Why become a member? ×

Down In The Sewer

Hobbayne

Not all Prog was as whimsical as Jon Anderson's Yes. Greenslade had songs about sado masicism, Animal Farm and corrupt journalists. The Prog bit was the length of the track, the sections, the keyboard solos etc. Even JJB's tone is pure Chris Squire. Labels don't always stand up to scrutiny. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

I agree, although usually guys like JJ with huge martial arts abilities are rarely 'bated' into fighting? But JJ enjoys it!:D

I have a mate who’s a 4th Dan Taekwondo, trains MMA, and loves a scrap. 

Me, I’m a lover, not a fighter. 😂

• Haha 1

Early Stranglers, to me, are just plain old rock, but it's very clear they rode the punk wave, and intentionally so. In fact, in their earlier incarnations a few years before their breakthrough they were decidedly more mellow. Strange Little Girl, for example, began as an early demo from this period. B&W would be easy to classify as post-punk, but so would an awful lot of albums from 1978 that don't necessarily sound like one another. Raven and Gospel are damn near art rock. Then, onward through the 80's they were more of a pop band than anything else, really. 

For whatever it's worth, Dagenham Dave's other favourite bands were Genesis and The Tubes! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mentalextra said:

I think he did a pretty good job on 'golden brown'?

Passable, yes. Pavarotti-esque, not really. 😉😂

Whilst I’m aware Jon’s voice is extremely polarising, I’m a bit surprised anyone can think Hugh is actually a better singer technically.

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Whilst I’m aware Jon’s voice is extremely polarising, I’m a bit surprised anyone can think Hugh is actually a better singer technically.

While he may be able to hit a note, I'd prefer the sound of a screaming baby with an airhorn scraping a metal gauntlet down a 100 foot blackboard to that Yes geezer!

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

While he may be able to hit a note, I'd prefer the sound of a screaming baby with an airhorn scraping a metal gauntlet down a 100 foot blackboard to that Yes geezer!

And that’s absolutely your choice to make. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

JOn Anderson's problem is he only has one gear he uses regularly - 'whimsical'.

I think Jon’s main problem for most is that he’s way too obviously “hippy”.

Oddly, he’s one of very few high-voiced male singers that I really like (Yes being my favourite band), although even I’ll admit it took a while at first. 

Unlike say Axl Rose, who to me sounds very much like a screaming baby with an airhorn scraping a metal gauntlet down a 100 foot blackboard. 😉

16 hours ago, 4000 said:

Passable, yes. Pavarotti-esque, not really. 😉😂

But to be fair to Hugh, the stranglers songs often require that sort of 'angry shouty yob voice' (JJ was good at that), rather than pavarotti:D

1 hour ago, mentalextra said:

But to be fair to Hugh, the stranglers songs often require that sort of 'angry shouty yob voice' (JJ was good at that), rather than pavarotti:D

Both Hugh & JJ were very capable of good, well-executed melodic vocals too, and were always completely appropriate for the material.

Both (to me, at least) massively preferable to overblown 17th century music-hall hollering, regardless of the level of classical training involved! :D

• Haha 1