo bass to double up a standard bass line when recording (which of course does give you the opportunity to use harmonies other than the octave in places). I keep looking at the Kramers but they always seem to go for more than I'm prepared to pay especially considering that they're short scale and not all the models have separate intonation adjustment for the octave strings.

post some pics when you get it working with the octave strings - the Kramer is one of the models where swapping the pairs over should be possible (unlike the Deans and others with all the tuners on the head). I'd still check the string path before getting a new nut cut though.

[quote name='bozzbass' post='358820' date='Dec 19 2008, 02:12 PM']What is the big pedal in the centre of the board, just below the red Alesis box? With all those knobs it looks pretty juicy!!!!

Bozz[/quote]

Thats a Bugbrand custom Weeviliser Extreme! It's a ring mod, drive, low pass and band pass filter with expression pedal out.

Don't have a roadie as such but usually tour with a few crew yea. Played the London Astoria this week and their crew are amazing. When we showed up I blinked and our stuff was on stage. After the show I went down to the van only to find my cabs floating above me being winched down from the stage door about 20 foot up.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='362004' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:17 PM']Are you getting any use out of the Tap Trem? I don't see it on the board.[/quote]

Yea, I gigged it the other week actually with Damo Suzuki (Can). Don't use it for my main band though. I had it off the board right at the end of both chains so could do autopanning between the two rigs. Sounded awesome!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='362025' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:35 PM']Do you live in a bass shop? :huh: :)[/quote]

Most of this stuff is stored at the practice space but me and Mr Foxen (who I live with) have a fair bit of stuff at home so yea it sometimes feels like it.

Edited by joegarcia

• 4 months later...

Update from me:

Sunn 1200s/DBX 160x/Aphex 204
2x Aguilar GS412
Traynor YBA 200-2
Ashdown ABM810
Roland RE-301 Space Echo

The ABM810 isn't mine anymore as it was totally unnecessary. Traynor is on it's way out, soon to be replaced by an Ampeg V4.

Group bass shot at a gig with the newest bass addition, the '86 CIJ Jazz - now with Wizard Hammers:

Edited by joegarcia