Why become a member? ×

Thinking of selling the Sei Jazz.

bubinga5

This has been going on in my mind for a few months now after hours and hours/months of rehearsals. Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore it's feel. playability. Its way out there..THE best instrument I've ever played, period. Its so special. 

BUT.. I'm a 75 Jazz bass tone guy, and no matter what I do I can't get that 76' Fender Marcus tone. Tonally its just not going to do it even with an East pre. im not sure sure what to go for. My first thought was an Xotic 5, or something with 70's spacing. ?

I used to own an MIJ non export MIJ 75 Jazz and it was everything I wanted tonally but it wasn't a 5 string and it was heavy. I only play 5 strings now because I need that thumb rest. 😂 But seriously I want a 5 string Jazz that has that Marcus vibe. I don't want a Fender MM5 string BTW. Ive thought about a Fender but ive play so many floppy B strings its put me off. I won't be selling it for a while for anyone interested

Any thoughts. ?

This is what I have my eye on . Nothing hugely expensive but THAT tone. I play nothing close to MM but that tone is great in all sots of musical situations. And the pre and pup coming from the USA Xotic,S .. Im going to bass direct to play one. 

Edited by bubinga5

11 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

This is what I have my eye on . Nothing hugely expensive but THAT tone. I play nothing close to MM but that tone is great in all sots of musical situations. And the pre and pup coming from the USA Xotic,S .. Im going to bass direct to play one. 

Ah, yes. I was eyeing these up very recently too! Sounds great and the Xotic preamp is nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

Sadowsky? Yes, I am a fanboi. But seriously, I don’t know your budget, but the Metro express basses have been very well received. And of course MM’s Jazz was heavily modified with a version of the current Sadowsky pre. 

Lovely but overpriced imo. I ordered a Metro MV5 12 years ago direct from Sadowsky when they were £1500. Im never ever going to pay Sadowsky prices now.Nearly £3000 for a Metro. Even the cheapest Express model is way over priced imo at nearly £2000. I would rather buy a similar quality bass Like a Lakland  55 /Xotic pro/ and buy the pre. Sorry Roger but I think your over pricing your instruments. 

Edited by bubinga5

10 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, yes. I was eyeing these up very recently too! Sounds great and the Xotic preamp is nice.

You dont have to play like Tibbs to make that bass sound great. or maybe you can play like Tibbers. ? Who knows. All I know it sounds like the perfect mid 70's Jazz bass. And it has that wonderful Xotic preamp.

14 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Trouble is, Bass Direct only have the ProVintage in white at the moment, when the best colour is clearly sunburst ;)

May be a little while before BD gets more in stock but they will eventually I’m sure

Like your music taste you are correct.😎😉 What a beauty. USA Xotic electronics pickups all round.

fullsizeoutput_32d.jpeg

56 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Get your sound out of the Sei.

Make Marcus Miller jealous 'cos he doesn't sound like you.

Yeah ive sent him some sound files. Ill wait until 2m. If he doesn't get back to me by then I know he's got his cans on to see what note im gonna play next. 

• Like 1

Don't sell Bubinga, this is just GAS, which will pass - often after playing in a different room, or if your guitarist tweaks his EQ.

I remember reading before how much you love that Sei, and as you say, they don't come up often so replacing it if you change your mind will be difficult 😀

I've spent days convincing myself I need a different bass before playing another gig and realising my Lakland jazz does exactly what I need.

Are there different strings that could take your Sei closer to the Miller sound?

20 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

To be honest I’ve played lots of basses from various manufacturers at all price levels which do a pretty good impression of the tone in that video. Ironically it’s a tone I don’t like, but I’ve never struggled to get it.

I know some don’t believe in the different wood thing, but what about trying a maple fingerboard? In fact I’m sure you could, if necessary, sell your Sei and get Martin to build you something more in that ballpark, then you’d have the best of both worlds. Also, did you replace the Barts in the end? They wouldn’t be my choice for that tone, based on my experience with them. Have you discussed it with Martin? Maybe he’d be well placed to advise. 

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Are there different strings that could take your Sei closer to the Miller sound?

This is also a solid suggestion, and a potentially cheap first try. Also, I don’t know what your amplification is, but maybe look at that too. 

The Marcus Miller slap thing is fun and all but it’s better having your own sound. I always get bored of the ‘perfect Marcus sound’ after a while, you hear it everywhere. 

IME though the sound is something you can only get with the right spacing, for that clear raspy slapped E string - move the rear pickup towards the neck and it gets a bit more rounded and burpy.