Why become a member? ×

SOLD : New D'Addario Helicore 1/2 Scale Set H610
£100
Ipswich

For Sale, one set of D'Addario Helicore 1/2 Scale Stranded Steel Core Bass Strings, H610 . Medium Tension.

These strings are new, and the packets are sealed, although the box has been opened. I bought these for a project 1/2 size bass which didn't happen, so they're surplus to requirements.

Pictures to follow, but they look just like the ones on D'Addario's web site.

£100 Posted to UK.

Edited by pete.young

• 10 months later...

These are too small for my DB, but if it helps anyone, when I had my first one (Zeller by Stentor) the vibrating string length was 103.5cm and at least in Savarez (Corelli) book that classed as top end of 1/2 size. 

IIRC they worked on 105cm for 3/4, and mine these days is 108cm which fell into 4/4, and at the time Savarez didn't do a 4/4 Corelli set. The Savarez strings came with dire warnings about premature failure if the unsilked part of the string went over the post of the tuner, and you obviously don't want the silked part going through the nut slot. 

Bob Gollihur, who initially made me aware of Corelli strings, has a bit further apart sizings: https://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/2-SIZES_DOUBLE_BASS_SIZING_FAQ.html

Trickier to hunt down the info at D'Addario, but click on the Learn More tab on RHS and there's plenty of good reading in there..

https://www.daddario.com/products/orchestral/bass/helicore-hybrid/helicore-hybrid-bass-string-set-12-scale-medium-tension/item/daddario-helicore-hybrid-bass-string-set-12-scale-medium-tension-3646/

average 1/2 is 97.5cm, 3/4 is 106. They don't even show 4/4.. probably so impressive that it breaks the internet. Of course, DB lengths are nominal, and string length also depends on distances behind the bridge and above the nut. 

I just looked at one of my spare 3/4 Helicores, and ballend to silk measures 139.5cm.

Confusingly enough, 3/4 D'Addario work fine on my 108cm. They sound great for me.. GLWTS, Pete! 🙂

On 12/07/2019 at 15:41, pete.young said:

For Sale, one set of D'Addario Helicore 1/2 Scale Stranded Steel Core Bass Strings, H610 . Medium Tension.

These strings are new, and the packets are sealed, although the box has been opened. I bought these for a project 1/2 size bass which didn't happen, so they're surplus to requirements.

Pictures to follow, but they look just like the ones on D'Addario's web site.

£100 Posted to UK.

Someone has just pointed this post out to me, I realise it's nearly a year since you posted this but are they still available. Many thanks

Maria  ( Beaven)

10 hours ago, Maria Beaven said:

Someone has just pointed this post out to me, I realise it's nearly a year since you posted this but are they still available. Many thanks

Maria  ( Beaven)

Hi Maria, yes they are. I'll send you a message.