Why become a member? Ɨ

A pedal down memory lane!

Al Krow

I put together my first pedal onlyĀ a couple of years' back, having beenĀ pretty much a pedal agnostic before then.

The rabbit hole was a pretty steep one!Ā šŸ˜‚Ā I've bought and soldĀ a LOT of pedals since then, 55 to be precise!Ā Ā So it's kinda interesting to look back on my first board and how it compares to my current one.

First pedal board

PB - 1708 (first).jpg

Current pedal board

PB - 1907 II.jpg

What about you guys - what's your pedal board journey been like and what's the single biggest thing you've learned along the way?

What did your first pedal board look like and how does it compare to your current board?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I've never used a pedalboard, always been more of a "put the pedals I'm using on the stage" kinda guy.

I've learnt a couple of things along the way. I love a digital delay, most of the pedals I've bought in the last 5 years haven't hung around (which is frustrating as I basically got my needs sorted hundreds of Ā£'s ago!)Ā and the HM-2 is still my favourite distortion of all time.

Iā€™ve learned that the more gear I have the more I want, and more importantly the more there is to go wrong, so my pedal journey has me down to my trusty Para Driver and a good old faithful Boss TU2 tuner.Ā 

• Like 1

Yeah my boards only ever really had a drive or two of some sort. Itā€™s really depended on the gig but over the last few years itā€™s been an eq/preamp/DIĀ unit of some ilk, a drive and a comp. Most gigs donā€™t require me to have much more than that. In most of my bands in factĀ Iā€™ve always had aĀ variation of this basic set up. Maybe a bit of a A/B switcher to achieve variations of driveĀ but nothingĀ really that complicated.Ā Itā€™s worked well and like Lozz said above the more there is the more can go wrong.

My pedal board has always basically meant I could show up to a gig and if the amp were to go down mid gig I could still carry on with a decent enough sound to finish the show with no dramas. Different approach to some of the mega boards people seem to use but different applicationĀ I suppose!

I find a lot of these pedals board threads itā€™s about having the latest bitĀ of gear rather than the most functional but again my approach to pedals has been about what I perceive I need to get through the gig should the amp die while belting outĀ out the R-3-5 rather than sounding like 1970ā€™s sci fi or a dystopian futurešŸ˜€

• Like 1

Got my first board on a trip to Sydney Australia while working on the cruises in 2004!Ā I'd previously just used boss multi fx (boss Me8B) but didn't really use fx that much! (Prior to the multi all I'd use was a tuner and a bids OC2)

I'd bought an EBS multicomp to take on the ship and i loved it to bits and i got my then girlfriend (now wife) to pick me up an EBS octabass when she joined the ship! So I decided I needed a board as bringing them seperately was a PITA! I bought the Boss BCB As it was powered and a behringerĀ small stone clone at the same time! I added more pedals ehen I left the ships in 2006 and have been down theĀ  rabbit hole ever since šŸ˜‚

The funny thing is! Over the years I've had most of the high end boutique comps and i always end up going back to the EBS the sound and action just works for me šŸ˜

First boardĀ 

FB_IMG_1563011332647.jpg

Latest boardĀ 

20190709_200149.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

That's a really nice story Lee and gonna be a hard one to top: your pedal board came pre-loadedĀ with a future wife! :)Ā 

Yeah she's a keeper!! Unlike that behringer phaser!!!! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ id joined the ship first and asked her to go to the bass gallery as she was in London and get the octabass! Bless her! She must have loved me šŸ˜

Edited by lee650

First board all ebs pedals in a lovely case. Bought ready assembled using insurance money after having my gig box nicked.Ā 

Sold after very little time, just overwhelmed by the possibilities, unable to see the wood for the trees and unwilling to put the time in to learn.Ā 

Bought a camera with the cash, camera long since obsolete and virtually worthless.Ā 

Ā 

No pedals for the longest time. Now utterly hooked. Home use at present but have tried a couple of gigs with different set ups. Discovering the importance of pedal chain ordering at the moment.. currently have three boards, two full.Ā 

• Like 1